Coffee (Formerly Eternally Doomed (Formerly Nu-DOOM Murder Junkies (Formerly I played the Doom closed alpha on PS4)))

def gonna need a guide to when artistic intent matters and doesn’t if I’m going to keep up with these doom threads

I don’t think it does and I don’t think I’ve said anything to indicate that it does.

I don’t know why we have two DOOM threads. I thought one was for the classic but now it’s all confused, almost as if they had the same name or something.

one was for the closed alpha and one was for the full game, but you started posting about the full game in the closed alpha one around the time the new one was made I think

mods, merge this sick filth

peak ear wax thread

This thread is for DOOM 2016.

1 Like

Might be time to rename the threads so they actually fit. old fogey doom vs newfangled doom

Call them “DOOM Forever” and “DOOM 2016”.

(wait no, that brings up DNF…)

Alternatively “DOOM” and “Diamond-Friendly presents DOOM 2016”.

1 Like

if you put vic’s name in a title I’m banning myself :waynestare:

2 Likes

BethesDOOM

“doom” and “doom 4”

1 Like

Bloodborne is another. In general, any game with quickly fading health drops is a form of this, though.

I changed the title because yeah this thread has been all about nu-doom while the other one has been about og-doom.

Anyway I’m up to the level after the foundry (or is it the one after that?). It’s the one where the ice queen villain lady just started some chain reaction to open a portal that I now get to try to prevent (by killing all the demons). Still enjoyable so far but I’m sad to hear the level design gets less interesting as you go on.

I wish the game had more of Nu-Wolfenstein’s attention to environmental detail with regard to establishing a narrative arc. Like how everything in the levels in that game served the purpose of creating a setting with all these little one-off details littered all over the place that fed back into the story the game was telling. Nu-DOOM kind of does this to a degree but it’s offset somewhat by the levels mainly being designed as combat arenas. It works when the combat is going on but after I’ve killed all the enemies and am going back to scour the level for secrets it kind of… doesn’t work. I guess I’m saying the levels don’t really work that well without a bunch of enemies to fight whereas in The New Order exploring the level itself was half the fun. You can tell id wanted to do something similar with all the secret stuff but they didn’t quite manage it, I think.

I am kind of interested in playing this game to compare and contrast with Starbreeze games, but not enough to spend money on it, especially since my PC is aging and I have zero interest in playing this thing without kb/m. Oh well.

yo this thread is talking some shit about metroid prime what’s up with that

5 Likes

high-five I think Metroid Prime renders Super Metroid obsolete. If I want claustrophobic alien death corridors I turn to Metroid 2 but if I want colorful space dungeons that insist on guiding me while pretending not to I prefer it in 3D

4 Likes

yeah pretty sure metroid prime still rules

maybe I’m due to play it again tbh

can I play it on my wiiu yet

probably not

;_;

2 Likes

That’s why you wait a few years when you have a better PC and pick it up for about five bucks on a Steam sale.

That’s my plan anyway.

literally norbert is up with that

e: i guess felix thinks that it’s aged into irrelevance too

like, the level design is unlike anything else out there (because the scope and pacing of the game are unlike any other first-person shooter), but the entire thing is so much a product of “well, dual analog isn’t really intuitive yet, let’s make this slow-paced metrovania-y thing except with super neat descent-style 3D maps and lots of flavour text in the environment.”

it’s unplayable facile and straightforward in 2016 the same way the lion’s share of nintendo stuff is, and highly implausible that anyone would make a game like it again. even if it remains great in isolation – and my memories would suggest that it more or less does – I’m not sure where to go from there.