Saint Seiya

That is going to be olympically radiant trash, I may have to dip in

1 Like

I don’t even know what the hell a Saint Seiya is but with all those people attached you’re damn sure I will be watching this

Famke Janssen alone will sell me a movie. Add in a Sean Bean and it’s irresistible

This plot synopsis sounds like it’s going be inspired by but ultimately fairly different from the original story (like usual).

Mackenyu is Seiya, the main dude.

Iseman is Sienna, who sounds like their version of Saori Kido, the Zordon of the main characters and the reincarnation of the Goddess Athena.

Bean’s Alman Kiddo is a re-interpretation of Mitsumasa Kido, Saori’s grandfather who runs a facility filled with dozens of orphaned boys who are trained to be soldiers and sometimes sent to mysterious islands to earn their own Saint Cloth/Armor (often times dying in the process). In the manga all the orphaned boys are revealed to be kids Kiddo has had with various women around the world.

The article doesn’t specify who Janssen is but there are so few female characters in Saint Seiya that she’s probably Eagle Marin, the mask-donning female Saint that trains Seiya to earn his Saint Cloth. For most of the story she’s implied to be Seiya’s long lost sister, but then at the end of the story the author suddenly changed his mind and made her just someone who happens to look like his Seiya’s sister and just happens to also have a long lost brother and just happens to have been explicitly stated by side characters that she’s Seiya’s sister, but is not actually Seiya’s sister.

Not sure who Tinoco is playing, but he could be based on Cygnus Hyoga, a Saint with a duck on his head hired to kill Saori/Athena at the beginning of the story but becomes one of the main good guys pretty quickly. Or he’s just some regular bad guy they need to be an antagonist for the movie.

Need to get Pierce Brosnan and Alan Cumming in there for the full GoldenEye reunion

1 Like

I know you are trying your hardest but you still will not dissuade me from seeing this movie with Famke Janssen and Sean Bean

It lives!

Oh yeah, and the Netflix CG Saint Seiya show was dropped by Netflix and Crunchyroll is going to distribute a new season.

Also Shonen Jump now has the entire manga up online.

Busy time for Saint Seiya.

1 Like

do the manga and anime differ?
i got all the way to the norse god arc and it was. . .painfully boring!
i really wanna finish it one day but jesus

like i didn’t appreciate how we watched everyone get stronger only for them to have their asses kicked next season

Everyone seems to hate the Asgard arc but I recall actually kind of digging it. Just look at her!

I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet, but I think the manga and anime are indeed supposed to have some differences. The anime ran into the classic problem of catching up to the manga and having to pad out time and add filler arcs, so I’d like to imagine the manga is a bit more briskly paced. But I believe there are story differences as well, with the anime softening some of the harder edges. The only ones I really remember are that all of the main characters are supposed to be half-brothers, with Kido being their father. And Hyoga was more overtly an antagonist at the beginning, aiming to assassinate Athena instead of just stealing the cloth. Not sure what else was different.

i always thought she looked cool too but that was not fun to watch after everything happened during the gold cloth arc lol

This comes out in US theaters next Friday. I can’t imagine showtimes lasting past the weekend. Be there or be square!

Extreme King of Fighters live action vibes.

2 Likes

Dragonball Evolution 2 wasn’t very good.

At the beginning I thought I’d be able to enjoy it as something campy because the action choreography was actually not bad, even if the action direction was only good 1/3 of the time. After the first 15 minute it tries to have story and pathos and none of that was good. It should have stayed a brisk, fast moving action adventure.

Most everyone had really flat acting. Sean Bean was the only one who could sell a story about using the power of your cosmos of the pegasus knight to protect the goddess athena. A couple of other actors, Mark Dacoscos and the guy playing Phoenix, were written like cartoon characters so their cartoonish acting would have been okay if the other characters’’ acting weren’t so bad.

It’s also styled more after the Netflix (now Crunchyroll) CG reimagining Saint seiya rather than the original story.

Also it had too much reliance on CG backdrops, when the budget would have been better spent on hiring extras to make the environments not so empty. And the backgrounds wouldn’t look so cheap either.

I think I read the director said it’s supposed to be a 5 or 6 movie series. I don’t think that’s going to happen.