Coffee (Formerly Eternally Doomed (Formerly Nu-DOOM Murder Junkies (Formerly I played the Doom closed alpha on PS4)))

If this is a request for permission to start posting about Max Payne 3 in this thread, permission granted

1 Like

Are you not playing on Nightmare? You can’t just “wait” to get damaged, and I do prefer to get headshots when I’m healed up enough or I just want to clear the space faster. In fact, I headshot more enemies than I GK them.

A yellow number pop-out and a flinch does not impress me.

that’s actually not what happens at all in destiny. enemy heads pop viciously and explode in a shower of white light. they flinch and stutter and stumble to the ground over themselves after shaking like an insect being crushed in your hand as a child. all of my gunplay in doom happens so far away from enemies I can’t get hurt, I had all of the possible ammo upgrades I could for the gun I use by the third level because exploration in this game leaves you completely overstocked on everything by the mid-way point.

also I disagree with the sentiment that you should have to play on nightmare to experience the game ‘properly’. if the developers wanted that to be how most people experienced the game and its values, it would be the standard difficulty, not an extra one

I’m more than halfway through the game now and still waiting for one of the arena rooms (or any of the levels) to do anything interesting with re: enemy placement and level design working together. most of the arenas seem to just be structured around giving high places for imps to attack you from, everybody else just spawns in open areas and bumbles around at you until youre in their line of sight. who is even bothered by hell knights when the game throws enough chainsaw gas at you if you explore to never have to not one-shot kill them

petitioning thread to be renamed “NU-Doom Murder Junkies”

A lot of the issues you are having don’t exist on Nightmare, as it demands tighter engagement with the encounters and all available space. Your playstyle, which you find boring, is not valid on Nightmare.

The “extra” modes are everything below it because not every company can be From; you can’t artistically dictate an enforced difficulty level in the Western gaming world unless you’re making a minigame or an MMO.

You’re probably right about Destiny’s headshots but I forgot since I was too preoccupied by the healthbars and the grinding and after enough strike repeats I became blind to the whole game.

Not a thing on Nightmare.

Please don’t complain about the easy modes being easy.

I’m playing on Hurt Me Plenty, which is advertised as the difficulty suitable for most people familiar with first person shooters and that it’s supposed to have a balanced difficulty. You’re telling me that the game was supposedly developed entirely around another difficulty: which not only do I not believe, but I’m not even going to humor because I rented the game and won’t give Bethesda a full 60$ for it

if this is how I, a person who does not play first-person shooters often, engages with the game on whatever the base difficulty is supposed to be but that NIghtmare is supposedly so much better or something than dogg they have no idea how to pace difficulty settings at all and shouldn’t have included any others in the game

just because Nightmare is supposedly better too, doesn’t exempt the game from criticism at whatever the other difficulties are, because they’re representative of a project that was developed and shipped and included them in mind

1 Like

Yes, playing two levels below the highest in a Western developed game in 2016 is going to be a cakewalk. I cannot think of a single title where this is not the case.

I don’t agree with it but that is how it is in damn near every game. You could at least raise it to UV in-game (Nightmare is locked to itself) for some decent licks.

1 Like

I like Metroid Prime because it’s a “lonely game”.

3 Likes

If you glory kill and no one is there to see it, do you still reap glory?

5 Likes

This is a game about dripping entrails, gouged eyeballs, dismembering the hands and heads of corpses to gain security clearance.

Finding it childish to appreciate this aesthetic… is childish. My life is decorous and responsible enough already, he posted from his cubicle on the clock.

1 Like

devil daggers tho

also I’m pretty damn stoked about my cubicle

it’s mine and I like it

1 Like

I have an actual office, get on my level

2 Likes

An atypically fast release from Noah Caldwell-Gervais for this one.

This is a documented churlishness but DD needed level design

I will not let this go

1 Like

yeah, it’s good for an afternoon and then you’re like, man, imagine if this were more than just a highscore chaser

Check your wall privilege, yuppie scum

2 Likes

Man this thread went places! Changed the name for you, Glam!

Anyway the level I’m on is the Argent Facility so I’m still early in the game. But that said my impression so far is that the game is well-made and fun to play but there’s too much consternation around whether or not it’s an actual Doom game or an actually good game or whatever the consternation is that I’m seeing (it’s probably just Vic being Vic).

And I don’t think that’s a very meaningful distinction because og Doom was inspired a small group of people’s favorite movies, books and music whereas Nu-DOOM is inspired by a much larger group of people’s impressions and perceptions of other Doom games. og id were smart to release their creation to the community that had sprung up around it because these days Doom isn’t the first game or a set of maps or particular .wads it’s all of that stuff and more.

og id doesn’t exist anymore so Nu-id is in the position of having to prove to everyone that they can still make a good FPS, which they have but it’s not going to be the same kind of groundbreaking, genre-creating, cultural phenomenon thing that the originals were. It can’t be mainly because as I already said the people who made it took their inspiration from other Doom games. Also Moore’s Law is reaching the point of diminishing returns so the PC hardware market is not exploding with the same kind of brand new, gee-whiz innovations that allowed the few people from og id to use technology in novel ways to push their ideas for games in new ways that no one’s thought of before.

Which is why Carmack left id for Oculus, because he probably sees that same kind of potential for novelty with VR that he saw for IBM computers in the 90s. Not to jump all over Carmack’s dick or anything but a person with his kind intellect is easily bored without some kind of exotically new, ground-breaking technological problem to solve.

Anyway I’m rambling at this point. What I’m really trying to say is Metroid Prime is still awesome and controls just fine for the kind of game it is. It was never an FPS to begin with and it’s irksome to see it still getting compared to those. Also my “cubicle” is big enough to house five people comfortably but right now it’s only being used by three eat it cubicle scrubs.

Nu-DOOM is good but not great, at least says this Murder Junkie. I can’t speak too much to the specifics as to whether Nightmare should have been Normal or whatever but I’m having a pleasant time on Ultra Violence. It can still wreck me if I let it (and it usually doesn’t after I’ve been playing a while) and I look forward to trying it on Nightmare eventually.

The tension between the combat and the upgrade system makes the game feel kind of schizophrenic. As though there were two (or more) camps within Nu-id during development that wanted to push the game in different directions… They’ve got all the AAA cruft with the upgrades but it’s like they’re acknowledging how inappropriate that stuff is for the kind of fast-paced keep-pushing-forward-into-Hell-itself game that everyone expects by letting you turn off each UI element individually and sticking all the upgrade stuff in menus that you can ignore completely if you never want to actually leave the action.

As a result the game pulls me in two directions: Part of me wants to keep pushing forward slaughtering monsters so I can see the next level and another part of me wants to constantly stop and track down every last little collectible so I can 100% the level and upgrade all my guns even though I mainly only use the shotgun and the rocket launcher so far. I want to do both of those things which means I’ll probably have to play the game at least twice and then I also want to try playing it without upgrading anything and see how it works as a more “pure” experience. It’s got some nasty hooks to it, this one.

id can still make a good game which is reassuring. Next I’d like to see their take on a Lovecraftian-inspired gothic-themed Quake using this technology. No Strogg please.

2 Likes

these are the most likely the most guns will kill entity this year 2016 in DOOM in 2016 this year

2 Likes

Tip: Check the challenges once, knock them out if you get stuck (honestly, the checklists have kept me going by doing silly things after I hit walls on difficult parts), and go back for the collectibles only when you’ve reached the exit gate. You’ll know where they are by the unexplored areas on the map.

Unfortunately, later on when the level design gets linear and sloggish, you’ll pass many Point of No Returns, and I had to replay a level immediately after finishing it to get the two runes I missed (one of which is very cheap and I’ll leave it unspoiled). It was cake the second time though.

[quote=“GlamGrimfire, post:171, topic:65, full:true”]
that’s actually not what happens at all in destiny. enemy heads pop viciously and explode in a shower of white light. they flinch and stutter and stumble to the ground over themselves after shaking like an insect being crushed in your hand as a child.[/quote]

They do that on the 15th headshot, but they only flinch for the first 14 headshots that only damaged them. Destiny’s MMO damage sponges really undermine the sense of impact. (But at least it makes more sense than in The Division which mindlessly makes unarmored human beings into Destiny-style sponges.)

1 Like
1 Like