point me to some other songs like this one

obvious suggestions are fine, assume i have been living under a rock

(i like the rest of the album this comes from too)

it looks like most of the small music library on my hard drive is electronic and drone music, chiptunes, symphonic metal (e.g. nightwish), sleazy anime/vidcon soundtracks, dire straits, jam bands (e.g. disco biscuits) and pink floyd

i want to try to branch out a little bit but i am not good at it

i am sick with the worst cold so this is a good time to listen to music and zone out on painkillers

I’m gonna post two differing things, let me know if either is headed in the right direction:

Bach, Mahler, Coltrane, Davis(, Miles)

That should get you started.

these are all only “sorta” but i think you’ll like em

that one’s a good song btw. i will have to check out that band more.

1 Like

they are all great but i don’t really see the connection

i did like them. Prison Girls is definitely closest to what i’m looking for tonally

other things i thought of that fit what i’m looking for: this silence is mine, paranoid android/lucky (i guess this is thread where i admit to liking ok computer)

idk if an overlap exists between all of these or if it’s only in my head, if you can describe it then you’re smarter than me

1 Like

Oh they’re nothing like that, but you said you wanted to branch out so, yeah, those are good ways to branch out.

1 Like
1 Like

omg meauxdal* you are a PMJ fan? Can we just make this a PMJ thread now. (They’re not all good. But some of them are great.)

*I can’t believe I can’t remember your original handle, it’s driving me nuts, and it’s my policy always to refer to everyone by their original handle.

1 Like

composerzane iirc

apologies if I am wrong.

1 Like

THAT’S IT thank you.

@seven

Is this like, a more earnest Richard Cheese

On the subject of expanding musical horizons, I just got around to listening to an episode of this:

which deconstructs songs from all kinds of artists while they explain how the track was realized. Which means you get to hear stuff isolated in the mix. There’s a Bjork episode! I haven’t listened to that one.

I’m not sure if you’ll find what you’re looking for here but it’s definitely cool to hear songs certain songs ripped apart and explained, and it’s been giving me an appreciation for artists I might have previously looked over. Anyway, if I wasn’t at work right now I’d probably be marathoning episodes.

1 Like

It’s what happens when band dorks get music degrees and unfettered access to Web 3.0.

song exploder is FANTASTIC.

I actually attended a live recording of it for a Matmos track, and hearing that vs. the final product is really interesting! the host lets the artists go on and on and it’s kind of amazing that there’s enough of a thread behind the entire interview to stitch it together so cohesively, but maybe that’s hrishikesh’s super skill at work