Playdate

yeah when I read “crank” my mind immediately went to emergency flashlights/radios; frantically cranking while the screen flickers and trying to somehow brace the whole thing and manipulate buttons at the same time with my non-crank hand, etc.

the reality does not appear to live up to my masochistic fantasies

3 Likes

select button
the reality does not appear to live up to my masochistic fantasies

15 Likes

the gruber post about this thing made me legit nauseous so i hate it

3 Likes

Sure love to generalize when only a third of the games have been announced. (The replies do say at least one trans woman has said they’re developing for it, and I still don’t think it’s enough representation but can we at least wait to know before saying shit like this)

3 Likes

I guess I keep going back and forth on this thing, and that dirtbagboyfren tweet helped bring some of that into focus.

The initial annoucement, its tone and content, reminded me way too much of indie dev scenes I was involved with back in 2012. I bounced hard off those scenes because of, for lack of nuance, white cis dudes being white cis dudes. I keep getting WHIFFS of that same energy off of Playdate so, while the concept and hardware excite me, I’m extremely wary of the participants.

I’m glad there’s at least one trans artist working on something for this thing? However I still think it’s relevant that the announced artists, the ones on their press site, were all fairly well-known cis dudes. In spite of the amazing work being made by trans artists in games, cis dudes like me are still treated like the default and it fucking sucks, The fact that no trans artists were included in the initial announcement is not insignificant.

6 Likes

my only complaint about this is the lack of non cis boys writing games for it, it looks like a fun toy and $150 sounds reasonable for quality hardware & paying devs decently to make stuff for it. (i don’t get why everyone expects indie stuff to be dirt cheap, it’s part of the reason why like every indie dev except like jon blow is barely scraping by)

imo small shops experimenting with niche consoles with weird limitations seems like a good thing? i didn’t realize people actually liked two identical $400 consoles + the switch as the only ways to play games without spending a bunch of time and money building a pc

11 Likes

I mean I also like having a hacked PSP to play SCUMM games on

Like, there’s more than expensive boutique and major console

3 Likes

fair! i really miss how everything used to be so easy to softmod

fwiw it sounds like it’ll support side loading? hopefully the sdk will be easily accessible, tho it being mac only isn’t great (tho i understand a small mac dev shop not having the resources to build cross platform tools)

2 Likes

So this is some bullshit:

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/playdate-the-la-zine-fest-weird-games-and-what-it-means-for-playdate-to-lose-its-name

Not gonna tl;dr it because it’s worth a read.

7 Likes

seems to make their last flub seem like less of a flub

1 Like

yeah, I wanted to say something in response to the last discussion about the perceived lack of diversity but didn’t want it to come across as making excuses – panic are fully emblematic of a certain kind of gen X developer elite, the kind of group that witnessed if not built much of the current ecosystem of web programming, the kind of people who are already on a familiar basis with many of the artists who are contributing to this thing and preferred to do something with their friends rather than take on the work of reaching out to others.

there are a lot of what should by now be very well understood pitfalls inherent in this; it’s the tension between “hey, we’re just doing something small here, we weren’t trying to be all things to all people!” vs. “well, maybe you have more influence than you’re willing to admit and you need to take more responsibility for that” and it’s all in the context of a public that is a lot more critical of this thing than many of these creators from half a generation ago have willingly internalized.

I hope nathalie lawhead gets the name back.

remember when Christine Love had to stop Gabe from Penny Arcade from further embarrassing himself?

anyway I’m always happy to see criticism of any project involving Frank Cifaldi, who I hate

2 Likes

There’s definitely also a part of Apple culture secrecy in there, where you don’t want anyone to spoil your surprise and carefully crafted marketing message so you don’t reach out as much to outside people and stick to a trusted inner circle

3 Likes

why

did I miss something involving him?

no jesus not everyone has to be cancelled can’t we have petty personal grudges

this is exactly why I’m even as equivocal about the expectation of being all things to all people as I am lol

(though for the record while I think having to be all things to all people is bad for art, I think shutting down existing art spaces is much worse)

I wasn’t asking necessarily if he did something ~problematic~ I’m just curious sheesh

2 Likes

my cause isn’t social justice I’m just nosy

1 Like

in that case he did something shitty to a friend of mine