Playdate

Yeah. That price really doesn’t seem bad when you factor that it comes with 12 games.

The relevant bit on the page is

All twelve games in Season One will be included — there’s no extra charge.

Sounds like they will charge some sort of seasonal pass for games.
It’ll be interesting to see if you can buy individual games, and past seasons.

Since the price of the system includes the first season free, then seasons will probably be reasonably priced. The seasonal pass system sounds like a good system provided they aren’t too precious about it. It would be a shame if they don’t have some sort of model to let you purchase games that have already been released.

1 Like

Robert Yang dick game where the crank keep your cock hard PLS PLS

4 Likes

on the one hand I don’t think everything needs to be mass market or priced close to its materials cost

on the other I don’t see them being able to do anything really novel or essential with the form factor

so it’s just a cute indulgence which is fine

1 Like

watching nerds at work try to dunk on this thing like it is the Jaguar shortly after admitting they bought a launch Ouya is some nerdenfreude, I tell you wut.

15 Likes

Looking at the specs again… why does this thing have Bluetooth? I get wifi, but Bluetooth? I guess if you want to use wireless headphones, sure, but if I were trying to keep costs down and battery life up, Bluetooth is the first feature I’d axe.

2 Likes

Okay but will they release officially compatible colored films I can put over the display a la the Vectrex

5 Likes

Looking forward to the Lego Mindstorms powered speedrun of some crank game

edit: I’m done shitposting ITT now sorry y’all

1 Like

I think this thing looks cool and I don’t think $150 is particularly unreasonable

if it was a mass market kind of deal I’m sure it could be cheaper but for a “boutique” toy that’s really fair

3 Likes

ok yeah, after reading more here/around, i see this is more of a

and in that regard, ok, sure, that’s fine. idk if i’ll bite, but i get it

1 Like

that and I think the quality of the actual games will determine whether or not the price is justified but they do have some pretty cool people involved on that front.

if the build quality ends up being shitty or whatever I obviously will feel differently but we’ll see

2 Likes

I’m not sure where you folks are getting the idea that this’ll be a closed platform. According to a Panic employee posting on Resetera, they want homebrew on it and will let you side-load games onto the device any time (source).

2 Likes

We’ve already seen it has 3D Pong but I do want Tempest. And maybe something with bicycles.

The screen not being backlit is a big disappointment.

1 Like

Somehow I’m completely okay with the display being what it is.

2 Likes

Ahh this is why i don’t like it. thanks for clarifying that

no shade against anyone who does, i’m just not a ‘boutique’ person really

4 Likes

None of that was made explicit on the official page which refers only to the curated library, so that’s probably where folks are getting that from. The resetera link is literally the first I’ve seen where they encourage homebrew.

It might just be designed ready for the citizens who have embraced the post-headphone jack world.

1 Like

still mad about the op1

they even cited the high reverb/ebay prices on the op1 when announcing the relaunch and we all assumed that this new run would help people not have to pay those prices

instead they just matched those high prices that people were selling for argh

gonna retreat to the music tech thread now

2 Likes

more on topic: I do actually feel like the launch of a new game console not from an established company is met with a lot of ennui from people who aren’t intimately acquainted with game dev these days, kind of like the launch of a new game engine would be, just because the burden of proof is so high on the part of the people making the thing

like, my ideal situation is the pico-8 stuff but with an aim toward putting it on a console with the same form factor/functionality as the GBA

pico 8 is still interesting for sure but it’s also, to most people, Just A Game Dev Tool

so maybe de-emphasizing open source and closing the platform goes some way toward pushing it away from that initial ennui? who knows

3 Likes