Reading Fist of the North Star at breakneck speed to find instances of its dumb Greco-Byzantine-BladeRunner architecture

Anyway,

I’ll post all these somewhere eventually

13 Likes

6 Likes

i’m no fancy big city architect, but i wrote about hokuto no ken palaces on tumble a while ago

note that i’m mainly experienced with the tv anime rather than the manga, so when i wrote that, i had less intricate images in mind than those you’ve posted

1 Like

No, that’s cool. I’d be culling stuff from the show too if it were as easy as flipping through manga scans at 999 page turns a minute.

It’s unclear to me if the eclectic forts and palaces we see are post-apocalyptic in their construction or if they precede it. It is possible that the Bad Guys appropriated corporate buildings and had laborers and slaves graft “classical” pieces onto the existing frames. But all of the normal street architecture that’s shown is similarly anachronistic/futuristic, so that seems unlikely. You’re never told where any of the story takes place on the globe; it’s just a gigantic wasteland that could exist on an alternate earth.

1 Like

@diplo did you hear about this?

Yes. Haven’t purchased the issue yet.

~

yeah i mean to some degree i’m pretty sure the whole thing is wish fulfillment for fedora-tipping m’lady types but ehh

it is Problematic but that sort of ridiculous dumb machismo isn’t especially surprising in a manga/show about post-apocalyptic muscledudes punching each other? something something zach snyder???

It isn’t surprising at all, I’m just noticing the extent of its dumbness this time around

2 Likes
3 Likes

Love the gibs and scrolling in this.

1 Like

thread owns

I always read this sort of thing as empathy–here’s someone who could have been a Great Man, but he was brought low by some tragic character flaw.

Going with the worst example: there’s a theoretical Hitler that abrogated the peace treaty and then used his charisma to embark on a New Deal-style rehabilitation of the broken German state. I don’t believe mourning that lost opportunity in any way invalidates our mourning for the victims. We’re not trying to rehabilitate Hitler’s name, we’re trying to teach our children that a leader needs empathy to reign in our more destructive instincts.

I believe Vegeta’s character arc is Dragon Ball Z makes this case.

1 Like

6 Likes

2 Likes

HnK is both super iconic and super problematic

It hits a lot of the right aesthetic notes but it’s hard to argue that it’s not completely messed up thematically. That’s actually be part of the appeal in a way, how it’s a bunch of completely fucked up musclemen stoically punching each other. It wouldn’t be any fun if they were, like, sane or anything.

the series’ treatment of women is terrible in just about every way

They wouldn’t have, though. That’s the thing. People like Yuda and Raoh are terrible, chauvinist shitheads even if you remove their genocidal tendencies and actions.

Vegeta does stop blowing up planets with his buddy but he’s the worst possible parent and is probably the worst love-maker in the world. The tragedy is his partnering with Bulma.

Vegeta seems to have gotten a lot better as of recent Super fwiw