Tom's Hardware of Finland

Ergonomics is a good reason. Watch the keyboards; I’m aggravated by the recent turn to ultra-shallow keyboards and dislike new MBP and ultrabook keyboards (including my own).

But maybe don’t listen to me as I’m growing into the same tech-hermitage that sees me holding on to a 6-year-old Windows phone and not seeing a single satisfactory upgrade.

1 Like

this is exactly why I got one of these instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Venue-11-7130-7139-Pro-256GB-Core-i5-4300Y-1-6GHz-8GB-Win-8-1-Pro-/263218004946?hash=item3d490403d2:g:h2wAAOSwynRZwbi6

same generation (haswell) as the SP3, but it actually has a sturdy hinge for lap use and user-replaceable storage/wifi! plus the price plummeted 9mos after release because no one was buying windows 8 stuff, it was like $600 with the dock and the dock has a second battery in it

I preordered an iPhone X case so now I have to buy one

it’s an insulting amount of money but I need to replace my phone already and both the entire android ecosystem and all other iPhone form factors have been so bad for the past few years, I had to do it

finally bidding adieu to the rooted lumia 925

2 Likes

I’d have jumped but a headphone jack is a redline the same way as no physical function keys is…

man, I know

at least they still give you the dongle

plus I actually like apple earbuds

like, is an xps 13 with eGPU enclosure something that is actually viable? or am I just being overly optimistic? I don’t know how I’ve ended up in this headspace :expressionless:

might be odd rexommending this, but i kinda have to kill the urge to get this

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/workstations-thinkstation-p-series/thinkstation-p-series-tiny-/ThinkStation-P320-Tiny/p/33TS3TP320T

in a killer-spec variant as a Desktop - well, “Desktop” - replacement, accompanying the ryzen mATX win10 gaming-box-only build that i am stupidly planning for a while now.

The draw of a tiny box that i can power with a Laptop power supply I already HAVE, is mighty ans tempting…

1 Like

XPS 13’s are kind of miraculously good for non-macbooks but they’re still not macbooks and unless you’re really particular (which isn’t to say that all of us aren’t) you’re objectively better off putting that money into a macbook and a PS4

… though that would leave me with my current machine, a phenom II quad, my programming machine/laptop, a standalone gaming PC, and this new box to replace the phenom-monster.

So that’d be four instead of one machine.
Clearly I am insane, yes, hence the urge to not even think about this tiny box you could take with you when going back home, or working somewhere else where you ‘just’ have to get your hands on one monitor… or two… or three…

I guess I should mention that I’m trying to stay on PC because my family is planning on doing the aforementioned games on PC and not PS4

although at this point I should just buy them all PS4s with the money because UGH

3 Likes

ok I’ve decided to build a PC in the node 202 case that @BustedAstromech mentioned earlier

my question is: there seems to be a version of the case that comes with a 450w PSU, and doing the online power supply calculator stuff gives me a usage of 429w. should I be wary of using the 450w one? my cousin seems to think that I don’t have much overhead for if that power supply gets old

I tell everyone that total wattage doesn’t matter at all compared to 12v and I’m not sick of saying it, it’s way more salient than “the power supply gets old”

and given that I’m surprised you’re getting up to 429w, it’s really hard to actually exceed 400w these days if you aren’t using a xeon or multiple GPUs. what are the parts you’re looking at?? I wouldn’t run 429w worth of parts on 450w normally, no, but I’m skeptical that you’re getting there. most of the online calculators just inflate numbers to be safe on the grounds that no one actually checks 12v ratings, which are usually pretty accurate! makes me nuts

my beloved SG05 that I got in 2013 came with a 450w, though the price has if anything gone up since then: https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-SG05BB-450-USB3-0-Mini-ITX-Computer-Certified/dp/B008J0ZQCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506463595&sr=8-1&keywords=sg05+450w

(that one has over 420w of 12v and I’m running a Titan X with a 3570k on it very happily, I’ve overclocked both as high as they’re stable and it still never cracks 375w)

I just checked and a fully overclocked 9/1080 Ti plus a fully overclocked 1800X will actually crack 400w on their own, so with everything else you might actually struggle on less than ~430w of 12v

I am assuming this is more ambitious than you had in mind though

Remember to get a blower-fan style GPU (such as the OEM Nvidia ones) with that case

1 Like

ok I made another executive decision to go up to the node 304 – I don’t need to worry about the fan style with that case right? it’s definitely bigger than the 202 so it’s probably not a big deal I think

I figured for my first PC I built myself I should give myself a little leeway as far as space goes

Yeah, any fan style works fine with the 304. It’s my current case, so let me know if you have questions.

I would advise a shorter rather than longer (i.e. not that three-fan gigabyte shroud) GPU because the cables coming off of the PSU hit the backplate on my old 780. OTOH because of the weird PSU placement, you can use a tall CPU radiator.

yeah as much as I love cases that are the absolute minimum size you can get away with I can’t recommend that for your first build at all

It was my second build and I thought it was fine, but I had to recruit my wife’s small strong hands to pull most of the cables through.

The reason you’d use the blower in the 202 is because the GPU is pressed directly against the case side: you need air to come in from the side and go out the back. The traditional style blows air around, so you need to have the case itself pulling air in and out.

1 Like

second is fine! first is not

1 Like

Good point