Random Games You Played Today (itch 1000+ game bundle thread)

That is the first time I have heard that happening! What’s your setup?

4 Likes

I tried KIDS. It’s more art than game, for better or worse. If you’ve seen random GIFs from it, you know basically what to expect.

6 Likes

Really bummed this isn’t an adaptation of the Larry Clark film.

3 Likes

Shutter Stroll is pretty cool. Visit a randomly generated island, take a photo, repeat. It has a built in link to go tweet your pictures with the appropriate hashtag for the game, so there’s a bunch of people’s photos to go take a look at.

Seems a bit buggy though, the game has already crashed twice for me.

Super Gummo RPG

1 Like

Taking a quick second here to thank everyone who dropped some quick thoughts either in here or on the spreadsheet, and to VC for setting up and updating the spreadsheet as necessary!

stop

Stop is another one of those short gamejam games that I am gravitating towards (the bundle dropping in the middle of me playing a big crpg is why), plus I’m probably gonna try every puzzle-type game in this thing at some point so it was a natural choice. It is a single screen puzzle platformer where pressing the space bar causes time to freeze. Because of this it doesn’t screenshot particularly well, but in that above screen a fired a laser beam, stopped time, stepped on the button that causes the block to fall, stopped time again, then stepped on the button that drops the laser wall blocking the exit circle, stopped time one last time to jump across the temporary bridge formed by the falling block and fired laser, starting time right under the exit circle so the laser wall forms behind me as everything else crashes into the wall or floor.

It is a solid concept for a puzzle platformer. All gamejam platformers seem to have the same issues with the controls where there is enough of a lag on jump that you want to jump first and steer after, but it is easy enough to adjust to and the platforming isn’t that demanding. The game is maybe 15 or so minutes long, enough to establish the concept and touch on what it can do but not enough to build anything all that puzzling/challenging out of it.

I give it the same score I’ve given every game so far: “Is it worth trying? It was for me, I have no idea about you, maybe?”

1 Like

I bought this when it originally came out, it’s good. Some of the later levels stumped me for a while!

1 Like

These has been a lot of talk about Beglitched in our house. The writing is extremely cute.

I added notes on the games I’ve played (or pdfs I’ve read) so far.

I’m trying to be brutal and opinionated, if the game is fine but I probably won’t play it, or if it’s fine but sure! others should play it, I bump that 3 down or up.

One Night Stand is a game I was interested in for a while. You wake up next to someone you can’t remember and have to piece things together, and the story plays out differently based on your choices etc. I’ll be darned if I’m not stumped how to get things to turn out differently after a few endings, though.

3 Likes

Added batches 5 and 6 and the new Steam info from the original spreadsheet. Sorry to anyone who was looking at this while I continually re-sorted and fucked with the sheet.

I think it’ll be interesting to see how folks’ ratings are different. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer here, plus I’m more interested in reading the notes, but it’ll be nice to have a sortable list of opinions.

I tend to be on the negative side myself. I wouldn’t call it brutally honest necessarily, I just…maybe I don’t like very many video games? Found myself questioning the entire hobby when I tried 4 games in a row I thought would be cool and they all sorta sucked shit. But then I hit The White Door and was pleased with it so, y’know. Not all bad.

Also just added a column that will automatically put the date in when the notes are edited, thanks Google Scripts. I set the date to yesterday for all the notes that existed already

1 Like

I’ve seen recommendations work well with a 4 point scale: 1 - play now/ASAP; 2 - check it out; 3 - maybe play it, better stuff available; 4 - never play this

though I tend to rate stuff higher if it’s shorter

I love this game!!!

Getting a good ending makes no sense from a game perspective but it’s perfect

The logic is fairly similar to the Witcher 3´s dialogue choices that help extend Geralt’s backstory.
At one point you can choose in a dialogue which character you sided with during the events of Witcher 2 ; this means that in the Witcher 3 game Geralt’s past is not set in stone until you pick it in a dialogue, effectively choosing Geralt’s past.
Yes… Schrodinger’s Geralt

Anyway in One Night Stand, if you check the girl’s wallet to get some info on her, you can then lie to her AND get away with the lie, but that means that you have shaped your character to be more of a creep, who has acted more like a weirdo loser before, who’s made a generally worse impression on the girl, and thus the story cannot really end well. You are not the cool chill dude who’s allowed to get a good ending with this girl
At least that’s the way I interpret it

4 Likes

Best ending I got was getting her to play you a song on her guitar which I thought was cute.

I played about a half-hour/hour of Lingotopia (page 7) by Tristan Dahl. In this game, you play as someone lost in a city where nobody speaks your language. The entire game is about learning the language to the extent where you can get back home. You can select Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, or Spanish to immerse yourself in. There are also dozens of languages added by the community.

Before I knew about this game, I came up with a similar concept, wanting ChuLip blended with Lingua Latina. This is my most prized creative idea and something that feels impossible to realize. I’m not saying “hey they stole my idea!” For what it’s worth, I neither know how to make games nor am I fluent in a foreign language. I’m surprised that I would stumble on something that looks so much like it. I enjoyed trying it out because I can now see an example of what works and what doesn’t.

First, the good. The world is a bustling city where dozens of people chatter to themselves. It’s a unique hook and enticing to decipher. Each word bubble is like a lure with bait. There’s also a day and night cycle that seems to govern the lives of the people moving around. The game has several aids to scaffold your learning. For example, pictograms hint at definitions without giving them away. You can also find bite-sized grammar explanations scattered around the world.

But, what is the biggest selling point is also the weakest component. The game wants to be a language learning tool but does not follow pedagogical principles. As far as I can tell, there’s no chunking of information and there are few moments of repetition. I tested the game in languages that I had an intermediate knowledge of, and was able to get around. Yet, I noticed a few definitions of words that didn’t match my prior understanding. Then, I tried the game in a language I had no prior understanding of. I guessed my way through prompts when I got confused and struggled to keep vocabulary in my memory. It’s not designed well to defend against guessing. I didn’t know how to build up to going through the prompts straight.

I do not trust Lingotopia enough to put more time into it, but it is built on a premise that should not be abandoned. I hope that Tristan Dahl returns to the idea with a larger team.

8 Likes

Terri-Fried

A game where you click on the egg, and then you drag away from it to set the angle and force it goes flying with as you climb up the constantly descending randomly generated series of platforms to grab the circles things.

…I’ve got nothing good to say about this one sadly. This was a 72 hour gamejam deal and it shows, if you click on an egg if it is on the top half of the screen you basically won’t be able to move the mouse away from it enough to generate any force and you basically die immediately. I guess all 1600+ can’t be winners.

Anyways if anyone else decides they want to try it for whatever reason my high score was 8.

The Novelist is a game clearly written by someone who’s never read a novel in their life and I loved it for that.

6 Likes