Scorsese doubles down

If he’d just said “bad cinema” he’d have avoided this for the most part
Using “cinema” like some weird superlative reveals Scorsese may not be that sharp a tool

3 Likes

I mean he’s just old and cranky and honestly he has the right to be

5 Likes

Calling a movie you don’t like “not cinema” (especially when it’s maybe literally the most profitable thing on the planet) is actually cool and good.

9 Likes

I watched Thor Ragnarok and that movie is not cinema

2 Likes

right, and that’s the best one

7 Likes

Scorsese has made his life work defining his vision of what cinema is and I think he has every right to be like this and it reflects nothing negative about his intelligence what the hell

7 Likes

Martin Scorsese is going to die in like 11 years and the day afterward someone will tweet “Something eerie about the timing of the loss of Martin Scorsese and the release of a true superhero movie as cinema in Spider-Man: Son of Stark

23 Likes

What I’m saying is that I hope by 2030 we can use italics on Twitter instead of having to put everything in quotation marks like fucking animals

11 Likes

i just can’t get enough of the line of attack that scorsese has solely made films that glamorize gangsters. hope this goes on for another decade.

3 Likes

okay i actually read the nyt piece and it’s really articulate and good and i’d imagine hardly anyone who is complaining about it has actually read it, or isn’t arguing in blustering bad faith

1 Like

also Thor Ragnarok sucks

1 Like

thank you to selectbutton this evening for allowing me to get very much on my bullshit

4 Likes

it’s ridiculous he had to write a fucking op-ed about this because people are apparently so guilty about enjoying marvel movies that they can’t handle mild criticism of them without going all truckpump but i’m glad he did because he is 100% correct. francis ford coppola calling marvel movies despicable is one of the funniest things thats happened all year

10 Likes

i got yelled at by a fucking grown ass woman the other day for saying i dont like marvel shit and how i dont like how disney is trying to put this stranglehold on theaters with these movies made purely for consumption. she was like “well I saw avengers endgame 3 times in theaters and it made me cry!” as if that meant i was the asshole here somehow. these people are insane

14 Likes

yeah, i once took my love of wes anderson and stephen chow and kitano takeshi films way too seriously too but at least those were good by a handful of reasonable definitions

2 Likes

whenever anybody gets mad at me for not liking these movies i cant ever get them to say why theyre so good other than “they’re fun” or “they’re competently made” but like if you ask me about david lynch or shinya tsukamoto or michael mann or something i could give you a million reasons why i like their work and its so fucking frustrating because not only is an adult yelling at me about the childrens media they consume theyre also incapable of even fucking stating why they like it in more than 3 words

6 Likes

It is a pleasurable experience to have one’s own views spoken to them in new, different, and sometimes better words. Loving this.

4 Likes

I read this as being the third sequel to avengers endgame and took it completely at face value

the only thing that makes me cry anymore is my book that my nephew gave me for my birthday about courageous cats of history

4 Likes

it says a lot about the CML (Current Media Landscape) that the aspects of popular media that compels us to activate our defenses around them is that they make you feel, like, any emotion

6 Likes

how many youtubers are in marvel costumes right now recording their DEBATE ME MARTY videos do you think

7 Likes