Racoon City

Pointlessly bombbastic Masafumi Takada edm track.

1 Like

I would totally hang in the Spencer Mansion if not for da Monsters.

2 Likes

itā€™s a good mansion brandt

Hey so im definitely playing 1-3 for this spooky month (and into November, arguably a spookier month (because why would the ghouls, ghosts and goblins all hallows leave when they just got here?))

They are all very easy to emulate.
However i would have to buy REmake, 4, and CVX, and i am poor + stingy so im thinking iā€™ll just pick one and get to the others later (i want to play them all because i am a late to the party convert to this cool series).

Which would yā€™all advise i go for first?

Itā€™s going to be 4 isnā€™t it. youā€™re all going to go ā€œyou havenā€™t played Resi 4?? wtf is wrong with youā€ and i will not be able to answer that

Nothing to lose from doing them in order.

Probably right, i just wanted to check if thereā€™s any one thatā€™s MUST-PLAY, NOW.
Thereā€™s always the possibility that Iā€™ll lose interest, or die,

W e l c o m e To T h e S u r v i v a l H o r r o r

4, is just, so goddamn, good.

4 is a very different beast from the first 3. Itā€™s the perfect 3rd person action game, it has a TON of charm, and itā€™s pure fun. But if you want survival horrorā€¦ Itā€™s not survival horror.

I gotta take the moment to boost RE7. Itā€™s seriously one of the best Resident Evil games, and it does return to the seriesā€™ survival horror roots in a big bad way.

1 Like

RE7 is good up to 2/3rds of it, then it drops the ball to boringville. Probably my least favorite mainline entry after RE5.

I thought 5 was alright and felt like a good stopping point; 6 just seemed like a mess and I barely touched it. No RE fans I know have made it sound worthwhile, even for ā€œknowing what happenedā€.

Eh, itā€™s divisive for sure, but I dunno, people play it as if itā€™s a western style third person cover shooter, while really itā€™s a character action game masquerading as a shooter.

one day i will write a long post as to why the game is so misunderstood and why itā€™s actually really good, although not without its problems.

2 Likes

wow the opening of RE2 sure doesnā€™t fuck around huh. i think the first time i died in the original was when i first encountered the Yawn, but i got tore up by zombos only a few screens after the gun shop here. The streets are really dense with them so itā€™s harder to run around, and the few times i had to kill one i would almost empty a whole clip into them.

1 Like

I think RE7 gets boring late as well but I also think itā€™s fantastic. Iā€™m still kind of blown away that Capcom had it in them

If you have Playstation Plus, Re6 is 10.00 on PS4 this week.

1 Like

Only 10 bucks? After The Evil Within 2 I probably wonā€™t feel like it for a while, but I should play it.

@sleepysmiles Iā€™d love to hear more of your thoughts as you proceed through the RDP and on, RE2 is such an impressive sequel.

I mean yeah itā€™s RE4. CVā€™s place in history is people wanted another RE and this time it is all polygonal on your Dreamcast!! Released at the same time as RE3 and 3 is a much more interesting game. I think CV blows! Anything going for it is better by replaying one of the others with a different character or mode just to see what changed.

Like these games arenā€™t meant for one playthrough. They are meant to be loved and explored and replayed. CV takes that complaint by gamerz annd goes yes you can see everything in one playthrough!

Whatā€™s CVs bonus mode? Battle Mode? Maybe that is actually cool in 2017.

Also and maybe this will help you not play it ~trans-gender issues~

CV was actually outsourced so that probably explains some of its quirks. I think it is actually closest in spirit to RE1 out of all the other sequels, because it retains the more aristocratic horror of RE1ā€™s mansion, both.in level design and themes, probably also because in universe the two locations were built by the same architect

But yeah if you are sensitive to trans issues, should be wary.

Ooh. Im sensitive to trans issues, in that poor handling of them makes me angry (where it might make others sad and/or depressed). Probably a good call to avoid if the game is also not hot shit ā€“ and ive heard mixed things as it is. Danke

I think Iā€™ll go for 4

4 is a good choice and an amazing game. Iā€™ve been replaying it more than anything else, probably once a year since 2005?
I also love REmake, but since you just played the original Iā€™d let some time pass before REmake.