PC Engine: WELCOME TO THE IDEAL WORLD!

About Appare! Gateball

I played this way, way too much yesterday. Each time I lost, I learned something new. Each character has a different rate of speed for their swing meter. If a character is good at short distances, the swing meter moves slowly at the start of a swing. If they are good at long distance, the meter goes really fast as the start but slows down at the crest.

It’s golf where I can antagonize my opponent. I learned that hitting another ball, whether mine or theirs, let me knock the other ball wherever I wanted. This doesn’t work if I hit them coming from out of bounds. Every time a ball hits another ball or goes through a gate, I can get an extra swing. This leads to situations where I wanted to cluster my balls for extra swings, but place them in an area that the computer would be less likely to go out of their way for.

In conclusion, this game should be the final match at kusoge.

14 Likes

I’m an idiot who not only sorted that wiki list by release date and confused an “unreleased” (in Japan) title with an '87-'88 one but also decided to boot up Impossamole at all. I’ll spare the thread of that (for now)

played R-Type way too late into last night, what a beautiful game, gonna try to beat it for the first time. Am I crap at STGs because I don’t play enough of them or do I not play enough of them because I’m crap? Make me a better STGamer PC Engine, I’m ready

ezgif.com-optimize

ezgif.com-optimize (2)

(crt phone capture not so flattering for flashy bright sprites on a black background…)

12 Likes

pcengine is home to my favourite game over screen

22 Likes

Magical Chase is just the perfect little treat of a videogame. they should put that thing in a museum

10 Likes

YEs! And

overbeginning

16 Likes

I asked on my old S:NGP-spin-off forum, where he has hung out since near time immemorial:

https://paleface.net/z/monkey/barrel/65237.html

He said:

I think I heard something about this once but have forgotten it - I think the idea was that people knew about game ROMS and this had more “rom space” and so the “rom rom” made it seem bigger? But I’m not really sure! I know that I don’t like it, ha ha.

And the other PC Engine experty person there said

When a Japanese boy named Ramu is small they will call him Ramuramu…I think that’s it. It’s to make it seem cuter.

11 Likes

The cute/small angle makes sense since I know the system was designed to be compact.

3 Likes

a uk magazine took this iconic photo at the time, demonstrating the console’s small size

12 Likes

is it Skips-for-scale or is this a primordial overseas incarnation of Kuai kuai culture

warding off disc skipping by invoking the demon’s name in the form of an offering

8 Likes

R-Type is infamously difficult. Nothing had atmosphere like it when it showed up in arcades. It is start and source of why stage 3 in shooters is a big spaceship.

Watching ShmupJunkie I felt like I got context for a lot of these early shooters I didn’t have.

7 Likes

13 Likes

18 Likes

14 Likes

Don’t think I’ve seen the mountain dew xbox before.

2 Likes

gravitating towards youkai douchuuki cause i love gross little ghoulies.
like, look at this little guy poking out of the water, isn’t he just lovely?
Youkai Douchuuki (English v1.0)-230207-020616

handling is kinda slippery, but thats the kinda platforming i like. main attack is some kind of little bead you shoot out that returns to you, and rate of fire gets faster the less distance it needs to travel back to you. platforming is slight, but enemies just like to spawn in mid-air and fall down on the stage which keeps you on your toes. kinda jank. very cute. love that little map which takes a quarter of the screen at all times.

Youkai Douchuuki (English v1.0)-230207-020651

shot a frog and he took me to a gambling den. turns out with enough money i can catch a bouncing guy and buy some dango, which i can then feed to a cat on stage 2 to have them take care of the enemies for me.

there’s a drink named ben johnson that makes you run faster
Youkai Douchuuki (English v1.0)-230207-021531

the only boss i fought has you praying while your ghost fights them off and i wonder if this is how all fights are gonna go?
Youkai Douchuuki (English v1.0)-230207-020917

games really hard and seems to kick me back to the title screen every time i die. too early to give in to save-stating for me, but i was curious how this compares to the arcade original, so instead of going back in i booted up mame

so, first thing. other than being more detailed, the visuals have a lot stronger contrasts.

there’s also a ton of stuff that just got cut out of the pc-engine stages, optional paths, little platforming segments, unique enemies. they are nearly different games, with the pc-engine version heavily downscaled.

a lot of of the lost nuances are so neat too, like a specific enemy’s damage flash being them turning into a skeleton for a few frames, or that the gambling frog creates a stepladder of small frogs for you to climb on, or that both the gambling den and the item shop are hidden behind the status bar which just scrolls sideways to reveal them, and so on, and so on.

it’s also significantly harder, and i’m not sure if i’m really up for beating either one, tho i’d like to give arcade one more time. continues send you back to start of stage so it wouldn’t feel like cheating to push through like that.

14 Likes

I overlooked it at first but this writeup about its different endings really makes me want to beat it.

I made a slient pledge to renounce the save state lifestyle at the start of this. We’ll see how honest I’ll stay.

5 Likes

that’s really funny, but also i know i’m gonna settle for hell

4 Likes

Around the start of the pandemic I got really into Youkai Douchuuki (was it ever released in the West as Shadow Lands?), I was trying very hard to beat it but eventually I skipped a day and never went back. I still get the music stuck in my head all the time though.

I remember the GameCenter CX episode being very fun but I haven’t watched it since I got into the game…cuz I want to think someday…I’ll beat it myself.

Maybe now’s the time…

This gonna be me, once I beat the game…

10 Likes

I played through R-Type seriously about five or so years ago now and I can say that a) I was initially struck by how awful I was at it, and b) It is one of the very few shoot 'em ups I ever 1CC’d. Once you acclimate to it it isn’t super difficult but it is probably a bit memorization-heavy and it has some of the worst “gradius syndrome” you can come across, there is one late stage where if I died past the halfway point in it the run was over as even after spending dozens of lives trying to get past it with no power-ups there was one bit that was simply beyond me.

R-Type II on the other hand is a true monster, I tried putting some time into it afterwards and by stage 2 I had already ran into enough of a wall that after dumping a dozen or so virtual quarters into it with little to any progress made I had to accept that it was likely beyond my abilities.

9 Likes

I just realized something. Appare! Gateball (and the rest of the PC-Engine library) is available on Fightcade.

7 Likes