Please, Carcassonne Was My Father's Name: The Board Game Thread

Cosmic Encounter is a big pile of crap. A group tried to use it to get me into board games back in the day, and it almost completely put me right off them.

Deception sounds fantastic! Especially that it’s best with more than 4 players because my group is sometimes quite large. EDIT: It goes up to 12! This sounds great. Sounds like a better game than Mysterium which I loved as an idea but as a game I think it didn’t quite work.

1 Like

So, I was really unhappy with how the game got to me when I ordered this, but they were VERY apologetic when I complained, and fast shipped a new copy that was packaged like the mona lisa. So I can now highly recommend this game AND the company (but maybe add a note that you want it packaged well before ordering)

I was supposed to play that a few weeks ago but we ended up doing something else, buuuuut, that game’s art is super attractive

It is a super fun game and I need to make photocopies of the maps so I don’t run out

FFG is losing the Games Workshop license and pulling all their products after next February. In related news, GW is dumb as a rock. (To be fair, it is possible FFG is too busy with their Star Wars money printing press)

Ffg keeps almost losing the star wars license too because they are technically not allowed to make star wars board games and imperial assault is uncomfortably close to being a board game.

I wouldnt mind starcraft/forbidden stars being rebranded yet again to a twilight imperium theme. Too bad they cant reskin chaos in the old world to a cthulhu theme since cthulhu wars is already that.

But seriously what is GW going to do now that there will be 0 good warhammer games in print

Er, what is Rebellion then? I mean, other than a fan fiction simulator. (When I played it Leia fell to the dark side and took out the rebels. I don’t even care about Star Wars and that was awesome.)

Its a miniatures skirmish game of course! (Dont tell hasbro that it has boards)

I am curious if inis is good

Tonight I played two games.

THE NASTY 7: This is a hilarious party/drinking game. It’s a very fast game where you slam a card down and depending what’s on the card, you either say 1 or 2 numbers, say nothing, or mumble (but a number is always added, up to seven, then it goes back to one). It’s really easy to make a mistake which is where the hilarity comes from. I haven’t laughed this much playing a game in a while.

SAY BYE TO THE VILLAINS: I had high hopes for this one because it’s from the Love Letter/Cheaty Mages guy. It’s a co-op game where you have to take out bad guys, and plays like Cheaty Mages but with a few differences. We messed up and forget to shuffle one of the decks which made it very difficult, but even so I’m not sure if I’m feeling it. I’ll have to play it again (with a correctly shuffled deck) to really judge. Cheaty Mages and Love Letter are still great though.

Ok so, the word from FFG people is that Games Workshop wanted a non-compete agreement that X-wing would have violated which is the fucking dumbest thing I have heard today

I played DRAGON SLAYER last night, a pretty simple push your luck game. It’s a bit like Zombie Dice except not as brain dead (lol) and with a little bit of player interaction. Also the dice are sexy as hell. I might pick it up if I see it cheap just for the dice. The game itself is a nice, very simple filler. I wouldn’t pay much for it.

I played more Pandemic Legacy, it has gotten very difficult at this point. We’re up to late May. I think probably roadblocking an entire continent is the right thing to do now as we now have a fallen and collapsing city in the middle of the COdA area.

we’re in december but haven’t played in a couple months, need to finish the game sometime

I spent more than ten years buying Magic: the Gathering cards despite having nobody to play with for most of that period… but apparently there was a time when I decided to start buying some other board and card games to share with my nonexistent play group, because my parents dropped off a bunch of those hitherto forgotten games last month.

This is the part where I’d like to say that they’re great games, and I’m so happy to be reunited with them, buuuuuuut… they’re a lot like my experience with Dead of Winter: something about the design intrigued me enough to buy them unplayed, but I’m not sure that they actually hold up.

The games in question:
-Clue: The Great Museum Caper
-THE aMAZEing LABYRINTH (this one actually is great, although definitely aimed at kids)
-Girl Genius: The Works is also actually good, I think, but I’ve only ever played solitaire.
-Twitch and Falling, both of which feel more stressful than fun
-Witch Trial
-Before I Kill You, Mr. Bond…
-Unexploded Cow
-Kill Doctor Lucky

In other news, while we were in Michigan for a wedding, Julie and I finally got to play Mascarade with another couple! She’d made no secret of the fact that she wasn’t interested in playing it when I got it last year, but the alcohol and circumstances got her to try it with us, and she was pleasantly surprised. I’m looking forward to playing it with more than four people soon.

I actually have no clue how James Ernest managed to be such a popular game designer. I really do not care for his pre-euro ameritrashy filler sensibilities. (This is just about the only time I would use ameritrash pejoratively)

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure how I originally came across Cheapass games—featured in a WotC periodical of some sort?—but I feel like James Ernest was definitely in the right place at the right time as far as his success as a designer is concerned. Reading threads like this one have really reinforced how much of my purchasing to this point has been governed by the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Oh yeah I remember seeing cheapass games ads in dragon magazine and the like. He fell backwards into timely marketing when no one took board games seriously

I think the gimmick of being cheap also genuinely helped. It is a lot easier to play a game only once or twice when it costs like 8 bucks.

Finally got around to X-Com the Board Game a few years after all the hype war off and no one plays it anymore. It was better in concept than execution.

One player basically didn’t have any interesting decisions because everything they could do would benefit us in some way. I had some interesting decisions but no real difficulty playing through. Otherwise it was more fiddly than challenging.

While I appreciate the idea of each player having their own specific minigame and I kind of dug the ‘shouting to get stuff done’ feel of the real time portion, I was much less enthused by the resolution phase of each round. Where, after we assigned all of our workers to their tasks, we rolled dice in a push your luck minigame that was broadly similar for every player. This was uninspiring, to say the least. I know some folks get excited by push your luck games but I just don’t see the appeal. It is the barest elaboration on rolling dice imaginable.

Just stick with Space Alert