Pixels are not Square

I’ve missed CRTs.

3 Likes

mednafen* (*technically the retroarch fork of mednafen which includes hw upscaling) PSX dithering is indeed really nice; it took me by surprise the first time I used it in retroarch recently

2 Likes

Not big enough for sexy, bacon-thick scanlines

34 inches makes scanlines pop even with shitty, zoomed-out photos

(I would steal this TV if I actually had a way of transporting it)

I keep seeing huge free CRTs being put out on street corners and I wish so badly that there was room in my apartment/my future moving trucks/my wife’s heart to set one up for all 20th century games.

Will there ever be a demand to create an emulation filter for how bad an NES looks hooked up to a modern LCD screen via composite video?

2 Likes

Did the era of highly compressed YouTube videos with ten-minute time limits pass too quickly into pretty decent streaming to warrant a future nostalgia movement? Or will there be a future app that splits videos into random segments (1/3) between 5:20 and 9:45 with occasional simulated buffer pauses?

I have a 26" Trinitron holed up at my dad’s place waiting to be serviced by said dad. He’s a ‘get round to it’ kinda guy.

I would have preferred a 20" PVM, certainly, but down here one really can’t be picky. TV stations getting rid of/auctioning gear is one thing, since y’all have like fifty in every state. This was a case of “oh hey one of maybe three TV stations in WA is moving, here’s piles of obscure audio equipment and patch bays and one PVM.”

1 Like

oh god, you took me seriously

Anyway, the market in the states has hit peak demand, seeing as I can go on craigslist and do a search and see a 20 in PVM going for 500 dollars

The only upside to this is that I’m on the waiting list for the OSSC and I have a computer CRT on hand, so there’s that

:tv: analog fetishism is nothing to joke about, friend :tv:

Also yikes, wasn’t aware how dire the situation was.

1 Like

I was looking at pictures of games on sony pvms and I don’t know I think they’re too nice looking. it almost looked like playing in an emulator on a lcd with just some kind of horizontal scanline filter type deal

Yeah, it’s definitely less shit than the already ancient CRTs I played stuff on as a kid. Even composite signal is razor sharp. Sitting in front of it is another thing, though. Little factors like the curvature of the screen, “the glow” and that constant hum of the tube play into it, I think.

Should probably note that when it comes to picture quality, my perspective has always been skewed, given I played stuff over RF until, like, mid-to-late '90s. The rat’s nest of AV cords, Y-connectors, and general hacks my dad engineered to get all my systems hooked up at once looked like something out of Lain. So yeah, given that, stuff like “bleed” and “artifacting” and “line count” doesn’t worry me quite as much as it does the RGB crowd.

2 Likes

Do PVMs look like emulator output because they’re high-quality displays shooting out raw-ass video? Yeah.

Do they also not have the fuck ups of LCD displays? Oh yes.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t achieve climax unless my black levels are perfect and I can detect any kind of disconnect between me pressing a button and my dumb sprite doing a thing

1 Like

Oh yeah, one thing that’s blowing my mind is just how bad the input lag is on some games. I like to think I can mentally compensate for a few frames of lag, but sweet Jesus, Metal Slug Anthology.

How does 480i stuff look on these top-percentage CRTs? Is it flickery at all? Is it possible to do 480p on them? (that requires component cables though, right?)

Just about the only thing I haven’t done with this thing is test out the Component/RPG RGB inputs, actually. Should do that…

Yes forever.

My parents were fervently anti-console, so I only had handhelds as a kid. My first real console was a ps2, so my main source of nostalgia for game graphics was looking at the screenshots for SNES, MegaDrive and TurboDuo games in magazines

3 Likes

Especially this creepy-ass motherfucker:

6 Likes

6 Likes

I know, man. I know.

the shift in tone on the captions for screens 5 & 6 is also brilliant

i wish i could write for a magazine like this

1 Like

No comments on the front cover?