Tom's Hardware of Finland

Now imagine a GameGear Redux, or LYNX2.

x86-based, of COURSE!

1 Like

seriously tho, sub 5W at full steam. Like, SERIOUSLY. this starts to feel almost uncanny after using 500+ W PSUs for years now.

well GPUs are much more power hungry

intel could almost get a GPU-less notebook CPU into the same envelope with the same power if they wanted

for that matter snapdragons aren’t too far off either, but they do it with way more cores

apple arm’s single threaded performance is like four times jaguar’s or snapdragon’s now

1 Like

but yeah there’s more of a hard limit on GPU power consumption getting down that low because:

a) GPUs have thousands of cores these days, they’re much smaller and less suited to general computing workloads but there’s only so much you can take that down by

b) GPUs are, accordingly, like hundreds of times more powerful than regular x86 or ARM CPUs at this point in terms of raw computational power, even if that obviously doesn’t generalize across many workloads, so pairing a 10w CPU with a 250w GPU is increasingly not that weird (also why Intel’s Y and U series chips only throttle when the integrated GPU is being taxed; the x86 cores are less than half the TDP)

1 Like

i thought the rumoured iphone stuff this year was a new se next month (yeaaaah) the 7 sticking around and some kind of £1500+ ‘The Phone of the Future: Today’ debacle

1 Like

yeah that was what I was referring to as the 7S

it’s not clear they’ll make an actual 7S to cannibalize sales of the confirmed new model with aforementioned new CPU yet, as it’d be the same case of the SE having the same CPU as the 6S that had been released a few months prior

I am actually getting one regardless though because I’ve had this lumia 925 for four years and haven’t been able to justify an upgrade to anything else yet and android hasn’t offered real competition in years, so if it costs a grand, so be it, I’ll last me half a decade at least

what the fuck are these intel processor names

kaby lake

coffee lake

every time i hear them they sound so weird, like are we talking about computer processors or paint swatch colors for your bathroom

sorry this was really bugging me and i had to post it somewhere

2 Likes

marketing blurb 4.0

and because x86 got lost somewhere along the way…

coffee lake is a great one

i just imagine a muddy lake honestly

like if coffee lake were a real place it does not sound like an appealing destination

but those names just reek of corporate boredom and stagnancy

1 Like

yeah 14nm intel has been a huge waste of everyone’s time

they’ve sort of improved their TDP limited mobile chips, like, the cores in the 8-15w variants can more or less clock up as high as the cores in the 77w variants now, that’s the most you can say for the past several years

they also standardized edRAM in their iGPUs but that’s totally dwarfed by real GPUs having majorly improved again for the first time in a while over the same time period

in other news this is probably the cheapest these are gonna get:

still not quite worth it I’d say, if it were $50-100 cheaper and incurred less of a performance penalty I might seriously consider one

Honestly, once we get enclosures with on par performance, to hell with desktops, I’m going slim as fuck lappy and beefy external box.

It just feels like the sanest line of progression at this point

2 Likes

Wait

Coffee Lake is going to be 1151 but you need a new mobo for it?

What the actual fuck Intel

Coasting on all that Sandy Bridge good will and AMD fuck ups made them stupid greedy

coffee lake is like 100% “ryzen but dismaying because expectations are completely different, also it’s more expensive”

total stopgap platform that adds nothing other than mainstream 6-core cpus afaik

I don’t think this is totally comparable to the P4/Athlon XP era because meaningful improvements are actually much harder to come by now, it’s not like they’ve been mining a dead-end architecture but it is starting to feel similar

If the total eGPU solution was price competitive to a gaming console, it’d be worth the hassle of PC gaming’s annoyances. High end PC gaming never really seems interesting insofar as design, though, so…

?

In the venn diagram of things that play videogames and the games they play, High End Gaming PC exclusive games seem to be really boring as far as game design is concerned. I’m also really biased, but, yeah. That

oh, I just didn’t follow your use of “insofar as”

you’re generally correct but there’s still plenty of stuff that doesn’t come to console for a while (eg original sin 2) and is only on windows these days, though most of it does turn up on PS4 eventually

there’s plenty of stuff that doesn’t come to pc for a while either!

i mean, i’m really hype for original sin 2 and yakuza kiwami, you know?

1 Like