Run And Jump And Slash

Perspectiveless white platformer nerds be like

853eb08e183e69e2f694469fd99bbca1

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a reasonable complaint. I think the healthy process is one that swings back and forth between the desire to improve things and create manifestos and dogmas, and the reaction against them to tear them down. Unfortunately, a lot of game design knowledge only exists in embedded cultural hints, passed down person-to-person like this. Without it being formally defined it’s too diffuse to purposefully challenge.

I have to challenge it within myself. As a designer I went through a learning process whereby I was a baby and every game was interesting, until I was a teen and I developed critical taste and learned to hold things in contempt, until I was a creator and didn’t think any element was worth doing without challenging it or being novel, until I was a professional and I learned what the ‘right’ answer to every problem was and knew where to apply my energy. Now the trick is to challenge my framework of professionalism and ask what problem I’m trying to solve and whether my inheritances are doing me any good.

(the traditional response is, “Phil’s a dumbass” but I’ll defend that quote six ways to Sunday, honestly he was getting it from all the Japanese devs who were saying much harsher things and the Japanese games scene was in utter shambles at that time)

I get that Phil was echoing a sentiment amongst a bunch of other Japanese gamedevs, but honestly, this shit is indefensible. Like, dude was struggling through his English, mentioned how proud he was of Japanese games they both admired, and was wondering if there was a throughline from then to now. That an entire panel laughed it must’ve been the most embarassing thing.

Like, just say what Jon Blow said minus the references to not liking modern Japanese games. Or, hell, reference how fucking sick as hell Demons Souls/Dark Souls were. Or talk about how Cave Story was sick as hell. Maybe talk about Mario Galaxy and how it was cool. Or just say, “you know, I’m not sure! I’ve been staring at the pixels of NES tetris for days and I’m off my meds!”. IDK, man, maybe this is coming off as “extra sensitive” right now, but fuck that noise. Don’t say racist shit.

Edit: I get that you’re defending the (generously edited) content of his message, and I’m sure you understand that I’m critiquing the method of delivery, and if we’re cool with that… I hope that this can be the last post in this thread about it

2 Likes

every day inside my head

2 Likes

I was there, and I’ll defend it because I know it comes from love and a friend’s deprecation.

1 Like

7 Likes

Cripes! I had never seen that clip before. I thought it was just something thoughtless he said online. I didn’t realize it was in response to a compliment from a Japanese game maker. Is this dude the Fez guy or the Super Mario in a business suit guy?

1 Like

Also hyped #notcastlevania is underway. Is this the first you’ve revealed of it?

I’ve been showing bits and pieces of this for a while. This is the first time I’ve made a platformer engine in a long time, and I’ve just started putting the tileset together with the platforming. Also I’m 95% sure I’m going 8x8 tiles bc of this look:

The 8x8 is waay more expressive. Holy shit. Wow

Edit:

6 Likes

7 Likes

Truly, you have gone mad with the power of the MMC5.

2 Likes

forestAxe

6 Likes

forestGymnastics

12 Likes

You are doing the lord’s work here and as one of his children I encourage and salute you.

2 Likes

Looks great!

Stealing an idea directly from another indie. I’m very sorry, but it’s just working too well.

5 Likes

grids

7 Likes

5 Likes

shadowcast2

8 Likes

I waited with bated breath for you to smash those pots. those are good pots. they look ready to be smashed

1 Like