Random Game of the Week

Spaß Taxi

The store page said that Spaß is german for fun and I had to go look up whether or not they were pulling my leg or not (they were not), I didn’t even know ß was a real letter. The game itself is a tribute to a Commodore 64 game named Space Taxi of which I also never heard of, my ignorance is truly terrifying. Anyways C64 Space Taxi looked like this:

Spaß Taxi meanwhile looks like this:

Both games seem to be about picking up passengers from one spot and taking them to another, although in this modern version you also have the ability to rotate your taxi around to avoid obstacles or otherwise please/nauseate your passengers. There is also one much more significant difference: based on videos the original Space Taxi is a “lander” type game, where you have to control your thrusters in various directions in order to fairly gently land the taxi various places and bumping into the environment will cause you to explode; for some reason I keep trying these games despite always hitting a point after an hour or so where I simply can no longer manage their strict requirements and walk away in a huff.

Spaß Taxi while still possessing some of the ship momentum aspects from those types of games has much more typical controls and a fairly generous damage meter that you have to run out before bumping into something causes your death. It is much more interested in punishing you via a lower high score (repairs and buying new vehicles depletes the money that you are making via fares) rather than by halting progress and I for one appreciate this generosity.

The generosity got taken advantage of as some of the later stages add in missiles that track you, searchlights that when tripped cause a laser beam to fire at you, strong “winds” or similar propulsive forces among other goodies. The difficulty is a bit all over the place as some of these elements are much harsher than others (some of the missile stages are rough). Fortunately every stage has healing and gas stations you can land at to repair or refuel (if you take too long gas can become an issue, but likely not until well past the midway point of the game).

If I am honest even with the game limiting the more punishing elements it only did so much for me. I did appreciate it coming up with enough stuff to keep things from getting too rote over its 40 stages (love the repair passenger who fixes up your taxi in lieu of paying a fare, hate the rowdy passenger who constantly damages the vehicle while inside it) and that someone went and made a love letter to a very old game they loved that isn’t particularly well known/by Nintendo. It just never really excited me in any way but hey, that’s the risk of the rando. It may not have been for me, but I’m sure it is right for someone.

4 Likes

Arachnowopunk

Arachnowopunk is a self-described “single button infinite runner metroidvania about a friendly spider” which is actually a fairly accurate summary of what it is. It is definitely an odd combination of things with the bigger question being as to how well they even work together, with the answer being fairly well due to the good amount of thought put into its construction.

The game starts with your little spider fella falling down into a pit and having to work their way through a mansion (maybe, you’re so small that scale is hard to piece together) in order to get back outdoors. You aren’t in possession of many abilities at all, you can’t even choose which direction to walk in as it is always straight ahead. You can press that single button to pause in place for a bit, and if there is another block within three tiles of you you can leap up onto it. That’s about it to start and it makes up the vast majority of your actions for the entirety of the two or so hour long game.

That seems like too limited a base to build much of a game around, much less a metrovania, but it has one clever idea that makes that kind of navigation not only possible but clever in its own right. As you can jump between different surfaces as long as they are within three tiles above you, in jumping it changes your relative direction moving along that surface. Basically think of it as switching between clockwise and anticlockwise (which is how the game lists it on screen). If you jump back and forth between two flat surfaces running in parallel with each other you will always be moving in the same direction. If however there are two separate blocks above a floor and you jump between all three of them (i.e. an odd number of jumps) when you return to the surface you started this from you will be moving in the opposite direction.

The game is built around having to find bits in the environment to adjust the direction of your movement in addition to figuring out different ways to adjust it yourself (another example: if a big block-like structure has an indent in it that allows you to jump within it that will also flip your rotation). You’ll come up to exits to different areas you can’t reach or sections inaccessible due to spikes blocking the path you’d naturally take to get there, sending you looking for areas nearby that can spin you around while also still giving you a path back to said point of initial interest. It sounds simple, but as there are usually moving obstacles or enemy-type things you have to time to avoid it is enough to keep the player focused.

It further earns its metrovania stripes when the upgrades come into play. They are simple things such as jumping from a weak surface causing it to break, or landing from a jump next to a spike causing it to be destroyed that are generally used to open up new paths, but they are also used to make previously traversed areas much easier to speed through either by taking out obstacles, opening up shortcuts or creating new opportunities to flip your rotation. The only issue is that this central intended path has some really poor sign posting at times, with me wondering early on if I had screwed up somehow until I eventually figured out the intended path wanted me to backtrack in a very specific way.

Arachnowopunk isn’t a revolutionary game, but rather than just toss two fairly distinct game types together and call it a day it shows a good amount of thought behind how exactly the combination would have to work. I wish the controls were a touch bit tighter (there is a bit of lag that seems almost intentional but still occasionally bothersome) and that the intended path at points was more considered, but overall what I worried was just gonna be a random experiment ended up mostly being a success rather than just a gimmick.

MiTOS

Played this as well this week and it is worth a mention (sadly almost none of my screenshots saved). A brief puzzle game where you play as microbes feasting on a decaying rat your goal is to destroy the enemy… bacteria(?) in each stage, a task made difficult by the fact that microbes have very short lifetimes, four moves at most. You can move and attack but often they are too spread apart for this direct approach to be feasible. Fortunately you have a couple other abilities available to you.

The most powerful ability you possess is the ability to split yourself into two different microbes each with half the life of the original (it rounds down, so one with 3 moves becomes two with 1 move). Fortunately while you can only move in one of the four cardinal directions normally when you split you can move a new microbe to any adjacent squares including diagonals. This can save you a couple of moves and the puzzles quickly become about figuring out the most efficient movements possible as you will rarely have any moves to spare.

The other main ability is push, which is more limited but still useful. You can push a block to crush distant bacteria, push a fellow microbe to save them a move, even push a deceased microbe into a bacteria as a form of attack. These three and a half action actions (move/attack, split, push) are the sum total of what you can do, but the dozen puzzles show that it is enough to build a solid variety of well considered puzzles around. It’s over within a half hour if one doesn’t get stuck for long (a definite possibility towards the end) but while many puzzlers of this length feel like they are just scratching the surface of a concept MiTOS ends with you feeling that you got a good feel for everything that was in play.

4 Likes

Super Grappling Gecko

Probably in for a couple weeks of short write-ups due to life being on the busy side, fortunately we have a fairly straightforward game this week. Super Grappling Gecko is a 2d platformer built around your ability to shoot out a grappling hook towards a rock surface in order to swing from it, so really it comes down to execution more than anything else.

It is a fairly short game one can likely complete in a half hour on their first playthrough but longer if one tried to get all the collectibles (I managed 10 of 15 on said first runthrough), and it has some speed running options for those who want to try and master their way swinging through obstacles. The level design is fine if a bit on the safe side, there was no bit that made me go “this is rather clever” and in its back half once it introduces moving threats it cuts down dramatically on the swinging, but if one wants to swing over spike pits it put a lot of its energy towards that.

The biggest issue for me is that it is keyboard and mouse only, which is rough for a platformer and sort of left me with no great control options. Moving the mouse around and clicking is how one fires the grappling hook, leaving A and D for moving left and right and either space or W handling jumping. Due to everything in play neither jumping options felt particularly comfortable (particularly the wall jump), and a platformer where one doesn’t care for the jumping is likely doing something wrong. The swinging is a bit touchy as I found it tricky to grasp the momentum one would have when jumping out of a swing (release point is very precise in terms of the difference it can make), but that could be more of an “involved mechanic that is hard to fully grasp in under a half hour of game” deal than there being anything wrong with it.

And that’s about it really, not all games have a lot to write about sadly. It’s a shame as it is a game I wanted to like but while I wouldn’t say it is bad it isn’t something I found particularly enjoyable. Most of that comes down to the control scheme which I could see being a much smaller issue for someone else but ended up being a bit of a deal breaker for me.

2 Likes

VOID

2022-06-19 18_31_16-Greenshot

I like to think that I am pretty simple to please when it comes to short 2d platformers. It could be a 4/10 game but if I get to run and jump for a bit without anything too egregious going wrong I’m likely to enjoy myself. I also don’t really like tearing apart these smaller random indie games as it is unlikely people need to be warned off of games they’ll likely never come across on their own, plus I assume they are generally made by one or two people simply trying their best.

This week both of these “rules” get broken, not to be a jerk but to see exactly how a decent idea can go very wrong. Also I didn’t have time this week to get to a another perhaps better game (well that’s a half-lie, you’ll see in a bit).

2022-06-19 18_32_46-Greenshot

If you remember The Unfinished Swan (or at least the initial trailer for it), a game where the game world is invisible until you shoot paintballs everywhere to reveal where things are, this is a lot like that. Rather than a first person wandering game this is a 2d platformer where you simply must reach the goal to advance to the next stage. I’ve seen a couple 2d platformers play around with this concept, although it is the first I’ve tried.

2022-06-19 18_34_07-Greenshot

Things start off tolerably. The graphics are very basic and the controls are a good bit rough, but things are generally functional. There are some issues, the shots you paint the environment with don’t splash which often makes it hard to tell exactly where things are and having a painted trail follow the player’s movements is curious but one can at least grasp what is going on and what the game is going for. The decision to not erase any of this when the player dies and respawns at the start seems fine but due to the painted movement trail after a few deaths it can really begin to obscure things, but completing the first world wasn’t too bad and I was curious to see what the other two worlds (each containing ten stages) would hold.

2022-06-19 18_36_07-Greenshot

I mostly can’t answer that question as I could only manage to make it a few stages into world two before the questions as to why I was doing this to myself became to overwhelming. Worth noting I played through about 400 bundle games and aside from technical issues maybe gave up on a dozen or so, heck I even hacked a couple save games to get past otherwise gamebreaking bugs; I am loathe to quit a short experience if I can help it. How did it all go so wrong?

In world 2 the game introduces stages that are bigger than a single screen… but while the stage scrolls when you move the paint does not. Since your shots are basically two balls that are fired in a horizontal V pattern you can in theory shoot one that reveals a pit about three tiles in front of you. If you then move a couple tiles forward the pit is now only a single tile away but the paint still shows it being three tiles away as it basically becomes an unmoving background element everything scrolls against. It is among the most baffling game design decisions I have ever come across. The game realizes it is a bit of an issue as paint no longer stays around after death, but the actual stage design becomes dramatically more involved while tied to a mechanic that somehow makes it more difficult to parse an already invisible stage.

The game then on top of this added bits where if you jump too high you end up on a higher platform that forces you to scroll back a bit in order to try again (again the paint never moves) and rather elaborate sets of tiny platforms over pits and I simply gave up. I absolutely can’t recommend it but at the very least I get the takeaway of seeing a new way for a game mechanic to go completely awry.

Robo Runner

So I lied in that I had time to try a second game and the randomizer gave me another 2d platformer, this one thankfully visible. It’s a game with much more moderate design issues (game is controlled completely via keyboard yet the only way to retry a stage after dying requires a mouse click) that is finished with its ten stages in about four to five minutes. There isn’t a lot to say about it in general but there is one thing here that is relevant to so many other indie 2d platformers so let me just finally say: wall jumps are clearly harder to implement than regular jumps so it is okay to just not have any if you can’t get them working well.

Wall jumps are cool when they work, I get it. If you take full advantage of them the level design possibilities can become much more involved, a bunch of my favorite games have them in some form. The things is… if they are barely functional I’m not gonna enjoy the part of the game that involves them, and I don’t think that’s a minority opinion? I’ve seen a bunch of one person teams get them working well and that’s great, but maybe take a step back and ask if you’d enjoy doing this if you came across it in someone else’s game. Please.

Anyways that’s it for this week, sorry things were rather grumpy this go around! Hopefully next week will go better.

4 Likes

So I had a somewhat flawed idea that there is no harm in putting out there, so I’m gonna put up a link to the unplayed PC games list on my backloggery page and open this up to suggestions.

https://www.backloggery.com/games.php?user=jdelible&status=1&console=PCDL

It is flawed in that seeing a list of 470+ mostly unknown games names sans any context is an odd thing to take recommendations for, and people are likely to go “I heard of/know that game, play it!” which kinda defeats the purpose of the topic. Warning away from that would seemingly limit things to people just going “Dystopicon is a neat name, what’s that game like?”, which again flawed.

Still no harm in putting it out there as an option! I doubt it proves to be good or that anyone decides to go for it, but what the hell no skin off my back.

(If you pick like STALKER I reserve the right to ignore you.)

1 Like

i know you like puzzle games, and also you liked Pig Eat Ball… if you sorta combined the tone of a sokobon game with that you’d get Salad Fields. so i def recommend trying out Salad Fields if you haven’t. i’ve played a lot of it (and it’s pretty long) and i felt like it was one of the more imaginative and interesting puzzle games i’ve ever played, though the puzzles eventually got too hard for me. to this day i’m still surprised it doesn’t get more hype from the crowd who likes Draknek/Increpare sorta of puzzlers.

1 Like

Salad Fields is one of those games where I no longer recall how it ended up on my Steam wishlist in the first place. I know I saw it when it was on the new release list but am 90% sure I didn’t wishlist it until a bit after that, yet when I go back and check the places I’d expect to recommend that game there is zero mention of it there. I saw you mentioned it on SB before but I’m fairly sure I had it listed a good bit before that. It’s Heads Run all over again (still zero clue on that, wasn’t even ever a random game name game).

Anyways I can only handle one puzzle game of a given type at a time or else my brain becomes too scrambled and I’m still plugging away at Give Up the Ghost (37/50 complete~), but I’ll pencil in Salad Fields as the big puzzle game I get to after that.

2 Likes

Catty & Batty: The Spirit Guide

Catty & Batty is made by a seemingly relatively well know Half-Life mod fellow known for how difficult their mods are, so naturally this puzzle game is a deviously difficult… oh my bad, it’s a hand-drawn fairly chill puzzle game vaguely inspired by Lemmings. Huh.

Now looking at a screenshot it doesn’t look much like Lemmings at all, what with the top down view as opposed to the horizontal one (also being black and white with a vastly different art style). The overall goal is rather similar, with the spirits emerging from the starting gate and having to make their way to the exit one. You lack direct control of them 90% of the time and instead must guide them by placing cardboard boxes around the stage. You can choose when they start to move so you can set things up as much as you wish to beforehand, or just try and do it live as often the layouts require you to make adjustments once everything is in motion.

Perhaps the biggest difference from Lemmings/this type of game in general is that it is impossible to lose any of the spirits, at worse they will get sucked into a whirlpool and reappear back at the starting gate. This isn’t a game that wants to punish mistakes harshly, but enjoys mistakes as it forces the player to then have to try and fix things on the fly as various spirits go wandering all around the stage. While it works as a single player experience it is primarily designed as a two player co-op one with each player controlling either Catty or Batty (in game you can switch between them with the press of a button, most of the time it doesn’t matter which you use). The game loves chaos and having two players have to co-operate in real time as things start to go wrong is sure to generate it, but again the lack of any real kind of fail state or consequences keeps it low stakes.

The chaos extends beyond just mistakes as the spirits move in unpredictable ways. From the start gate they will head off in any of the four available directions, and every time they hit a wall and have to choose between going left or right they will make the choice seemingly at random. At times I chose to build elaborate boxed paths to basically force order upon them as much as possible, but often times it is only so possible and one ends up with several spirits all over the place and basically deciding “okay let me concentrate on this one and hope that it doesn’t screw things up too much for the others”. Fortunately you can remove any box you place or otherwise it could get unsolvable.

It is also worth pointing out that over the course of the thirty stages there are a bunch of one or two use gimmicks that change how you have to approach things. Switches you have to hit to open the exit gate, foxes that try to eat the boxes you put down, vines the spirits must rotate around to open up other parts of the stage. They do a good job of keeping you on your toes, although even with them I’m not sure more than a couple stages took me longer than five minutes to complete. There is a second new game-plus campaign with zero story (not much is lost) that re-uses all of them if one wants more.

I found it to be a pleasant if minor experience. After my first bit with the game where I ran through the first fifteen stages I basically took it on five to seven stages at a time (roughly 20-30 minute sessions) which is about as long as it’d hold my attention, although I could see it being more intriguing with a local co-op playing partner. That said I am fine with games that are best played like that, and while my tastes generally tend towards the more demanding puzzlers it is good to have a more chill one every so often.

4 Likes

Clash Force

Clash Force is self-admittedly more or less a NES-style run and gunning platformer for an 80s cartoon that never existed. Pick from one of three characters…

…to face off against the evil Crackman…

…yes, Crackman, hell of a name.

And you go running and jumping and shooting through twenty or so stages.

…and I’m about out of stuff to say about it. You know how when people review these types of games someone always says “if this came out back then it would be a fondly remembered classic”? If this one did it would basically be “oh yeah, I think I saw it in a magazine” or “I rented it from the video store once, it was okay I think.” It is technically fine but just so very by the numbers. There’s really no mechanic to make it stand out (if you take a hit you lose the weapon power-up if you had one, that’s about it) and even with twenty stages there’s so few bits of it that I remember even a few days later. There was a stage where you basically have to jump from one missile to the next while avoiding incoming stuff that was the single most inspired thing in the game, sadly it was also the roughest bit in execution.

A couple of the bosses looked neat.

I feel bad as this reads rather negative and it isn’t like it’s outright bad and thanks to infinite lives it doesn’t ask for more than 45 minutes from you. Having multiple playable characters (who all play the same) and different difficulty modes shows that it wasn’t just mailed in, I believe the person who made this was trying to make something good. It just lacks a spark of inspiration, leaving it feeling very generic. I’ve played worse but not many more where it is harder to find much to say about it.

To make up for this admittedly being a somewhat iffy stretch of random games (catty & batty was fine) I do have one intentionally picked game I will get to for this topic in the near future, probably not this week though. I will allow it as it is the rare Random Game Name game I learned of solely from said topic that I have heard nothing about aside from said Steam page and forum (ellaguro will somehow still know of it), and thanks to the wonders of a too large wishlist and a recent steam sale I now have a copy of it. I have high hopes for it, not necessarily that it’ll be great but that it will at least be interesting and in terms of this topic that’s much more important.

6 Likes

This one does really look like early DOS games from the day with better colors…

1 Like

Rorschach

Rorschach coming up now is actually rather neat as it is a 2d platformer where you need to basically splatter stuff around an otherwise invisible stage in order to see where everything is… just like the game VOID I played for this very topic a few weeks back. I was rather negative towards that game because… well it was bad albeit in an interesting way, but perhaps a different dev taking a shot at a similar gimmick will do better with it?

Now there are a few key mechanical differences in both games’s approach to this gimmick they have in common. In VOID the player character shot the paintballs themselves, and had a seemingly infinite amount of them. In Rorschach you only have a limited number of paint splatters to use in a given stage (the number varies significantly), and rather than have the character fling them they are used by clicking the mouse on areas of the unseen stage in order to make it visible.

image_1658036727

Both approaches seem valid, but thankfully in this latter case it also has the benefit of solid execution. In VOID there were a few baffling design decisions that undercut everything else, pitfalls that Rorschach mostly avoids. All the stages are single screen ones which eliminates scrolling-related issues from the equation, although not tying the splatters to the background may have made that more manageable regardless. The splatters disappear if you die, which is needed to prevent cheesing the limited uses/prevent the player from using them poorly and locking themselves into a series of blind leaps. Also it is in general just put together much better.

Putting these comparisons aside, this is a fairly well executed minimalistic platformer from a dev who feels like they were particularly inspired by VVVVVV in at least presentation if not mechanics. If fully visible the stage design would likely be a tad too easy to navigate but there is a good amount of complexity to it given its single screen nature and the amount of splatters available per stage for the most part feels well tuned enough to give you enough information if smartly deployed without making everything clearly visible. It requires some intuiting in terms of how the stage is likely to unfold and a poor guess or unnecessary extra click to verify something will often force you to stretch them a bit thin towards the end.

The game does a good job of throwing some additional things out there every so often as it progresses, none of which are particularly mindblowing but in the context of this larger mechanic do cause you to adjust your approach. Enemies once they appear are nothing more than little square fellows who slowly wander in a straight line, but introducing a dynamic (in terms of movement) element that can harm you into a game where so much of the stage is obscured adds tension while altering the calculus as to how you decide to spend your splatters. The game also adds in portals (terrifying when you don’t know where the other one will drop you) and gravity flipping for the full VVVVVV tribute.

There are a few implementation headaches along the way. There are some blocks that slowly fall when you step on them like the donut blocks in Super Mario World, except the edge detection is so tight that even if you walk nonstop across a bridge of them at some random point you will almost certainly fall to your death as it’ll be read as too low and you’ll clip through the following one (if it was at least more consistent it’d be better). Having to redo your splatters after a death makes sense but in some of the more complex stages where you are likely to expose your path before embarking a few deaths in a row results in it starting to feel like a hassle. It seems like it may have some controller support but I couldn’t get it to work, and the physics were close enough to right that the bit of it still off is rather noticeable, there were a few jumps that should have been rather simple but became a chore due to it being hard to get a feel for the mid-air momentum.

All that said I’d still consider the game a success. I think more can be done with the concept but Rorschach at least gets the basics of it right while putting it through its paces. It takes less than an hour to get through its 75 or so stages so it is paced fairly briskly and I am prone to enjoying brief bouts of running and jumping, even if in this case one has to pause to reveal things. I had a good enough time with it, and it’s good to be able to say that after a few rough weeks.

3 Likes

Well that one just looks wild!

1 Like

Where the Snow Settles

This week we get away from the minimalistic platformers or otherwise mechanically focused games for a bit as Where the Snow Settles isn’t concerned with any of that. Its focus is completely on its narrative, while it isn’t from a first person perspective it is very much in the walking sim genre of experiences. It also happens to be made by a team from Tasmania, so I was curious to see if that gave the game a different perspective than we usually see.

We play as a young lady whose village is suffering due to a particularly harsh winter that is both colder than they usually see in addition to seemingly never-ending. Her sister is one of a group that is supposedly going out to explore, stuff happens and you quickly end up joining your sister on a quest to figure out exactly what is going on here. It is a fairly standard opening, and in truth the story stays pretty standard throughout. There are a few narrative twists along the way but nothing that I would describe as unexpected.

A fairly straightforward story can still thrive if it is told with a confident or unique voice, but sadly that isn’t present here either. None of the dialogue is wrong per se, but it is mainly just serviceable instead of engaging. I clearly recall what the overall story was but couldn’t tell you a single individual line of dialogue. It is all just very by the book, and if the splash screen didn’t reveal the team being from Tasmania there would be no reason to expect the game wasn’t made by any random small team based in far more commonly seen lands.

Mechanically you are pretty much only asked to move forward. There are a few places where you can wander to the side into a small “off the beaten path” area that may give you a small bit of incidental dialogue but otherwise your responsibility is to just keep following the path in front of you. This occasionally involves having to cross a river over a fallen log or sliding down a steep snow covered hill but there is no real friction to any of it (I believe the slide is a canned animation you have no actual control over). Aside from moving slower when having to make one’s way through a heavy snow drift that’s pretty much the case for the entire 90 or so minute long game.

This makes everything sound a bit underwhelming, but the game does have one saving grace. Much of the States is currently in the midst of a rather harsh heat wave, here in particular it has been stuck in the mid-90s for much of the week. It’s not exactly pleasant out, to put it mildly. Being able to step into a snowy mountainous world where everyone is complaining about the cold and worrying about freezing to death? While it likely wasn’t intended it is a nice bit of escapism given how hot things are at the moment. Wading through low-poly snow, having to bundle up to keep warm as opposed to stripping down to avoid heat stroke, it’s a nice world to step into for a bit given the current weather. I am unsure if I’d recommend the game if it was more temperate out, and even now there are likely other wintery games that are a bit better that’d provide the same benefits, but I appreciate the gift of being able to step out of the heat and into winter for a brief bit of time. At the very least it is a game for this particular moment.

3 Likes

In the spirit of randomness I wildly scrolled and stuck my finger on the screen, hitting:
Dumpy & Bumpy
Induction
Macbat 64
SPOOKWARE
When There Is No More Snow

4 Likes

Reminiscence in the Night

This is a brief renpy visual novel where you play as someone who wakes up with no memory of who they are whatsoever. You can click on stuff around your apartment to see if it jogs any memories (which it generally does not) with things only really progressing once you click on your PC and start talking to someone on it. Also maybe you step inside a mirror to talk to a ghost from your past.

The amnesia aspect isn’t being used just as a trope as the focus of the narrative seems to be on the role memory plays in our lives, are we adrift without them or do we too often retreat into them, etc. It’s a neat idea for a VN like this but I think its brevity works against it. A run through takes maybe a bit more than 15 minutes the first time through and much less on subsequent playthroughs if you go for other endings, and while there is some variance in these repeat plays it isn’t much. Because of this it feels like it only gets superficially into the concepts it touches on. That’s not the worst thing in the world, but it puts a bit of a lowered ceiling on things. I think if someone sometimes thinks about things like this it may be worth taking the quick trip through this to examine someone else’s thoughts on the concept.

I didn’t have a lot to say about that, but fortunately @gary picked some random games of their own so I randomly picked one from their list, which ended up being…

Macbat 64

I feel bad that I am a mediocre writer as I know that describing something as a “love letter” to something is a rather lazy trope/crutch and yet I am presented with Macbat 64 and don’t know what else to say, it is a love letter to the N64 in particular its 3d platformers. It is so obvious it probably says it on its store page, in fact let me go check.

Yep!

Anyways it is pretty good at being just that! I think it works because rather than try to just emulate that era it is instead trying to distill it. Any attempt to replicate a Rare platformer would mandate excessiveness either in scope or sheer number of baubles to find. Macbat would rather shrink every area down so that no single stage takes longer than five minutes or have more than a handful of random things to track down. Part of it comes down to the limitations of a small team, but they could have chosen to build a single “authentically” scoped area. Instead they went with a dozen or so cozy ones that allowed them to highlight a few bits they enjoyed from that era before moving on to the next one.

It keeps the pacing feeling very brisk. Even if a given area feels a bit middling you are on to the next one within minutes, there is literally no fat on the bone here. What also keeps it breezy is the difficulty, or lack there of. I am unsure if it is possible to die in this game as only a few stages have things that can harm the player and even in the ones where things can I only got hit a single time. If this was a more… fully featured platformer it would have likely been a larger issue, but given the nature of the experience it ended up being fairly forgivable.

There are a few extra stages that I guess didn’t really match the overall theme as well, plus if you find four things hidden across the game you gain the ability to fly forever (rather than a traditional jump you can basically leap and then flap your wings to go further/higher for about 7 or so flaps; this removes that limit) which lets you break outside of the stage boundaries and find a few easter eggs that are far from essential but are at times neat.

I enjoyed Macbat 64 a good deal. It isn’t without flaws (after each stage it kicks you back to the main menu and you have to flip through increasingly more pages in the main menu book to get to the next one you unlocked) but it pretty much delivered the nostalgia hit it wanted to without getting bogged down in replicating all of it. Or to put it another way, it avoids drowning in nostalgia by taking a short dip instead.

5 Likes

I said a few weeks back that I was gonna pick one of these for myself, and that time has come.

Deios II // DEIDIA

I stumbled upon this game, or rather the remake of the original Deios, once during my Random Game Names browsings and was struck by its aesthetic and how utterly odd its design seemed to be. Unfortunately that first game seemed to have a focus on combat, combat that seemed rather… let’s say odd enough to be worrisome, which lead me to conclude said game likely wasn’t for me. However when I clicked on the developer link I saw that it had a sequel, one that seemed to lean into the interesting parts of the original while eschewing the combat that scared me away, so I decided that was worth a wishlisting and keeping an eye on. This last Steam sale I finally pulled the trigger on it and decided that I had played enough random weekly games that I earned the right to pick a random(ly discovered) one of my own, and what a journey this was.

DEIDIA is described as a “glitch-venture” where you basically have to explore an abandoned world and have the ability to corrupt said world at any time to try and theoretically aid in said exploration. In terms of a game pitch this reminded me a good deal of F J O R D S, an exploratory platformer where you could use in-game consoles to adjust various elements of its design (is water present, are ghosts visible, can you basically lay a corruption bomb with the press of a button, etc.). I was enough of a fan of that game to try and mostly fail to LP my way through it elsewhere on this forum so having another game like that to dig into was very intriguing, but beyond the similar concepts each game took things in a vastly different direction. Despite the numerous options F J O R D S was very intentionally designed, a coherent “metrovania-esque” world layout where puzzling out which options to enable and disable at a given moment allowed you to break through barriers and dig very deep into its world. In comparison DEIDIA is chaos, it is designed but the world is incoherent and feels like it can collapse at any given moment (and sometimes does). One is predictable, one is utterly not.

Things start off with you in an almost blank space and an introductory text that isn’t found, the latter of which does set the mood for what you can expect. The game tells you WASD to move, lets you walk a bit until you hit a door that requires 20 coins to open of which you only have 15. At this point it tells you to press i to begin farming deitycoin.

Oh yeah, this is a glitch-venture exploratory platformer/clicker mash-up, should have mentioned that. You can use 10 coins to purchase something that mines a coin every second, which you can then use to open said door. This all runs in the background while you do other things and while you do find treasure chests you can open to gain a certain amount of coins (some drop a handful, some literally explode sending hundreds of coins all over the screen that you have to scramble to pick up before they disappear within a few seconds) mining them will get you much more, so every so often it is wise to press i, buy better coin farming stuff and keep ahead of the curve. Or not, most of the game lacks doors and many of them require rather small amounts of coins to open. Or a billion, there is that one door that requires a billion coins to open. I have no clue what is behind that one, I’m not sure even on a run where I invested a lot in farming I ever got more than maybe 3 million tops. Play it by ear I guess.

Oh yeah again, you may have noticed the text at the top and bottom of the screen, that’s always there. It reminds you among other things of where you are, how many coins you got and that you can always mine more money or corrupt the current server (i.e. room/area) you are in. It also warns you to save before you do that. One may question the necessity of having that much text on the screen at all times, much less a warning like that but let me tell you… never try to corrupt the world without saving first. Most games that let you hack/corrupt stuff makes it seem cool and useful, DEIDIA treats it like you are much more likely to break things so dramatically that it will be impossible to recover from.

The first time I played the game I pressed g to see exactly how I could corrupt things and within a few button presses things were so bad that I was either trapped inside geometry or was falling endlessly and the only way to fix things was to restart the entire game. I managed this inside of the area literally labeled tutorial, that is how quickly my first playthrough ended. A couple of the options (such recolor world or shake world) are minor enough to not be immediately problematic, but a few others (such as distort world (which naturally is the first option) or world drift) are so profoundly destructive that I don’t know if there is any possible sane use for them. Naturally the only way to know which type is which is to try them for yourself, always save first. Always.

Anyways I’m not sure the game ever needs you to do any of that anyways.

As you may be starting to realize, the game doesn’t seem to care if what it offers is actually useful or if you should use it or not. It’s not that it trusts you to figure it out, more that it warns you that you will almost certainly screw things up and to prepare accordingly. The game itself will screw up too, so don’t take it personally.

BTW if you try to load a save game after you close the program it will crash trying to reload it, said save games are only designed to be used during the same session to basically serve as a check point in case you need to reload from one, such as after accidentally destroying the world. It never tells you this; that’s how my second playthrough ended.

I should discuss something beyond the tutorial room.

Right, the aesthetics. This is a very fetching game, featuring a noisy pixel look very heavy on parallax. It looks pretty okay in screenshots but really needs to be seen in motion to appreciate, so let me just grab the video from its store page:

Music is solid as well. Anyways, your goal in any room/area is to find a door to the next one. This isn’t a continuous world map, you find a door and you get dropped into a new area. Sometimes that is literally true as you’ll end up in a void falling forever, the game is prepared for such an occurrence as if you go too long without touching the ground it will reset your position to approximately the proper starting location for that region (a bit of the ever present text lets you know how long before a reset is triggered). This is useful as corrupting things can result in neverending falls and if you explore around the periphery of these areas (as you should) you will occasionally fall off the edge of the world to your doom.

Some of these areas have bits of puzzles to them, generally simple stuff like rotating a bar around until it lets you reach someplace useful or maneuvering a ball onto a scale so that a door slowly opens or platform raises. The ball physics are sadly awful which results in some of these being next to impossible, fortunately many of them are either optional or easy enough to bypass via other means such as clever abuse of the wall jump. You might be getting the impression that this isn’t entirely polished and that would be an accurate sentiment. This feels like someone with a gift for art and music trying to make a digital piece that is also a game, so certain things are done in less than typical ways, best practices are unknown and some technical bits are implemented roughly. It won’t shock you to know that it doesn’t have the best wall jump in the world. My third playthrough ended when the game crashed fairly deep in, and as noted saves don’t carry over.

The thing is, while it would be too much to say that this is like a piece of outsider art (the dev is too familiar with several aspects of gaming for that to be a fair descriptor) it is very much playing by its own rules, and while the trade-off for that is a few degrees of polish you are rewarded with an experience that is hard to predict. I don’t mean this in the showy “hah, you thought you were playing a card game and now you are playing a FPS” way but just that games like this have a certain pacing and logic to them that is markedly askew here. Noted earlier are the seemingly central mechanics that can rather easily be ignored for most of the game but even progress through the world feels very haphazard. Some areas are literally a cave where you walk to the side for the equivalent of a single screen and hit a door, sometimes moving forward takes you through what appears to be areas you’ve already come across in reverse, sometimes the game will actually just drop you back in the second or third area in the game and you legit have to go through everything again and not take that same exact path/door again.

This isn’t a huge problem as while there is a somewhat straightforward central path through at least a portion of the game it is both easy to speed through once you are familiar with it and with some pushing there are branches off of it that often don’t lead back to it. You do have the option of following said path though and it will lead you to… a room with a dozen or so unmarked doors that lead all over the place, often to places you’ve already been. Maybe one of them leads towards an ending, I only made it to said room a couple times.

DEIDIA is game where you can feel like you are making progress while also feeling no closer to figuring things out at the same time. Eventually when I was back near the start once again I had an idea, grew bold enough to risk some corruption and got to a new door, which took me along a new path which I had to corrupt even more boldly to get through (I think, might have just been missing a safer option) which eventually ended up dropping me at some later point in the game where I had noticed something on a previous visit, managed to take advantage of that without crashing the game and got to an ending. Said ending provided some answers (turns out the game does have a story, it just doesn’t mention it until the very end) yet left many questions. What was behind the billion coin door, why did windows of ascii art I could draw on pop up, was one of those dozen doors a special one, what if the ball physics weren’t trash and it was feasible to get them onto certain scales? What if I pressed F12 like the dev said you could on the game’s forum and played with all the debug options? In my two and a half hours with the game (“winning” run took maybe forty minutes) did I see most of the game world? Did I see half?

Ultimately I don’t know if DEIDIA is a good game. It is definitely aesthetically pleasing and it is definitely mechanically rough. It is hard to say much definitive about it beyond that, it is a mysterious experience and it does not let go of its mysteries easily. I think in many ways it is a SB kind of game, although figuring out how many would find it interesting as opposed to enjoyable even here is tricky. I had a good time with it when it wasn’t telling me that saves didn’t work or was crashing on me, and while part of me wants to dig deeper I think I’m content leaving some (much?) of it undiscovered, it feels appropriate.

4 Likes

RITE

RITE is a precision platformer that is interesting in the sense of how it was scoped. Compared to many other games in this genre it is working with a minimal amount of elements. Other than different building block tiles for each section the same sprites are used throughout the game with only their coloring altered, and there are only four different obstacle types (and no enemies) throughout the entire game.

By sticking with only the minimum amount of elements though the dev was able to polish them all up to the best of their ability. They only drew so many spites, but they are drawn well and everything has bits of idle animation to it that makes everything feel much more dynamic and alive. There are only a few different types of obstacles, but they are all well considered and used in as wide variety of challenges as is likely reasonable for a non-savant (128 regular levels and 32 bonus ones).

gameplay2

The end result is a game that feels as polished as virtually any other game in this sub-genre. The graphics are a bit samey the more time you spend with them, but it definitely looks nice. I’ve often complained about indie devs struggling with implementing wall jumps, here they work perfectly. In fact the controls are all around very precise, arguably too much so (we’ll get to that in a bit). The devs understand how to create stages for this kind of game and all the tiny little movement variants their controls/physics make possible, and use them to great effect.

Ultimately this leads to a very good game that has a couple things holding it back from competing with the truly top tier of precision platformers. The controls are so precise that you will often have to hold the jump button down for just the right fraction of a second to clear a given jump and while it is technically fair being able to do so on command and consistently is a tall ask for anyone who isn’t a truly elite player. To give an example of how tight windows can get in this game allow me to steal someone else’s gif.

That is an extreme case, but you get the point. I’d actually consider slowing everything down just a tad bit (falling speed, movement in general) in exchange for a slightly larger timing window on most things.

The other mark against the game is that the person behind the actual level design is a big believer in symmetry or repeating the same exact set-up multiple times in a given stage.

In the above screenshot you see a stage where you start at the left by the door, have to make your way to the right to touch the bigger gold thing to open said door, then make your way back. Depending on how you break down this particular obstacle course you have to repeat the same basic action three or four times each way, which basically means the entire stage is performing the same act six to eight times in a row to advance. If a stage like this pops up every once in a while it is fine, but they lean on this or similar set-ups way too frequently. It begins to feel a bit lazy and at worst a bit boring when it is a tough set-up and you end up basically repeating the same specific action over and over until you can do it X number of times in a row.

So it isn’t a perfect precision platformer, but overall it is still a pretty good one. While the stage design at times can get a bit lazy there are also a number of very clever layouts and challenges, and while the precision required can at times be a bit much (I love these types of games and I noped out on the bonus challenges; the final ten or so normal levels were basically at the limits of my tolerance) for the most part it is very responsive and pleasant to go run and jumping about. In fact it starts off easy enough that even someone who isn’t great at these types of games could get something out of it, it’s just a game where you need to know when the right time to walk away from the game for yourself is.

5 Likes

Solitune

Pretty short one this week as the game itself is only maybe 15 minutes long. Solitune is sort of an isometric walking sim (can a point & click game be isometric?) where you click on a few things in each room that act as… well puzzle feels generous but in theory you have to figure something rather obvious out. Doing so lets you talk to someone, the door opens to the next room and after ten or so of them you are done.

The main thing the game has going for it is the aesthetics, which are fairly low budget but still interesting enough. It is textbook magical realism, although to give it credit I do like how it does shift from very man-made to having nature gradually encroach more and more on things.

The narrative thrust is about a young woman who feels like her life is stuck in a rut and likes to imagine becoming a shepherd. Along the way she talks to a bunch of people who either espouse or symbolize various modern concerns or criticisms and… that’s about it. Again it’s only about 15 minutes long, there’s only so much to it. As an experience I think it is quick enough and low stakes enough to be worth the time if one is into it as an aesthetic piece, but that’s about it. Sorry I don’t really know what else to say about this one, have another screenshot I guess.

4 Likes

In which I get to my recommendations.

Salad Fields

If I had to try and sum up Salad Fields I’d say it is half a block pushing sokoban game and half an adventure through a surreal dreamscape, sprinkled liberally with sexually forward queer furries among other out there characters. It is certainly an unusual mix but it all sort of fits together surprisingly well.

I am naturally gonna approach a game like this from a puzzle-first perspective and I am not certain this is how the designers intended as it includes a mode that disables every puzzle and more or less just lets you walk through them (maybe they were just concerned with accessibility). The puzzles definitely often have a bit of a looser feeling to them, while certain ones have definite strict solutions many give you either excess moves or pieces (which suggest I likely stumbled upon alternate solution) and a few are capable of just being broken outright. I recall one in specific where the layout of the puzzle suggested it would be rather annoying to figure out so I instead used what was available to me to basically build a path around it; I am completely certain it was not intended but it definitely ended up working.

I think this looseness occasionally gets the game in trouble (it can be hard to work backwards from the end towards a solution if there are multiple paths) but generally works in its favor. Creativity is rewarded and it often leans into the player’s ability to break things to hide secret coins and rooms to find. Many puzzles allow you to basically break the barriers along the edge of the screen if one chose to use the options available to them to do so, and these almost always lead to extra rooms that are usually useless but on occasion do have a collectible coin (that are also mostly useless, but still!). I personally just find it neat to go try and break things and see how/if the game planned for it, so this worked for me.

The game is broken into four larger sections, each of which has a magic boyfriend that bestows certain powers on you that are used in the puzzles moving forward. My favorite is probably the first one which allows you to detonate explosive pumplins (not pumpkins, totes different). They function as bombs that destroy whatever is in the eight tiles surrounding it except that the warp-like explosion stays out there after a single use, with a second use reforming said pumplin and allowing you to move through the now cleared tiles and move the pumplin again and perhaps explode it once more if you have another use left (in each puzzle you break a crystal that lets you use a power a certain number of times). Bombs aren’t new in puzzle games but it is very rare to have ones where the explosion sticks around blocking a path or where said bomb can reform and potentially be used multiple times. Add in quirks such as how all the pumplins might not be synced up (while some are in an exploded state others are not) and how exploding a pit tile results in it being replaced with a ground one and you get something that is rather clever and unique.

The other powers are mostly neat, such as one that lets you swap the eight tiles surrounding a tv set with the eight surrounding another (spoiler: these can get a bit chaotic) but I must note that the second one you get does result in some fiddly puzzles. Basically there are a number of skulls that move in whichever direction they are facing whenever you use said power, that change direction based on specific rules when they bump into something (generally they will move in a clockwise fashion). They can be pushed by you like normal blocks unless you walk through a purple cloud first which prevents you from pushing anything afterwards (purple clouds are prevalent in their puzzles) which means a number of puzzles are basically you having to figure out how to initially position each available skull and then pressing the power button one or two dozen times to see if that set them on the correct path to the right spot. Some of these are pretty good but a few are just a pain with you having to reset over and over to get the set-up just right, sadly the game has no undo move button so any wrong move requires resetting the entire room; this happens a lot.

That said the puzzles are only part of the package, the rest being a sort of narrative adventure game with quite the… let’s say eclectic cast of characters. Many of them are furry, queer and fairly sexually forward (pretty much the devs own words BTW) so while there is nothing explicit (one of the boyfriends has breasts with just some bits of tape over the nipples) in terms of dialogue some of it can be a bit NSFW. It’s not my particular kink or orientation but I still found these characters fairly charming, and it would be inaccurate to say that every character fits into that mold. You have an old PC that is terrified of the future as it believes the world will end soon as it is programmed for no years beyond 1999 (yes, we are in modern times), a fancy ampersand who feels trapped in the job familial expectations have hoisted upon him, and the bondage duck who likes to be tied up and blocks the way to the vegetables you are trying to gather until every switch in the puzzle is hit which unties him and ruins his fun. Okay that last one is probably more of the former now that I think about it.

The larger point is that the game will often take breaks from the puzzling and have you talk to random characters in random places, and for the most part they all have definite personalities and listening to their dialogue is usually a pleasure as opposed to something keeping you from the next set of puzzles. These are often short little vignettes where you just walk left to right across a dreamy backdrop before coming across a new character but sometimes it’ll be an extended detour where you have to set up an art gallery or wander through a maze finding bees. Once I transformed into a bunch of rats and had a meet cute with a female bunch of rats (said bunch had a bow). Having seen the story through to the end I don’t think the destination was much of anything, but in terms of a journey I liked seeing whatever it threw at me next.

Graphically it is mostly 2d sprites except that 3d polygonal objects or characters pop up from time to time which further hammers home how surreal things feel. All the polygonal models are fairly basic but the clash between them and their otherwise pixel surroundings I feel adds something to both of them.

So yeah, it is definitely an odd mix of a game but I think it generally works out. Some things don’t hit but they are generally minor and you are often onto something else soon enough anyways. I know @ellaguro recommended this and got a good deal into it themselves (I know they mentioned that the puzzles eventually became too much for them, I am curious at what point that was), I will second that there is definitely something to this game that makes it stand out. I do think its two disparate halves are likely to scare away some who’d otherwise be interested in what one of the halves on their own would offer, and there are a number of puzzle fans who want very tightly crafted puzzles with no looseness to them, so I can grasp why it didn’t really break through, but there is a lot of creativity and imagination put into this that I think makes it a success on its own terms. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

7 Likes

Beasts of Maravilla Island

I have never played Pokemon Snap, but I have a suspicion that the people who made this game have. That game seemingly is more of a on-rails (click and) shooter while this is a third person wandering arounder, but given the focus on snapping pictures of cute-ish creatures I’d say they likely have some shared DNA.

You arrive on a mysterious island your grandfather often told you about, one full of seemingly magical creatures that no one really believed actually existed. As he is passed on you feel compelled to see this land for yourself, so you grab his journal and embark on this brief adventure. 90% of said adventure is walking around the island taking pictures of various plants, bugs and animals. There are technically some puzzles built around baiting certain behaviors out of some of the more deluxe creatures, but between checking what is written about them in the journal and the protagonists own spoken words you are basically just doing what you are told. Even late when the game tries to ratchet things up a bit for the conclusion it can’t shake the feel that this is a fairly low stakes/stress event.

That is perfectly fine though as the island itself is teaming with color and activity. Technically you only have to take pictures of a few important creatures but at all times you are surrounded by bright flowers and various creatures going about their business and it is hard to resist stopping to take a closer look at all of them while squeezing in a few snapshots. Fortunately the game lets you know if what you are currently focused on is something you have already taken a picture of previously or is something new, so if you are only looking for previously unseen things to fill out your photo album (the game saves up to 20 pictures of each individual plant/bug/animal with you selecting your favorite to be in said album) it is easy enough to do a quick scan of the environment to check for any. The game has a very pleasant low-texture bright color aesthetic to it that I found quite pleasant to take in, while there wasn’t a ton mechanically to it I had a decent time in the first couple areas.

…Then the bugs reared their ugly head for the third and final area. I can’t say a ton about it as I saved at the start of it and when I reloaded I was over halfway through it, which played a bit of hell with the various triggers for dialogue and picture-related things. This took me almost all the way to a final boss battle which was a bit too ambitious for what this team was seemingly capable of producing (and has a few bits visualized or hinted at downright poorly), so the game sadly ends on a down note.

Still if one wants a chill, one step above a walking sim experience about wandering and occasionally climbing through a colorful forest/jungle while taking pictures of things that catch your eye it isn’t a bad way to spend a couple hours.

6 Likes