Quick Questions XIV: A Question Reasked (Part 1)

yeah it’s weird because that is right on the cusp of digital taking over so basically anything after that would maybe have to be a purposeful aesthetic choice unlike previous stuff shot on film like disruptor or night trap or whatever

The only thing I could think of is a game emulating a specific cinema genre like grindhouse or maybe an FMV game going for a gimmick. Still drawing a blank though.

After being run through a video codec to get it playing on a PS2 I honestly couldn’t tell you the difference between film and video. Need for Speed still made use of plenty of live action segments. A bunch of japanese adventure games I never played made use of filmed segments too, but they all have that soap opera look to them, so they were probably on video.

What the hell is Minecraft FTB Sky Odyssey that makes looking up footage of the PS2 game impossible.

Also I was confusing Sky Odyssey and that anime flying Ps2 game this whole time.

2 Likes

Skygunner? I think I used to have that one too. It’s also good.

2 Likes

speaking of Flower, Sun and Rain, can anyone recommend Paradise Killer? looks like a spiritual successor to me

1 Like

Lots of conversation about it going on in the Games Played Today thread.

2 Likes

I recommend it. Definitely feels like Silver Case/FSR were an influence. That and Phoenix Wright + Danganronpa. A lot more transparent than FSR but aesthetically similar.

1 Like

It’s good. Not too overwhelming; not too slight. I often felt disappointed with the individual ingredients that went into its preparation, but the meal is more than the sum of its parts. If you play, be deliberate about how much you indulge in collectathon completionism: they won’t cut you off before it sours the taste.

2 Likes

Just echoing this. I like the freedom the game gives you in pursuing the case but it’s good to properly roleplay the investigation before the temptation to just pick everything up. Follow the most interesting leads and investigate things in an order that you think makes sense.

2 Likes

what’s the most hideous old game to do a 2xSai vs Blargg screenshot comparison for?

(this is for the same talk as I was bugging @BustedAstromech for DLSS videos for)

22 Likes

ahahhaha you’re on a roll today

Guys!
I need to hack my PS4 Pro.
I have lower firmware than 6.72 (which is the good one for hacking). How should I update to 6.72?

Any reputable guide to hack the PS4?

Thanks!

I’m actually being drawn in by the premise of the Xbox Series S (Xbox SS?) since it’s relatively cheap and would help me catch up on the handful of Microsoft exclusive games I haven’t played and don’t want to experience through the Windows Games Store.

I did a similar thing with 360 but only ended up enjoying Deadly Premonition and Bullet Witch (kinda) so I guess it was worth it.

Anyway, question! I feel like Xbox Gamepass is some weird scam somewhere down the line, like how does my buying it benefit a given developer?

1 Like

rumblings of concern

It’s hard to turn down subscription pass money, especially since every game featured has increased sales on other platforms, but the subscription company owning the customer relationship will eventually result in the subscription company extracting all the value.

On the other hand, game developers almost exclusively work on projects that lose money, so being paid wages by Microsoft or whoever to make a game whose profits don’t come back to them isn’t very different from making a game that disappears into the ether forever

6 Likes

Interesting. I have a mental model of the developer getting a little money in their account from my full-price purchase of a game (yet I know a significant portion of this gets split between publisher, platform-holder, manufacturer (for physical package), tax etc.) but what I’m imagining may not line up with reality regarding these more indirect means of support. What I’d really like to communicate is a support for the games I’d like to see more of or am expressing a ‘value vote’ for.

Not sure if I am being naïve about this though. Idealistically I’d like to think of the full purchase as my ‘I endorse this message (or at least its attempt)’.

2 Likes

Dragon’s Dogma and Outward are both on sale right now, and I aim to game. Which one should I play?

(I’ve never played either before)

• Dragon’s Dogma
  • Outward

0 voters

1 Like

I dunno looks pretty unanimous to me

11 Likes

oh hey

1 Like