Playing Outside The Narrative

i’m sure there’s lots of indie games that do it tho psychosomnium is the first i played. it’s debateable whether a sequence of different player characters counts but i feel enough is made of the eerily uniform way control passes from one to the next without a break in the same scene to qualify.

will stop bringing up vasily zotov everywhere but one of the reasons stuff like space spy is interesting is that it’s so hard to tie back to any kind of consistent point of view. like technically a lot of games involve conflicting ui sensory organs but by manifesting them all in the same worldspace and mangling them in the representational hierarchy it really makes it harder to figure out exactly where you’re situated in relation to what’s happening even as observer.

feel like there must have been a lot of zx spectrum / zzt / knytt games that involved fixed narrative dioramas that you just sort of scrolled around as some kind of little ball guy who was basically incidental to the action / just happened to be the easiest way to get that stuff into game form. bitsy too i guess but no specific names come to mind

i’ve made various joke games that tried to goof around with this notion and i feel lots of other people have too, so wd be interested in more history of it !

3 Likes