Paintings I wish I could see in person

Matthias Grunewald, Temptation of St. Anthony

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

The Menil here in town has a couple Mondrians,

Real cool. Nice crackles.

I finally saw some of Giger’s stuff in person a few month ago, that was pretty cool. I haven’t had the opportunity to look at a lot of airbrushed art.

Apparently seeing Mark Rothko’s paintings up close can make people feel emotions and junk, so that would be pretty cool I guess

1 Like

Yeah, Rothko stuff in person is much different than just in pictures/prints.

I got to see the Monet’s Water-Lily triptych last year and I still kinda get a little choked up about that. I grew up seeing just the one that the Cleveland Museum of Art had when I was a kid. The Museum is free, so my mom used to take me there all the time when she was working part time. We would tour one area and then go look at the armor gallery because I love that as a kid, and a lot of time it was the area with the Monet because my mom loves his stuff. I accidentally set off the alarm on the Water Lily when I was a kid, stepping up on the pressure pad in front of it to get a closer view. But I never did a lot of research on it or anything, so when I found out it was one of three that combined, I had to go see it. I kinda cried about it while I was there, because it was just this immense thing to finally see laid out like that. I sat on a bench and just stared at it for a long time.

So as for stuff I still want to see in person, I don’t really know. I felt like that one was pretty much it, but I am sure there will be more.

1 Like

I don’t get affected by paintings much one way or the other, but seeing what I think was this Jackson Pollock piece was breathtaking. I finally understood the big deal about Pollock. Not that I can articulate it in any meaningful way.

When we were in Paris we saw some Van Goghs, which would have been cool except the place was so crowded and hot that it was actually just frustrating. Was nice seeing the sunflowers though.

Saw the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, and that sucked. The fact that it was surrounded by (a) 200 people, and (b) huge impressive renaissance paintings for miles was a bit underwhelming. Same for the Venus de Milo.

when I was down in LA last week I got to see this exhibit: http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/unexpected-light-works-young-il-ahn

I love this kind of thing because you HAVE to see it in person – there’s no way to appreciate it otherwise because it’s so reliant on the ability to get closer and see the very fine details after you’ve seen it at scale

I’m kind of a sucker for this kind of manual analog replication of a process you’d normally do digitally

1 Like

Jackson Pollack in person is fantastic; sublime overload on your brain’s visual-pattern-recognition circuits

1 Like

Not painting per se but I was at the Milwaukee art museum a few years back and I saw a lot of Alphonse Mucha’s posters and they are absolutely incredible in person. Photographs and reproductions do not do them justice, especially the ones that used metallic foils.

Was thinking this morning that it’s been ages since the las time I was in the Prado museum and I want to see The Execution of Torrijos again.

Is great that El Prado has good quality images of each paintings, but this is one of those paintings you have to see in person.

EDIT: The site has also the preliminar drawing, nice. https://www.museodelprado.es/coleccion/obra-de-arte/fusilamiento-de-torrijos-y-sus-compaeros-en-las/43e96694-c05c-4ce8-84a2-5d246f20f879

1 Like

Sidney H. Sime

4 Likes

I’d be happy just to find a print of this one by Zdzislaw Beksinski:

3 Likes

Oh, I saw a Beksinski in person a few months ago at that travelling Guillermo Del Toro art exhibit, which was really exciting. That probably would have been on my list had this topic come up beforehand.

I’d love to see any of Francis Bacon’s Head or Pope series.

I think it would be fun to see some Bosch paintings.

Francis Bacon paintings work much better in reproduction imo

They’re just kinda yuck and thin and scratchy in person : /