Tom's Hardware of Finland

would you buy a biostar board though

OK, i saw a ‘soon out’-news article on the gigabyte GA-AB350N mITX board and that’s basically what I want:

The X370 chipsets on the ITX boards you can actually buy are supposedly no better than the B350 chipset, thus my interest in those. Didn’t know that it actually still seems hard to come by those, as a Quick check indicates.

oh well, that’ll be an interesting few weeks until this board is out ~~~

(and by ‘‘no better’’ i mean that the Implementation on the boards isnt making use of the X370 extra punch so far)

they are, by all indications, quality made boards with good memory support and a god awful BIOS

the main difference between the B350 and X370 chipsets are the PCIE lanes and USB 3 ports they support, which makes a difference in ATX because you can SLI but in ITX it probably means “we put better parts on the board”.

I went with an X370 board because they generally had beefier VRM setups and Intel NICs

1 Like

vega is sounding like maybe-it’s-not-just-a-driver-issue levels of Not Good

then again maxwell was pretty much on the same level as nehalem/sandy bridge in terms of “oh fuck you managed to improve performance that much without a shrink?” so it’s honestly understandable that it would take AMD years to catch up

the thing is it sounds like right now they can’t ship an 8tflop GPU for less than $600 or in a <300w envelope which is, uh, not OK for a console, and 8tflops seems more or less like where the PS5 would have to clock in to offer a real generational improvement (and even that would be kind of modest)

so I guess we’re at least waiting for a 10nm fab to be able to make chips that big before another console generation

everyone’s saying 2019 but it might actually be close…

1 Like

that’s too bad I’d rather have an amd card cause freesync seems like something more likely to end up in tvs someday than gsync.

1 Like

it’s weird that it’s this bad, it’s like a worse than linear efficiency scaling from the 480 at analogous power consumption

I would argue that all they need to do is price it under a 1080 and they’re set and then I remember that the market is currently undervaluing 1080s because 1070s, 1060s and 4/580s are being snapped up by miners

my local Micro Center is 8GB 580s in stock. they want four-hundred and fifty dollars for them.

1 Like

it’s going to be strange if the next generation provides significantly more improvement to CPUs than GPUs because that feels like it’s going against the past decade of trends in the PC space (ARM, especially apple ARM, notwithstanding) but I guess that’s a natural consequence of AMD APUs being on jaguar this long; any ryzen architecture would be at least a 3x improvement on what’s in the PS4.

on the other hand that’s also likely to move the hard limit on what a game can actually do in terms of NPC behaviour and other theoretically CPU-bound stuff for the first time since like a core 2 quad, I’m just not sure it makes a huge difference to interesting game designs at this point. THEN AGAIN that could also probably be achieved with GPGPU stuff, it’s just that no game engine wants to compete with actual render cycles on the GPU.

okay, the rest of the Ryzen stack is finally coming out

there’s no reason to buy an i3 or i5 anymore unless you compile stuff in Linux

it feels weird to have a competitive CPU marketplace again

uhhh, not so sure about that

aren’t they still 10-20% behind in single-threaded performance and chipset availability?

those are pretty big for me, as someone who also occasionally compiles stuff but considers that far less significant

fair warning though I have no special affection for AMD at all compared to you, I’m all for giving intel competition but I can’t imagine why I’d buy an AMD chip unless they were actually much better

it’s okay, good manufacturers are making B350 and X370 ITX boards now

and also there’s Ryzen boards for days in boring old ATX

it’s okay, come play the RAM lottery with us over in AMD land, it’s fun

1 Like

well, maybe

I have to admit that I’ve been dreading the idea of my 3570k system failing because buying a new intel platform would be so utterly boring and expensive and pointless

so I guess now I have a weirdo purchase I could better justify if I absolutely had to

14nm has been such a waste of time for them, I hope 10 is better

1 Like

I will say this is a pretty well-priced mobo compared to what I see lately for intel chipsets

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157780&cm_re=b350_itx--13-157-780--Product

That’s nothing, you can get B350 boards in ATX and mATX in the 70-90 dollar range, and keep in mind B350 boards let you overclock on top of the entire stack having unlocked multipliers

For the record, I’m reasonable and agree that i7s are still the best gaming and HEDT options. Just that now, they aren’t the only ones.

I’m still very very wary of taking a downgrade in single-threaded performance but I think it’s probably close enough at this point, and I’ll grant you that i5-xxxK isn’t the value it used to be

The i3 were already being cannibalized by Intel making Pentiums with HT so now with Ryzen 3, they’re doubly dead

the iPhone 7S is gonna have a more powerful CPU than the xbox one x

lol

1 Like

and what PSU are they are going for in the 7S… or just… Batteries?

:thinking:

Apple arm can do that in <5w