romm comm tuum

amazing

also they added DON’T GO BREAKING MY HEART and DON’T GO BREAKING MY HEART 2 to UK netflix, which i think is where you are? you should put those on the list, they’re both incredible examples of a modern romantic comedy

fucking, what

wow I mean in the most literal way possible. wow. that’s a real movie.

I never thought I would watch Larry Crowne but then FilmCritHulk wrote about how he watches it every year for Crownesgiving and then thecatamites had to also write about how weird it is and I guess I should watch it now.

Romancing in Thin Air is the best Johnnie To movie

Johnnie To Sparrow will umbrella-fight you, since it does not agree, at all!

that’s number 2 and throw down is 3

OK, then,
Johnnie To Can Live With That.

Triangle though~~~

What about the Heroic Trio

what about the one where andy lau wears a weird muscle suit

Yeah Running on Karma’s great

So is A Hero Never Dies

And Exiled

Lord, I need to see more of his romcoms.

Oh jeez I haven’t seen a new Johnnie To movie since Mad Detective. My priorities have fallen apart.

DRUG WAR

I haven’t seen any of his earlier (pre-milky way image) stuff

the to+wai ka-fai ones all seem kind of weird and this one was the only one I’ve really liked of those so far.

a bummer

Its good

Its one of my fav superhero movies

To bring this topic back on track:

I think i didn’t mention Windstruck, also starring… That actress from My Sassy Girl (kor-version), which should also fit your bill - well, it is rather charming than batshit insane, so be prepared for a normal… good(?) movie.

Just sayin’!

First Daughter (2004) - a weird thing about using a random number generator to pick which of these I watch is that i guess within the same two weeks you can end up with two different 2004 romantic comedies about a president’s daughter who just wants to be treated like everybody else who falls in love with a stranger who happens to be an undercover member of her security detail and she feels betrayed when she finds out but it turns out his feelings are for real.
I guess this one was actually delayed until 8 months after Chasing Liberty because that one bombed, but the thing is that the undercover-cop reveal… actually happens much later in this movie, and is treated like a real twist, which is kind of strange in context. In fairness I feel like this one does get slightly more into the consequences of having such a twist. There’s a media kerfuffle (Jay Leno making fake / real? Jay Leno jokes) and the cop has to go to a disciplinary hearing about it. IIRC he says something like “if falling in love with the teenage girl i was hired to protect makes me unqualified then by all means let me go” which is maybe not superlative as a defence. it does make it funnier that the college student played by a 32-year-old really is an undercover cop though.

One funny thing about the two movies - at the start of Chasing Liberty, there’s a shot of Mandy Moore in her room and then the camera pulls back through the window and reveals the room is on the left-hand side of the White House. In First Daughter it does almost the exact same shot for Katie Holmes, except her room is on the right-hand side of the White House instead! So it’s probably some kind of CIA disinformation campaign.

This is definitely the ritzier of the two, Michael Keaton is the president this time(!) and it was directed by Forest Whitaker(!?). There’s a voiceover which sort of frames it as a fairy-tale type thing and some really vibrant greenscreening:

at one point the characters escape by hiding in a campus screening of “The Girl Can’t Help It” and i thought maybe the colours were a shout-out to the fabled DeLuxe Colour process in that film. But it isn’t something I really noticed for the rest of the movie so I guess it’s just what they had to do for the White House scenes specifically.

I think being set in college rather than on euro-exodus made this a little less gruelling. There’s a good scene at a frat party where suddenly four bros in stars-and-stripe trunks come out and surround first daughter while doing a patriotic chant:

then the band starts playing rap-rock and they all start skanking in a circle around her. the party is broken up when her bodyguards tackle someone with a water pistol so it’s interesting they consider synchronised group skanking no threat.

It makes it a little weirder when the secret cop kisses first daughter BEFORE the audience is told he’s a secret cop, or are allowed to see him agonize about it, etc. Framing it as a twist means turning him into a much creepier character since he’s not necessarily shown as being especially reserved about the whole thing? At one point he also kisses her forehead while she’s passed out from revenge-drinking, and tells her that “if things were different… i’d still follow you around all the time.” he looks sort of like a buff morrowind npc version of michael cera, like that face just uv-mapped onto a polygon.

what else? the movie does that thing of zooming in real close to something, then zooming out to reveal that same thing in another context, but it does this like 7 different times, which i enjoyed.

at one point she takes her friends on air force one to a fancy political shindig, and it’s implied to be really cool and glamorous but everybody else at the party is like 65! kicking out the jams with some raytheon lobbyists.

At the end of the film it actually leaves the relationship with the cop up in the air and instead calls back to an earlier part of the film, where she talks about just cutting out from all the ceremony of life as first daughter and dreams of just travelling to college by herself in a little car with all her bags inside. So at the end she receives a key, and goes outside, and there actually is a little green Herbie the Love Bug loaded with all her stuff just sitting in the White House driveway, and she gets in and takes off happily while still wearing her ballgown and gloves to I guess drive the 3000 miles back to college in California???

One final note - throughout the movie it uses brightly recoloured skies above the White House to mirror what’s happening in the plot. So when everyone’s mad at each other the sky is a deep, Mortal Kombat red. But then at the end it’s purple! Which is both the traditional colour of royalty and what you get by mixing red and blue, so possibly signifies the desire for a peaceful bipartisan consensus, to emerge from the upcoming 2004 elections.

Yung Caius (Balmora Mix)