Puzzle Pavilion

Someone mentioned a puzzlescript game named Vertebrae to me recently and out of curiosity/boredom I gave it a shot and what an absolutely vicious yet simple looking puzzle game this appears to be. I assume getting stuck for a bit on level 2 out of 50 is a bad sign, I eventually got through the first 8 levels (was stuck on the 7th for an hour or so) and am unsure how much more time I’ll put into it but it felt like something worth passing along.

To give a quick summary it is a sokoban where you play as a little mouse who crawls inside a dead snake skull and must push rocks onto switches to open the way off the current screen/puzzle. What makes it so tricky is that you eventually get some vertebrae attached to said skull that trail behind you; this both means that you have to manage the trailing bits to push things (if you move forward or turn the vertebrae follow you, if you back up they stay in their current orientation) and that you can use the environment to snap parts of said spine off in order to use them as temporary blocks themselves or to adjust your size to be more maneuverable through tight spaces so that you don’t get stuck or accidentally bump into/move certain rocks. Don’t worry, they snap right back on.

Like I said the difficulty level is, umm… basically set to max right at the start, I literally cannot even imagine what late game levels will look like. I’m not sure how many people in existence would know…

3 Likes