Tom's Hardware of Finland

Yeah, as long as stuff like Bloodborne comes out only on consoles, I’m scared to changeup my current indieGamePlayingPC/console thinger. I imagine I’d be singing a different tune if I liked terrible PC games, but I have good taste.

yeah I don’t really disagree, if I didn’t need to have relatively high end computer hardware for work and other lifestyle stuff I doubt I’d rate it too highly for gaming alone, and I think it’s fair to say we’re not exactly in a banner time for graphically intensive stuff on open platforms

Just you wait, Star Citizen will go from massive money laundering scheme to game one day and you’ll look absolutely silly

2 Likes

i’ll join you soon in the RAM lottery and will be holding out for the WORKS BEST ON AMD sticker with my soon-to-come custom design of a Vega GFX card that runs nicely in linux.

a man can dream, right.
Right?

if the current rumors are true and Vega turns out to be an abusrd mining card, none of us will have one any time soon!

increasingly I think it’s hard to justify running anything other than intel graphics on linux

since my R8? 9? 380 OC tends to randomly lockup recently after i changed to 17.04 ( that installs mesa by default), i should be inclined to agree.

but a man can dream, right…

well, time to find out what makes also Win7 randomly crash after two laps or so when playing assetto corsa.

=> on shopping list:
1700X,
64G RAM,
1TB 850 SSD,
Win10 only (for gaming, for now)
Mobo still waiting for first 350 mITX impressions
case will bei either fractal node 605 (ATX) or… something else (mITX)

• waiting for a Vega custom design thats silent

let me just warn you now

the RAM lottery on Ryzen gets exacerbated when you elect to populate your system with dual rank sticks, which will certainly happen if you’re going to run 64 gigs in an ITX board, so odds are pretty good you’ll either be doing a lot of research or you’ll hit the 2666 barrier

i’m gonna go for the barrier for the moment. thinking about maybe just getting 32g, and then gifting 32g to my nephew since he also wants to get into PC masterracing, but undecided atm… but at least i know that the RAM is working with the 1700X, plus the board.

and, as its just a gaming box for a while, AMD hopefully can get their (linux) act together…

new iPhone is even faster than expected, basically on par with a stock 2500k

@notbov this appears to be a sweet deal on Ryzen CPUs. Would you recommend the 1600 for $180 or the 1700 for $255? It’ll be for gaming while playing streaming video/music. Comfortable with OC’ing and RAM lottery, etc.

definitely the 1600

two more cores aren’t worth the jump up in cost

1 Like

a 1600 and all of the 8 core Ryzens are effectively the same in games because 1. you’re way past bottlenecking any GPU and 2. no games are really leveraging the extra threads yet. you should only spring for the 1700 if you’re doing creative/productivity nonsense

for just gaming with other crap in the background, it still goes that 7700K>1600>7600K. the other crap won’t blow up your resources to the point where having 12 threads will blow away the IPC advantage on Intel’s side in all but the hungriest games

also on AM4, you don’t play RAM lottery, you play BIOS lottery. my updated my BIOS a few days ago and booted at DDR4-2933 for the first time. next boot, my mobo wouldn’t post until I lowered it back down to 2800.

what I’m saying is you actually have to pay attention to the QVL for memory. I think anecdotally, the Gigabyte and ASRock boards tend to do a bit better on memory though obviously you should do your own leg work on this.

2 Likes

HMM. OK after reading this I am postponing until the 8350k/8600k get US preorders and boards. Thanks all.

I need advice!

I definitely want a new laptop. I’ve been rolling with a surface pro 3 for a few years and it works ok-ish, but all of the things I thought I’d use it for haven’t really panned out (pen usage with ableton being the most egregious) so I want to go back to a normal laptop to use wherever

however, my desktop computer that I use to play games is something like 7 years old at this point with an old nvidia card that I got 3 years ago. so that probably needs to be upgraded as well

I’m not really sure if I should just build a PC and then get a new laptop or if I should try and combine the two things into a powerful laptop? my issue is that all of the cheaper powerful laptops look like ass

is there a laptop that I could play destiny 2 and divinity original sin 2 and monster hunter world on is what I’m asking

I still wouldn’t get a new MBP until next year when they have the 10nm / DDR4 / 4+ cores in everything refresh

not that that’s helpful

also, it’s not a great time to build a desktop either, because GPU prices are so high thanks to miners

I’ve never been happy squishing the two together; previously I loved the midrange ‘media’ laptops with midsize graphics cards in a mid-price chassis, but those have mostly disappeared. Now, midprice with graphics is sold as cheap gaming (see: Dell Inspiron 7000 – this is the price range and performance level I’d look at it but it’s so hideous). On the other hand, you can go Macbook Pro-alike, but those are >$2k with integrated graphics and I’m not happy with how fiddly the thermals can be on machines like that.

I’d recommend splitting functions. I’m not sure you’re going to be able to find a big improvement over the Surface Pro 3 at a budget of desktop + laptop, though; I’d probably hold onto that for a few more years (what are your complaints with it?)

1 Like

eGPUs are getting better and more viable (and they’re supported on OSX now! not that there are many non-Windows games that you’d be well served to run on anything beyond high-end Intel graphics) but the docks are still so expensive and the performance penalty is significant, which is hard to swallow when there are still like no GPUs cheaper than a PS4 worth buying:

but wait until Ice Lake to replace a Surface Pro 3 if you can

honestly the fact that I can’t stand the thing up on my lap without having to sit in a very particular position is at least 75% the reason I’m thinking about a laptop upgrade. I thought that I’d be able to get used to it and it’d be fine, but it honestly just makes it so that I don’t want to use it at all, leaving me with a desktop that takes something like 20 minutes to fully boot because it’s 7 years old. if I could get away with using a laptop as my only computer that’s what I would do

which is why I’m still seriously considering eGPU configurations – the price on the enclosures being so high makes it tough though. and I’m not unwilling to shell out a lot of money for something with a laptop gtx 1060, especially if it’s going to be about the same amount to build a PC AND get a laptop for dev stuff

I think that’s the main reason I’m even considering combining the two at all (usually I’d stay away), I just need to find solutions to both situations at the same time