Random Jottings

剡縣陳務妻少與二子寡居,好飲茶茗。宅中先有古塜。毎日作茗飲,先輙祀之。二子患之,曰:古塜何知?徒以勞祀。欲掘去之。母苦禁而止。及夜,母夢一人曰:吾止此塜二百餘年,謬蒙恵澤。卿二子恒欲見毁,賴相保護。又饗吾佳茗,雖泉壤朽骨,豈忘翳桑之報。遂覺。明日晨興,乃於庭内獲錢十萬,似久埋者而貫皆新。提還告其兒。兒並有慙色。從是禱酹愈至。

Chen Wu of Shan County’s wife was widowed early, and lived alone with their two children. She enjoyed drinking tea. There was an ancient tomb on their estate, so whenever she would make tea she would give an offering. This irritated her two children, who said, “What do you know of ancient tombs? You’re wasting effort making offerings for nothing.” They wanted to plunder the tomb instead, but their mother forbade them to speak any more of it. That night, someone came to her in a dream and said, “I have been in this tomb for over two hundred years, and have undeservedly benefitted from your grace. Your two sons wish to bring ruin upon me, and I depend on you for protection, and moreover you present me with fine tea. Though my bones molder in the grave, could I forget this kindness?” After this she woke up. At dawn the following day, she found twenty thousand in cash laying in the courtyard. It looked as though it had been buried for some time, and yet the strings binding the coins together were all new. She carried it out to present to her children, who both bore expressions of pure shame. Thereupon they began to make even more lavish offerings.

2 Likes