On a log game kid (Analogue Pocket)

I’m extremely in to this. I can finally get rid of my GameCube.

6 Likes

Look at these people
Still trying to make videogames cool

2 Likes

i’ve whined about this on twitter, but i’ll do it here too: the first gg/ngpc clone console and it’s priced for rich hipsters. save us, aliexpress

The console itself has a 3.5-inch, 1600×1440 LCD screen

Uh, why the insane resolution? Are they interested in also replicating the battery life of a gameboy?

if the delays in releasing cartridge adapters for Mega Sg are any indication, we might be waiting quite some time before any of these actually come out.

wouldn’t be surprised if jailbroken units are playing roms of those games long before anyone is able to buy the privilege of mucking with physical media

you want as high-resolution screen as possible to minimize scaling artifacts since they are targeting handhelds with a wide variety of resolutions

3 Likes

itd be neat if you could set the colors like in a super game boy

You could on a GBC (holding button combos on startup) so I’d hope you can do the same with this crazy expensive one

Maybe I will finally use my flashmasta

adjusted for inflation about the same price as a gameboy was at launch

but also about twice the price of a GPi case and Pi Zero; would be cool if they made one of those that supported the more powerful Pi units

seems like a decent value, but based on that price seems like it must be running less powerful fpga(s?) than their other hardware

1 Like

the game boy at launch was a brand new console.

a chinese gb boy color is something like £30 brand new? and until those adapters get released, all this has to justify the price difference is a shinier case and tv out

An FPGA development board with a nice screen/case/buttons for only $199 feels like a killer deal to me.

I want to tell myself that I’d get a lot of mileage out of that aspect of the thingy, but knowing how good I am at hobby projects I’m doubtful.

3 Likes

like this thing ain’t running KOF2k2 but I wonder what it’s packin

A Game Boy lasts like 30 hours off 4 AAs though.

I wonder which will be a bigger hit; this or the Playdate.

1 Like

Does it? Maybe my parents just bought me cheap AAs

it would be nice if someone made a cheaper box for these consoles that just uses software emulation, but I don’t feel like this is a particularly fair criticism of this console. hardware emulation is not cheap to produce, especially for something that aims to be configurable for a range of hardware.

honestly for what hardware is in this thing $199 is not a bad price, especially compared to how much their NES/SNES clones cost.

my thing is ngpc isn’t too pricey second hand plus it feels amazing so i wouldn’t want to play its games any other way already

Backlight

1 Like

the screen is great but doesn’t make up for the ngpc stick imo

1 Like

they really did fuck up by not having a clickstick on this thing they might be making a game but that doesn’t mean they have to treat said making like it also one