Podcast Episode #76: The Select Button Podcast 64

Direct Download: MP3

Episode Description:
The N64 Episode.

Episode #76, ft. american2004, Felix, GlamGrimfire, notbov, sleepysmiles, Rudie, and VirtualClint

4 Likes

@american2004, @Felix, @GlamGrimfire, @notbov, @sleepysmiles, @Rudie, and @VastleCania

That Bomberman with the ridiculous cheat code window is Bomberman 64 : )

Bloobs hot list of games by year, starting 1998.

• Body Harvest
  • Dezaemon 3D
  • F-Zero X
  • Fighter’s Destiny
  • Glover
  • ISS 98
  • Kobe Bryant’s
  • NFL Blitz

• Bangai-O
  • HSV/Beetle Adventure Racing
  • Castlevanias
  • Chameleon Twist 2
  • Hybrid Heaven
  • ISS 2000
  • Poke’mon Snap
  • Smash Bros.
  • WinBack

• Excitebike 64
  • Majora’s Mask
  • Mario Tennis
  • Paper Mario
  • Perfect Dark
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Wrestlin stuff

2000 is actually probably the best year of its life after 97.

1 Like

yeah, they managed to get a good batch of stuff out in 2000. there’s a lot of duplication with the dreamcast in terms of its better late releases though (smash : power stone, mario tennis : virtua tennis, perfect dark : quake 3)

I love Perfect Dark’s dumb gimmick bots in the near broken multiplayer.

Never did mess a lot with 360 port.

Felix, how could you forget the price heard 'round the world?

1 Like

i’m only like halfway through so far, but i have two things to add:

regarding music, early wrestling games used midi versions of wrestler’s entrance themes. later wrestling games i think used some kind of trickery, whereby the songs would be sped up so the file was only a few seconds long, then the game would play them slowed down so they sounded (kind of) normal. they also replaced titantron videos with charming little gif-like animations, and creating “no mercy trons” for modern wrestlers is something that people on wrestling boards sometimes do.

the second thing is that i’m amazed you somehow got emergency broadcast network to make part of the podcast

1 Like

Man B Coma, you bored at work or something? That mid-90’s N64 release news coverage montage was fantastic.

I SEE YOUR FFDOG QUEST64 REFERENCE RUDIE. I KNOW THE CANON.

2 Likes

Ha, well I did it for fun. I’m not really much when it comes to making music, so I had to cover it up with something absurd.

Actually I forgot EBN which @loki mentioned existed (even though I definitely watched it when it was linked on SB before). I was more directly inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnzV-2DzxTU