Rock Star Games

There’s also the (P-)Orridge bridge used to cross from Old to Central Silent Hill and the town cult’s drug distributed under the name of one of Genesis’ groups, P(sychic)TV

Would Moonwalker not count since MJ appears as his roles in the movie and not as a musician?

There’s also Space Michael

2 Likes

Gonna say Moonwalker, being a Michael Jackson vehicle, doesn’t count though I have faith that there are more MJ references to come. HOO HOO HOO HOO!

1 Like

Does it count that my Star Wars Galaxies’ character’s name was Mikhail Jekksen and the first thing I did was get a tailor to make me clothes just like the Bad video

5 Likes

Since the idea of Elvis has long since transcended music, I’m guessing there are loads of references to him in video games. Certainly Fat Elvis was an overplayed dad-jokey trope in cartoons and other (usually) mediocre media throughout the 80s and 90s. Cue ClayFighter and Earthworm Jim 3D.

2 Likes

I played Gravity Bone for the first time a couple days ago. I could see how, back in 2008, this was a very hip thing to experience. Still charming but a bit underwhelming these days. I did catch a Beatles/Badfinger reference though. One of the save points is titled ‘Bad Finger Boogie’ which was the working title for ‘A Little Help from My Friends’ (John Lennon played piano with an injured finger) and subsequently became the moniker for the English band formerly known as The Iveys who would go on to record the McCartney-penned ‘Come and Get It’.

2 Likes

one of the most unpleasant band names of all time, imo

1 Like

I think the most important parts of Gravity Bone are the work to try and get scene cuts working in a game context. Stripping back mechanics and visuals should be understood as a ploy to make this work – to help the player re-orient and re-task themselves.

I don’t think it’s fully successful. Virginia and Paratopic are the only games I’ve seen meaningfully pick this up; of all these I think Paratopic comes closest to working with its disorienting horror frame and recording metaphor. But it’s good exploratory work.

3 Likes

Earthbound’s Diamond Dog Bowie reference (shout out to MGS 5’s as well)

ZZ Top in Space Quest (removed in later versions once the band caught wind)

Iron Maiden’s Eddie in Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4

Eddie

Edgar Van Helgan from The Curse of Monkey Island

Vanhelgenplaying

5 Likes

Where’s Psycho Circus fall in this?

1 Like

Also if actual cameos count:

3 Likes

oh boy, that KISS game right? worth a mention I guess! cameos are cool. reminded me of this

2 Likes

the brutal, c+c music factory-loving streets of Franko, The Crazy Revenge

6 Likes