Playdate

also: of course teenage engineering came up with the crank

i can’t get over the screen, totally onboard otherwise

1 Like

The crank… I want to crank it real.

There has to be a port of Ridiculous Fishing, right?

6 Likes

Or it could be a sequel, Ridiculous Cranking.

I have dubbed this genre Crank Core.

2 Likes

It’s an e-ink type display! (edit-Actually it is NOT an e-ink display just an LCD)

Those are neat so this is neat. I don’t know about the price but hey some of these games might be neat and it sounds like they’re going to keep releasing games for it after the initial dozen.

3 Likes

I’m on board with everything except the shape of it in the hand and the press copy on that website

Especially on board with a future where sometimes people have money for boutique hardware and festival-size games, just because – maybe that’s a future like the world of synth hardware we’ve got today

I’d rather buy this than an NES Mini that’s for sure

going to name my exclusive Playdate streaming channel Cranker’s Cavern

10 Likes

will become interested in this when someone ports doom to it

6 Likes

that’s the goddamn mcdonalds font. you get this in a happy meal

playplace: the videogame console

2 Likes

Playdate: What turns your crank?

4 Likes

I love e-ink displays, except when they don’t refresh properly. That was the biggest fault of my gen 1 Pebble

1 Like

Playdate: We shaped it like that so we could sell grips

1 Like

Official Teenage Engineering grips

panic are very confidently high margin, they’re one of those Mac developers that act like they’re still good enough for 1990’s business models

like they’ll sell you the most expensive iOS ssh client by a factor of 3 and it actually is that much better than the others

plus they were the ones who made the we love katamari shirts back in 2005 so this particular intelligentsia is known territory for them

only $79.99*

1 Like

can’t wait to crank it on my play date :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

7 Likes

this thing has to be a joke, right? it looks like it was designed so that they could have a website to promote it. massively overpriced, no specs, closed system with zero announced games – which, by the way, you apparently don’t get to choose whether or not you want, all housed in a form factor that was obviously designed to sell it as a fashion piece before something you’d actually want to use. announced in edge under the headline “designed by rebels. backed by superstars.” which is exactly nonsensical enough to tell you what you need to know.

I think you could make a compelling boutique handheld console in 2019 just by taking a lower end phone processor, gutting all the garbage out to keep costs down, and giving it a sensible, solid control scheme that would make you want to use it over a phone. this thing is some hamfisted lifestyle accessory (which they tell you in the first sentence). if that verbiage doesn’t make you want to throw up, the idea works if it’s $50 instead of $150. it’s not because you’re paying $100 for the lifestyle part.

4 Likes

official soulja boy endorsement when?

2 Likes

it’s a game system for all the rooftop party friends from switch commercials

18 Likes