Tom's Hardware of Finland

you gotta believe

2 Likes

if you are even thinking about going near the Vega 64 or a custom design thereof, it will get very cramped with most node X0X cases. I’ve circled around those cases and was ready to admit defeat and go with the node 605, the availability (or rather lack of over here) made me think again.

804? 6? is rather boxy and would defeat the wish for something tiny that slots into the hifi rack…

PSU-wise, bequiet does offer some smaller types, SFX-class iirc? but then you are already hitting the ceiling with 400-450W at max, and the… bequiet is quite pricey.

Corsair 250d case has been a wonderful building experience, and can be recommended for first time project, since it offers loads of space and even takes on an optical disc drive without sacrificing anything, has enough space for a better GPU and takes normal ATX PSUs without any issue. Only thing is its dimensions are somewhere in the node 804?6? region, so I want to go smaller than this for my build, so…

bonus post:

Vega 64 dimensions to my knowledge:

(WxDxH, in mm)
Asus 64-OG8: 298 x 52. 5 (!!) x 134
amd VEGA-ref design: 282 x 40 x 130

note that these have been taken from the internet™, and verified only by taking the height of the backplate, to visually check on screenshots/nice pictures of these cards if these values roughly hit home… varying size, esp 298mm will make it VERY cramped in cases that promise to deal easily with 290mm cards.

i was thinking about doing this but my fears that 11 would chug on a 5s were unfounded and it runs perfectly well

that this phone looks like it’ll be supported for 6+ years really is something, i recently saw goog self congratulating for managing a whole 2

2 Likes

well, the 5S was the first “holy shit, apple CPUs” milestone, it’s only right that it be celebrated

yeah i haven’t been paying super close attention for the last few years so i only just realised how far ahead they were there

yeah. the X is actually totally worth it compared to other comparably priced phones given the feature set it offers, it’s just the the whole smartphone pricing market has skyrocketed since the last time android was worth buying in 2013 due to rising chinese manufacturing costs and whatnot

I can’t imagine I won’t get 5+ years out of it though, I got 4 out of this stupid windows phone for chrissakes

1 Like

to be fair, those four years:
that’s three operating systems, three hardware generations and roundabout three sold devices. J had a 830, you had a 925 iirc and… ballmer surely had every device OK, i admit defeat.
They sold ~30 devices, fine.

1 Like

It looks like the i5 8400 might be the best price/perf ratio for games except motherboards start at $100.

The pricing is very weird for the unlocked i5 - so high that you’re probably meant to look at the non-k i7. Same goes for the i3, where there’s no turbo and the unlocked part is about the same price as the 8400.

ASUS prepping mITX boards to be released later this month. B350 & X370 versions, tho 370 seems to be a branding exercise only.

now if only there were any signs of VEGA custom designs…

X370 has more PCI-E lanes than B350, which is why they can do SLI and B350 can only do Crossfire. This is more or less meaningless in a mITX setting unless they design the board to have more m.2 slots over a B350 equivalent, since a mITX X370 board would have more lanes free due to only having one PCI-E slot.

With that said, since X370 is seen as a more “premium” chipset, those boards also have more features, though that seems to be more prevalent in ATX boards.

Also, why Vega, even I’m not that much into AMD fetishism that I would spend more for less

2 Likes

good point, i actually didn’t pay attention to the backside of the mainboards/prototype pictures that appeared on the web this week. I don’t think i’d need a second m2 port, but you never know.

Had a winphone, am driving a french FF barge, unhealthy love for SQEX games… add AMD addict to that and call it alternative taste, I think?

1 Like

the radiator on my cpu cooler makes noises now and this is what is pushing me to finally want to get a new computer

it’s probably not a bad time to buy a desktop CPU if ryzen 1600s get cut in response to coffee lake

laptop CPUs are still in wait and see another year

similarly I wouldn’t really expect a significant improvement on pascal GPUs for a while but everything north of a 1060 is really expensive

hi, checking in from the real world

still feeling the aftereffects of the cryptocurrency mining card rush

1060s and 570s/580s are still pricey for their performance (consider their performance relative to a GTX 970 or an RX480, cards that at the ~200 USD mark before eth blew up. I mean, 970s are cheap because they can’t mine worth shit compared to GCN but you get my point)

I see no sane reason to not grab an 8400 and a cheap mobo if you ignore the fact that Intel paper launched the fuck out of Coffee Lake

Thanks to Shmini Atzeret I got an 8400 from B&H when they started taking orders again just now. :+1:

maybe an egpu that has an ok price point? idk

getting there – looks like getting a box that include the GPU helps in terms of pricing – but that one is too short to accommodate replacing the GPU with a full-size 11" model in the future despite shipping a full 450w PSU!!! they fucked up the simplest part!

that’s a funny way of spelling “locked you into their product ecosystem”

also buying reference boards is kind of a fool’s game when a little patience yields numerous aftermarket designs for little upcharge

well, you’re speaking to someone who bought tin snips to cut a hole in the front of his ITX case because he needed to fit a reference board he got for free and it was like half an inch too long for the existing frame (though it still fits behind the plastic faceplate so it’s not like it’s totally hideous now)

so generally speaking it’s good to be prepared

particularly as “eleven inches of clearance” is getting to be about as standard as “300w of 12v” for high-end nvidia GPUs. their thermal targets have been very very consistent for a while and will likely remain so.

1 Like