RTX ON (raytracing thread)

I think it’s because those Quake 2 engine games were made to show off colored lighting and all that. So they’re already a bit garish. Turning up the dial feels like enhancing the mood, not destroying it.

1 Like

I don’t like this. Is that weird?
Even in the Quake II one which I think is one of the nicer ones, there are harsh transitions from bright outdoor light to low indoor light. I already don’t like that in the real world. Why would I want that in a virtual one?

2 Likes

When used from the start you can more accurately recreate e.g. dramatic film lighting that doesn’t look like reality but is more effective with a realistic simulation

1 Like

It’s funny how it reveals areas that were incorrectly bright because the ambient color was cranked way up. Turns out once you’re simulating light you need to put lights in the space

1 Like

neato torpedo

6 Likes

this is a very neat coming-full-circle moment, considering the backgrounds in the original marble madness were raytraced

10 Likes

The most impressive use of raytracing in videogames so far for me was minecraft but not the official minecraft rtx - there’s a mod for the Java version that’s way better.

The impressive thing was that I could be outside and just look around and know exactly what the sky looked like without looking up. The light conditions were perfect. They let you know if it’s a sunny or a slightly cloudy day. (the mod has improved/realistic clouds, not the blocky ones) It honestly blew my mind and I hope there will be more experiences like that in the future

2 Likes
8 Likes

yeah i’ve seen richard leadbetter wildly gesticulating about this shit for the last couple of years and i honestly can’t really tell the difference in practice

1 Like

we’ve had good approximations for a lot of what it does for a while (bounce lighting, reflections, shadows) but it’s great to see it all come together

You get beautiful bounce lighting in something incredibly static like Unreal or Uncharted but raytracing lets you do that in a dynamic world where objects can move! and lighting can change! rather than having little more than figures on a backdrop

Huge for pipeline/workflow stuff, too. We wait for the lighting team to bake changes overnight, it breaks every once in a while and the build is unusable, we’re always fighting over which objects are static and can receive ‘good lighting’ vs objects which are dynamic and get ‘bad lighting’, etc

5 Likes

i would have mostly agreed but now i think i might need to buy a two thousand dollar graphics card to play a emotionally resonant game about a father and son’s special journey with and through the magical world of LEGO®

7 Likes

oh, right, I can trace rays now

yeah, Quake 2 RTX looks neat

get a load of this fucking moron

6 Likes

The kid I bought my 2080 Ti from for $450 last October must have my face on a dartboard.

9 Likes