SB 1500 Jitsuyou Series Vol. 15 - Games You Played Today ~Catalogue of Games of the Thread~

Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection is all about old men.

It’s interesting you can see the Digital Eclipse collection’s production level evolving into what it is today. This feels like a sort of proto-form of Atari 50 etc. since the collected material is much harder to navigate and a lot of the video stuff is tucked away rather than properly timelined and contextualised. It’s not as engaging to just scroll through an endless list of videos. The history of each game is also condensed into a giant text document with headings next to a 3D render of each game’s arcade cabinet.

Of the actual games I found that 2 was most fun and I developed more of a taste for Gen-an when I usually play Genjuro. He’s just got a lot of charisma.

genan-groundslide
Overall, feels like a series that happened to take off when it probably would’ve been just the first game for most other companies. I guess the weapon and damage gimmick worked out. Most surprising thing I learned is that Shiki is not one of the core cast and only showed up in SamSho64 and some other later titles yet, as SNK do, became a huge pinup girl. She is all over the art despite not even having an entry in the character library, presumably just because she never had sprite art in any of the 5 mainline games included.

8 Likes

hi instead of looking at my Steam library and installing and playing a good game, I decided to treat a depressive episode with my need to have an opinion on Duke Nukem Forever

this is bad. like, terrible. and not awful in ways in which its reputation proceeds it, but indefensible in ways that are not telegraphed from 15 years of critical drubbing

first and foremost, the game thinks its funny. comedy is already a highly subjective and fraught thing in the best of circumstances, but the writers think that referencing a combination of the pop culture that influenced DN3D and all the stuff that happened in the 15 years between that and DNF is good and funny while I’m left to sit there and go “yeah, they referenced WoW stuff, yeah, Duke said ‘porkchop sandwiches’ after he shot a pig, I get internet stuff” and roll my eyes so hard they get tangled in each other. more to the point, they suggest a universe which Duke himself is revered and is so full of himself that it’s tiring. Duke isn’t a manly antihero, he’s just a fucking asshole. him watching Buddy NPC who’s been helping for most of the game die and quipping “he won’t be in the sequel” is both not funny and suggests a person so hilariously dethatched from the reality of their situation as to be insulting

but that’s boring, I don’t think Duke 3D was a big thing because Duke said the things and it had titty

for a game whose writing is so openly derisive of the 15 years of shooters that came out between it and it’s predecessor (ayy lmao soldier dudes offer Duke Master Chief’s power armor and Duke goes “armor is for pussies”), it’s so violently, painfully operating in the mode of then-modern shooter tropes as to be laughable. it’s the most hilariously, awfully generic FPS in a post-Halo/CoD/HL world that it having the audacity to have commentary on other games while offering nothing new itself is a baffling lack of self-awareness. they’ve drilled level design down to being boringly, hilariously linear, there’s little in the way of interesting combat arenas, they seem utterly afraid of making enemy encounters interesting between the game having… I don’t know, 5 enemy types for the whole of the game? but they never put you against more than 3 or 4 enemies at a time, there’s not a lot of mix and matching of enemy types to actually create any kind of unique or differing fights and enemies aren’t actually hardy enough to justify sending less of them at you, on top of being just, dumb as hell, negative intelligence

the game has regenerating health but again, the encounters are bad so of course it’s not actually really taken advantage of. the opening hour has a turret section and a vehicle section, there are some really out of place physics puzzles (because HL2 had those), the interactive elements sprinkled around levels feel like they’re there because Duke 3D did it and don’t really do anything fun or novel before they get completely forgotten about and they do the 2 carried weapon and swapping thing but again, nothing interesting is done with it. I knew I was in trouble when a loading screen hint noted that bosses can only be hurt by explosive weapons or turrets, so every boss encounter (5? 6? they use two bosses twice so I don’t know how we want to count those) is just about dumping whatever explosives you have and then running to an ammo crate so the RPG and pipe bombs feel like liabilities during normal levels and effectively valueless during bosses because you’ll always have an infinite supply because otherwise the game would be bricked. bosses are bad, they don’t do much and they feel like HP sponges you have to whittle down until you get to do the QTE execution. there’s an interminable and tedious section where you are driving a monster truck to the Hoover Dam and it’s like if you described the buggy section from HL2 to someone who doesn’t your know language or video games

seemingly the game seems to be at the mercy of having been built 3 or 4 times over and up-ported through two different idTech and three different Unreal engines as sections are sometimes more often than not literal minutes of gameplay. you will load into a map and do things for 3-6 minutes and hit another loading screen. like, I know we can sit here and argue that both HL games and Halo games are the same way and they just don’t fade to black and instead pause the action, but those aren’t cleanly broken off like they are here. maps are very much their own entities and they’ll cut you off from backtracking. the game is straining under its tech debt to create the kind of flowing, tightly scripted, continuous world that HL did in 1998 with taking the Quake engine and hitting it until it behanved

this is, in a vacuum, an embarrassing product for 2011 and for that generation of FPS, nevermind as the follow-up to Duke 3D. shit, Manhattan Project is probably the game you should play instead of this. the game actually unlocks the tortured development timeline for the game as an extra after you finish it and it’s telling where the heads of the developers and Randy Pitchford are that one of the entries on the timeline is “hey the infamous Duke sound board Vent call happened in this year”

how the hell was this after Sin Episode and the same year as Serious Sam 3, games that I can at least point to and say that they are in the same zip code of whatever the hell it is people liked about their respective serieses

15 Likes

The only thing I remember from the extremely brief amount of time I put into a very cheap copy of DNF I got was the load screen tool tip, if I’m remembering right, “It’s OK, you can slap our wall tits.”

Because the aliens style lair has…tits coming out of the wall? That you can slap? Damn Duke your game really thought of it all.

Maybe I saw that in the Giant Bomb Quick Look. I don’t know. I don’t really want to remember.

There’s also a ton of lines dedicated to picking up a turd out of the toilet near the beginning of the game. Real knee slappers.

4 Likes

I do love that Duke’s lifebar is labeled EGO and you can extend it by doing things that pump up his toxic masculine self image like lifting weights or getting dome

7 Likes

Downloaded the (shockingly lengthy) demo for the second Gal Guardians game. Unlike the first game, it’s an actual Metroidvania, and made all the worse for it, as the game uses that as an excuse to not have any actual interesting level design and implement a level of absolutely baffling design decisions. Even the bosses, usually something I don’t feel like I have to worry about Inti Creats fucking up…are fucked up–just some truly horny, truly boring damage sponges.

The map is better, at least.

4 Likes

Resident Evil: Revelations 2, Little Miss, with @Gimelrey

Enforced pure stealth game. Very darkly humorous. Somewhat upsetting when paired with the ending of the main game. Got an S despite “fainting” 15 times. Natalia could be a good character, I hope the habit of making young girls into villains doesn’t carry through.

Edit: Resident Evil: Revelations 2, The Struggle. Somewhat generic, but still good, better than Little Miss. Sniper rifle is peak video game sniper rifle in terms of letting you hit things from a distance while being powerful but also enforcing tunnel vision. "Sniper"s sniper rifle from Team Fortress is about the same. “If I can shoot rabbits, I can shoot zombies”. Old man and his daughter apparently lived and died for the sake of an angsty suburbanite american to improve her relationship with her dad.

Will also say that this feels like a Japanese understanding of the culture war in some way, because it both makes Moira into a very annoying narcissist and reduces this to a problem of excessive individualism rather than taking a stance for or against any shade of feminism. Position is like: “If your feminism gets between you and your family it is psychologically unhealthy and childish”, whereas US actual culture war is incoherent screeching at the mere presence of women and minorities.

But this is helpful to meditate about: basically, the culture war is about who gets to never grow up, and you can tell because it doesn’t offer any coherent theory of virtue ethics as a palliative: Gamergate or whatever doesn’t specify a way to be a woman or an adult, it’s just a demand for the sovereignty of male immaturity over everything else, including female maturity. So in a way Moira and everyone she encounters in Revelations 2 is or ends up being more mature than the context she was created in response to. The Japanese misunderstood the culture war as sane and justifiable.

6 Likes

the alien hive level is one of the most misogynistic things in gaming history probably, where you walk around executing raped women and duke keeps shooting off one liners. this level being so off putting is probably the games most enduring legacy so congratulations to 3d realms lol.

playing with shit and smearing it on the walls is one of the two good features in dnf besides the whiteboards

sin honestly acquits itself a lot better because it just reminds you that tits are awesome at often inappropriate times which is way more acceptable misogyny to me as a woman

15 Likes

Sin is respectfully horny

look, but don’t touch

also Alexis is the top in the relationship anyway

4 Likes

6 Likes

I don’t even think it’s a “Duke is a misogynist asshole” thing

I don’t think the Duke of DN3D bothers me

the writing has managed to perform character assassination on a character that barely existed, which is an achievement in itself

it’s not like we got any less horny in the last 15 years

8 Likes

Jeff Gerstmann has been on a tear ever since about how the only way Duke Nukem Forever could possibly be redeemed was if he had all his little lines and everyone around him replied along the lines of “what the fuck is your problem.” Just ignoring him or groaning or whatever, loathing him.

I think the furthest I got was when you shrink down in the burger restaurant. Can’t remember if I hit a wall or just decided I’d seen enough. Probably that.

6 Likes

It’s literally that the developers are one thousand percent creepier than the over the top character they wrote, yes. The alien hive level is so fucking out there compared to anything in duke 3d. “nobody steals our chicks and lives” and “shake it baby” turning into joylessly executing pregnant alien abduction victims and “looks like you’re fucked” in the span of like two decades is beyond parody. i’m not a huge duke nukem fan but i never got the impression it was supposed to be bitterly mean spirited the way Forever is. Duke is a chauvinist, he doesn’t hate women!

Jeff was right when he said Duke in DNF is like your creepy drunk uncle, he’s always smoking and he can’t even quote the movies right anymore, leering at young women and muttering about other peoples success while internally being like “I’m so alone”

it’s a perfect representation of george broussard’s mind in 2011

10 Likes

Yeah got to the hive and uninstalled.
It has been a slog to that point with a lot of tired cliche designs and just ok gameplay. The game felt like 20 years of cut content. Like they swept the floor at the shooter factory and packed it into a sausage casing.

I’ve heard the back third of the game is weirdly pretty good but also who cares.

7 Likes

DNF would’ve probably been bad by 2006 standards let alone releasing it in 2011. extremely funny to me that one of its biggest defenders was darksydephil

6 Likes

Cg32I28y

11 Likes

I played 40 minutes of Exophobia today, which is a metroidvania FPS that plays mostly like Wolfenstein 3-D. No aiming on the Y-Axis, mostly big rectangular rooms.

For some reason it uses basically Super Game Boy color palettes which is not an aesthetic choice I can get behind for an FPS. There’s also pretty aggressive use of shadow for distant parts of rooms that limits what you can see but apparently not enemies who will gladly shoot you from the darkness. In those 40 minutes my starting pistol got a charge upgrade that would let me blow up metal grates so I could access ventilation ducts, and I’ve encountered another type of obstacle I guess the next gun will be able to blow up.

The sameyness of the environments and the “meh” enemy designs and slow combat didn’t encourage me to keep going. I got an achievement and unlocked a color palette somehow even more difficult to parse objects within than the default. Eventually I got up to a boss that was annoying and I said no, I’m not into this enough to keep trying.

5 Likes

hahaha holy shit this made me look it up and it took three people to write dnf

5 Likes

I don’t know what the duck means

5 Likes

the last third is not noticeably better than any other part of the game

I guess the levels are a bit more varied but the game still suffers from all of its other sins

gosh what if they had more than 5 enemy types and wasn’t afraid to send 3 of them at you 95% of the time in this first person shooter

2 Likes

Thanks to a little birdie I got to play and beat the first mystery dungeon in Shiren 6 and…

he's fat

…dreams come true.

If I had the riches I’d gift this to everyone I know. I think this may be a new favorite game. Chunsoft top developer of 2026, you gotta go back and play all their hits or you’re missing out.

25 Likes