Tom's Hardware of Finland

So in this Day and age the gfx card is the limitiert facto in a build? Ok, didn’t expect this to matter_that_ mich, but that’s why we’re here , right. Which type of RAM are you using btw?
Have read a lot about the issues ppl have been facing with some makes …

I think the accepted wisdom is that you won’t bottleneck a mild-overclock-2500K-or-better with anything shy of a 1080 Ti running at 4K and >60FPS on most current high end games

1 Like

Depends on the game. At 1080p, I was CPU bottlenecking hard on 64-player BF1 servers (talking like, 50-60% GPU utilization) on a 2500k at 4.5 GHz. The issue is that 4K is a GPU dependent resolution (you’ll notice MS didn’t say anything about the XboneX’s CPU yesterday) and the lower resolution you go/higher framerate you want, CPU bottlenecks become more apparent and the (still rather small) IPC improvements since Sandy Bridge become clearer (which is why every sane review benchmarks at 1080p to get a better sense of CPU power).

As for memory, I would refer to the manufacturer’s QVL since it’s still early. From what I can tell, Gigabyte seems to have the widest memory support. The other prevailing wisdom is to get a kit with as low a CL as possible as that implies it’s Samsung B-die, which is The Good Shit (talking like, 3000CL14 or 3200CL15).

1 Like

the rest of my chinese wires arrived (after the usual two months) and I was actually able to install them without taking out the motherboard and every other component in the case for a change

so I finally have my beloved four-year-old-and-still-perfect ITX desktop supporting 1300mbps wifi and proper 10m bluetooth range and wireless wake on lan when I want to stream something from it or start a torrent from the other room

that was both the most inexpensive and the most aggravating upgrade I have ever done

2 Likes

almost wanted to type pixx or it didn’t happen, but will refrain from doing so … and we wouldn’t be able to see anything anyway!

I have been cooling my i7 6700k with a single noctua fan/heatsink combo. should i have two of those? it hasn’t blown up yet and it’s relatively quiet most of the time. I wish I could replace my corsair case fans with fans that are as quiet as the noctua.

I’m never opening it up again, sorry

here is a flash-on photo of the side that’s not totally obscured by the GPU (the white thing is a notebook wifi antenna affixed to the PSU, to go with the two external ones)

1 Like

Nah, you’re fine

I was going to glibly post a link to some Noctua fans but jeeze those things are pricey

are noctua fans the good shit these days if you want something as quiet as possible?

yes

you pay for it too

just make sure you plug em in to a proper PWM header or use a controller so they don’t go at full speed (which is still quiet, just less quiet)

update: I changed my case fans to “silent” in the bios and that seemed to help and also save me 50 bucks

it’s not that other fans aren’t quiet, it’s that Noctua fans are quiet while also eclipsing the performance of other fans at similar speeds. Noctua fans spin at relatively low RPMs but offer great cooling while also keeping the noise down

also odds are good if you have everything hooked up right, the loudest fan is on your GPU. like if you have a leafblower installed in your system.

or the disc drives, if you still have any in your system.

Yeah, I had a single SSD but I saw a deal on a 5TB WD black HDD and I jumped on it. I kinda hate how much noise it makes, and I didn’t really need 5TB of internal storage.

I think it’s stuck in my case now. After I got it in the tray it clicked hard, but I don’t think I can really get it out.

I wonder if PS5 is just gonna be, like, Ryzen 1500 with a ~7 TFLOP GPU once they can do that in 200w for $400

that would be OK

1 Like

that’s literally the point of Zen and Vega

make cheap, low power APUs

1 Like

okay, that’s probably being really reductive

Zen has origins in creating a server architecture that can scale up and down enough to cover an entire product stack (consumer, professional, enterprise) while keeping server targets in mind (high IPC/watt), which can be seen in the TDPs of released Ryzen chips (the 1600X, 1700X and 1800X are all rated at 95W whereas the rest of the Ryzen family sits at 65W) and the purpose of the Infinity Fabric, which is what they use to stitch clusters of cores together on die (so, the higher end of the stack like Threadripper and Epyc are just stitching together additional modules over their consumer versions). the desire for low power is so great that they kind of did themselves over one by having the 14nm node they’re manufacturing on decrease the power envelope to the point of limiting clock speeds (Zen effectively peaks in the 4.1-4.2 GHz range and requires a significant voltage bump to do so).

right now the only question mark is the gaming variant of Vega. the professional version just released and is doing in between 1080 and 1080ti performance at a fun power draw (the PCIE plugs on it imply a base 295w draw and I’ve heard it drawing 400w overclocked), so it’s a question of how far can it scale down and how well does it do once finalized for consumer applications (supposedly the drivers out for the Vega FE are missing a bunch of the feature set and are causing the card to perform in line with Fiji parts like the Fury and Fury X).

anyways, considering market conditions, now is a good time to chill out with a console and not build a computer seeing as miners have driven up the price and killed supply of every midrange GPU and DDR4 shows no signs of getting cheap again any time soon

so my nephew will build his first™ PC in the next few months, so I started window shopping for parts to be informed when it comes to determine whether he has chosen wisely …

…… and I somehow ended up having a nice little shopping list for myself.
Good that I can wait, or else i would have clicked already now. Anyway, so since he’s looking in the ATX category, I was looking at cases there and saw this
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-605
rather boring case, that somehow makes me want to shout [quote]CHALLENGE ACCEPTED[/quote] and stick a passively cooled PSU, ASUS X370 Pro and R7 1800X in it, and keep it cool w/ a NH-U9S. Why the battle-cry, you wonder? Well, case specs state that approx 125mm fan is OK, and that NH-U9S is exactly 125mm.

But then I’m just kidding (i hope), sane me’d rather go with the R7 1700, mITX B350 board and … yeah, looking for a good case now. Since the passively cooled PSU is unnecessary, but an interesting/new component to consider in terms of keepingThingsCool™, I am looking at cases with different requirements now.

as of last week they still hadn’t shipped a single ryzen itx board

Uhh, the Biostar ITX board has been out for months and Newegg has been shipping (and are sold out of) the Gigabyte and ASRock ITX boards since the start of July