Tom's Hardware of Finland

Does anyone have experience with the Silverstone SG13? It’s at the right nexus of small and cheap for a gift build I want to do.

I adore my SG05 and I think that’s the successor, right? not sure what exactly is different about it but I think you can probably buy with confidence

1 Like

Looks cool.

I’ll again shoutout the Fractal Node 202 I’m using if you want something that can also slip into an entertainment center, though it’s more cramped to build and the thermals aren’t as happy if it’s horizontal.

yeah it seems like ITX boards with risers for PCI-e slots so that GPUs can be installed perpendicular are finally becoming popular, I think that’s in that category?

the SG05 is not particularly nice to work in but it’s straightforward, the form factor is basically perfect (good ventilation and almost no wasted space), and the 450w PSU they sell with it is like 95% 12v

not having any experience in tiny cases, I would gravitate towards the Node 202 just because you can get it with a PSU for only a couple bucks more

I just remembered

what if I told you AMD outsourced the AM4 chipsets to ASMedia and then wrote the drivers for them

I’m so sorry

hm. i fear that the SG13 case would basically look like this

if i tried to use it for a RYZEN build (like I am planning do to later this year).
That or the corsair 250-esque case felix recommended, if more/any mITX boards will appear in 2017.

1. you’re not looking inside the case anyway
  2. you’re probably using parts made for cooling in small spaces (ITX-focused GPUs, low-profile CPU coolers)
  3. the SG13 supports full size ATX PSUs, so you can just spend extra for a semi- or fully-modular PSU and eliminate much of the clutter going on there
  4. Ryzen is, by all indications, pretty generous on temps and the default CPU voltage is conservative so you have a decent amount of room to undervolt
1 Like

my SG05 is stupid full of cables (and an overclocked titan X taking up one whole side unlike that picture) but with the stock fan and stock PSU I’ve only ever been clock limited by not wanting to undervolt my CPU on my kind of crappy zotac EFI

it’s a great cheap case

1 Like

I’ve honestly never understood why people use CPU fans other than the ones that come with the CPU, or why people are afraid to overclock

like for all people talk about wanting to support AMD when I hear the new CPUs don’t even come with a fan because they expect you’re gonna painstakingly pick one yourself, it’s like, uhhhhhh, I guess I’m not the market for this

20 years of never-ever-had-a-problem talking here

hell I’m running an old celeron 300A as a server at 450 with the slot-1 fan just taken off completely because it was too loud and it’s still fine

1 Like

Also, get a blower-style GPU (like the Nvidia OEM parts) because those are designed to suck in interior air and blow it out the back. More traditional ‘bolt on lots of fan’ packages are made for more open cases.

In mine the GPU intake fan snuggles up to a fan vent; it doesn’t interact with the (nonexistent) interior air.

The Ryzen parts that don’t come with a fan (currently the 1600X, 1700X and 1800X) are positioned similarly to Intel’s K SKUs, which also haven’t come with a fan for a few refreshes now; the assumption now is that if you’re getting one of those CPUs, you’re overclocking, you know what you’re doing and you need more cooling or have it lined up already (something that Intel is exploiting by limiting overclocking to higher-end chipsets but that’s another conversation)

really though, I’m recommending he go into a low-profile or ITX-focused CPU cooling solution because the coolers AMD is including with the Ryzen parts that do come with them probably wouldn’t be too comfy in that case, especially if he goes 1600 or 1700, where the included Wraith Spire has an inch of height over the standard Intel cooler

I think this is usually the case with boxy ITX designs. My Node 304 just has a long vent next to the PCI slot and it appears the SG13 does as well.

1 Like

I got a Noctua NH-D15 which is like the Big McLargeHuge of air coolers

Why? uh… it’s really quiet? I have a k-series intel chip? (I don’t have a good reason)

4 Likes

I wish those qled monitors samsung just came out with had a non-curved version. they have flat versions of their qled tvs

honestly, you could have gotten any old decent heatsink and jammed some Noctua fans on it and it would be quiet as fuck while not being a falling hazard

but fuck it, go big or go home

My understanding is curved monitors aren’t obviously dumb like curved TVs because you’re always sitting in optimal position for a monitor (if it’s your primary). If they are glass monitors then it should help with glare, too.

That is a cooler I can approve.
Got a NH-12something for my phenom II 965BE back in 2010 and never got this baby > 55ish degrees when stress testing it back then.

Do I need that kind of temp range for the RYZEN in my next build? Of course not, but that's kind of the benchmark I wanna stick to. The low profile version I slapped onto my dad's PC surely wouldn't cut it when it comes to AMD vulcan-----esque temperatures, I guess.
Still, gonna have to see what Project Cars 2 requires, then scale to the max that is reasonable/obtainable and then work around the gfx card and CPU. I expect that I won't need a threadripper for that, and since prices are still on a decline, time's working for me here atm!

I’m cooling my 1700X with a 5 year old 212 Evo with the single Noctua fan and running at 3.8 @ ~1.3v, I’m getting idle temps in the low 40s and full fucking load temps at 70, which I never hit unless I’m stress testing or these videos I’m rednering

seriously, I’m only hitting 40% CPU in Battlefield 1 and Frostbite is multithreaded as fuck (I’m more or less maxing GPU utilization in everything under 50% CPU load). I’m seriously considering just streaming everything I do because I have so much extra CPU time waiting to be used

1 Like