railfan and the real world bleeding in -- simulation games as a medium for the preservation of experiences

i was reading wind, sand and stars by antoine de saint-exupery earlier today. it’s a memoir regarding his work as a pilot for an airmail company in the 1920s/30s. i stopped after only 20 pages or so because the visual imagery was too strong and beautiful for me to take very much of in one sitting.

Thus, when Mermoz first crossed the South Atlantic in a hydroplane, as day was dying he ran foul of the Black Hole region, off Africa. Straight ahead of him were the tails of tornadoes rising minute by minute gradually higher, rising as a wall is built; and then the night came down upon these preliminaries and swallowed them up; and when, an hour later, he slipped under the clouds, he came out into a fantastic kingdom.

Great black waterspouts had reared themselves seemingly in the immobility of temple pillars. Swollen at their tops, they were supporting the squat and lowering arch of the tempest, but through the rifts in the arch there fell slabs of light and the full moon sent her radiant beams between the pillars down upon the frozen tiles of the sea. Through these uninhabited ruins Mermoz made his way, gliding slantwise from one channel of light to the next, circling round those giant pillars in which there must have rumbled the upsurge of the sea, flying for four hours through these corridors of moonlight toward the exit from the temple. And this spectacle was so overwhelming that only after he had got through the Black Hole did Mermoz awaken to the fact that he had not been afraid.

another passage, regarding losing their bearings and going way off course, burning through their fuel and desperately trying to figure out where to land:

But the airports one by one had been waking each other up. Into our dialogue broke the voices of Agadir, Casablanca, Dakar. The radio stations at each of these towns had warned the airports and the ports had flashed the news to our comrades. Bit by bit they were gathering round us as round a sick-bed. Vain warmth, but human warmth after all. Helpless concern, but affectionate at any rate.

And suddenly into this conclave burst Toulouse, the headquarters of the Line three thousand miles away, worried along with the rest. Toulouse broke in without a word of greeting, simply to say sharply: “Your reserve tanks bigger than standard. You have two hours fuel left. Proceed to Cisneros.”

it reminded me vividly of sky odyssey, one of my favorite video games (i recently passed along my english copy on here). immediately after reading that second passage i quoted, i put the book down and ordered a copy of sky odyssey of my japanese ps2.

sky odyssey is so wonderful to me because it takes place in a small group of islands with isolated human settlements and remnants of ancient and abandoned human settlements. the terrain is very dramatic and riddled with canyons, caves, waterfalls, mountains, and all sorts of interesting things. there’s even a level that reminds me slightly of the first passage i quoted.

obviously the game takes a lot of liberties with both geography and physics, but just reading a bit of st-exupery’s book made it clear that in some ways it’s not extremely far from the reality of what many people experienced. and what they experienced is so temporal, borne of not only their own lives but also the state the world was in during their life. no one will ever again have the experience of flying mail from france to south america, operating with only your visuals and manual instrumentation, carrying the thoughts and feelings and ideas of hundreds of people in your cargo and passing through a world above the clouds that very few humans had experienced at that point in time. even if you retraced the route in a similar aircraft, everything from the regulations to the scenery would be so, so different in 2016 than it was in 1930.

and, just as an example, the first quoted passage is something i would love to have experienced. and i can’t. but maybe i can get a taste of it.

fortunately, memories can be preserved and shared. obviously writing is one of the biggest ways – it’s how i learned about mermoz’s experience and how i’m sharing my thoughts on it with you. it can also be passed along visually – although it wouldn’t have been possible with the technology of the time, the experience can be preserved in a photograph. and there is nothing stopping anyone at any point from drawing, painting, etc. a picture or pictures of the experience, whether it’s the person who experienced it themselves or someone hearing about it.

but then i realized hey, video games are another medium that can be used to share experiences. i realize after thinking about it for a while that this has been one of their selling points from the start – case in point, the colossal number of world war ii games that exist.

but, yknow, i’m not gonna play through call of duty 2 and claim any strong understanding or connection to what world war ii was like. it’s a trying-to-be-accurate historical fiction, not a memoir. it’s supposed to be fun and entertaining, not real.

and then it clicked – simulator games! wow. i totally understand them now. euro truck simulator, microsoft flight simulator, etc. etc. etc.

within the limitations of the design and the technical limitations of the hardware, these are games that try to craft an experience that is as true to reality as possible. undoubtedly they fall short of realism but they’re much closer than other games covering similar topics (i.e. euro truck simulator vs 18 wheeler: american pro trucker). i was really intrigued, so i went looking for flight simulators. something that would, say, let me fly through a realistic world and land my plane at tiny little airports in the himalayas.

i’m still searching, but i’m currently attempting to download a simulator called flightgear that seems somewhat promising.

part of why i made this post was to excitedly say that i’m really interested to see what the realm of vehicle simulators will look like in ten years. my dream game is simply a huge open world that’s a copy of earth with realistic physics that just lets you drive. satellite imaging and mapping seems like it’s making this more and more possible as time goes on. like, microsoft flight simulator x does a decent job with terrain and stuff like that, but its representation of cities is really lacking unless you specifically download mods or dlc targeted for various areas. when will there be a game that incorporates the 3d building models that google maps has started to create?

the other reason i made this post was the share a train simulation series i found, creatively called train simulator until it hit the ps3 when it changed names to railfan.

i think it’s notable because it blends a real experience with a game. like most other train simulators you drive from station to station on a real train line – what’s notable about this is that the visual aspect of it consists of a real video of a train going down that same track. there is even an external camera you can switch to – amusingly looking half of the time like police chase footage. the games go beyond just japan, too: there’s a chicago line and a taiwanese line.

i just think it’s really cool. yeah, there are plenty of youtube channels where you can watch videos of those same routes and many others. but games take you a level deeper, giving you the ability to be like “man, station _____ is always difficult to slow down for properly because of the grade” or whatever.

i’m not even interested in playing train simulators, i just thought it was all really cool. i am hopeful for the future of this niche genre and very interested to see how realistic it will get.

13 Likes

i love this post

sky odyssey is a great game!

i really suck at it!

i’m too sleepy to write anything substantial right now

I went on a flight sim kick a number of years back until my computer exploded and I had to replace my CPU/mobo with crappier parts that made running FSX with All The Doodads a bit prohibitive. the most fun I had was messing around with the WWII planes from A2A. they’re super in-depth sims with their own flight models bolted onto FSX, full sounds for everything all the way through switch and dial noises recorded for the actual planes, persistent wear and tear, the whole thing. trying to manually navigate a B-17 around Europe was as unique an experience as I’ve had in video games.

I remember seeing some news story during that time about some old B-17 pilot being taken up in one of the very few restored versions of the plane still around. he was talking about some of the things they had to do with the plane on combat missions while the film crew was showing what the modern pilot was doing in the cockpit before take off and I was like: holy shit, in at least some respect I know all of those things. it instilled a weird sense of connection in me.

also I crashed a P-47 into the walls of the grand canyon

Probably the weirdest simulator I’ve ever seen was an air traffic control simulator that my friend played in college. It had a vocal interpretation system so you could mic yourself and talk to everyone just like real ATCs do.

There’s some kind of focused, relaxing quality to all these sims - they require absolute attention and therefore foster absolute immersion. For my own sake I do enough actual work in my day to day life, I’d rather play something evocative (like Sky Odyssey) than ultratechnical.

Except guns of course. Because guns are relatively simple machines (compared to B-17s) and they’re so satisfying to mess with. When is a full version of Receiver coming out???

as an update, i got flightgear working. i couldn’t get my plane to start so i just had the program do it for me. i took off and spiraled and crashed into the runway immediately. i just did a second flight and i got some air time but then i ate it trying to go under a bridge. neat!

this is 100% what i’m going on about and this is really cool to hear.

also this :+1:

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to be in the middle of the Japanese train sim arcade phenomenon. GCCX’s unwavering nostalgia has ruined my world view.

My mom works in transportation, and helps semi drivers get from one stop to the next, and it can be pretty technical. The drivers have to be on the move for ten hours at a time in some cases, so it’s important to be helpful and understanding of their experience. I gifted her a copy of Euro Truck Sim 2 and for a short while she was super into it. She recognized that it was pretty silly at times, but also appreciated all the complexity that goes into the rules and mechanisms.