Coffee (Formerly Eternally Doomed (Formerly Nu-DOOM Murder Junkies (Formerly I played the Doom closed alpha on PS4)))

yes, because that’s what i said in my post: that the humor is fantastic. brilliant.

fyi, i used that term in the most cynical way possible and emphasizing how the jokes are likely intentional in the context of the new colossus debacle, not actually approving it myself. but i understand you never recovered from the witcher thread, so you can’t help but make everything personal.

there is probably a better way to characterize the inevitable response of a reactionary fanbase to a work that delights in mocking them?

I can’t imagine why I’d ever think you’d be going out of your way to defend or excuse this sort of thing

I guess iD brought back the writer of the Doom novels to do some punch up.

3 Likes

yeah, i think that’s a poor choice of a word there given the connotation (now that I looked it up in the dictionary proper), but you can substitute it with controversy or internet rage. doesn’t really matter where one stands from the perspective of manipulating this for profit.

If there’s such a thing as a decent “anti-SJW” joke, then I’m a purple-assed baboon

4 Likes

You can definitely make good gags about people being shrill but shrillness is everywhere so

2 Likes

OK, that’s fair. I certainly don’t think bethesda or id are above trying to generate publicity, but the use of “debacle” suggested that they were somehow being cowed by people they’d hoped not to offend with wolfenstein and were now affecting a very low form of “edgy” to try to make up for it, which I don’t think is really borne out. in other words, it’s the implication of cowardice rather than cynicism that bugged me (and it’s just as likely this was an off the cuff remark and has nothing at all to do with wolfenstein’s reception, most videogame presenters are not that quick on their feet when trying to be funny.)

IMO if they really wanted to stir up controversy, they probably wouldn’t do it with a dad joke

2 Likes

uh, i’m confused. i thought we were talking about the in-game holographs saying lines like “earth is the melting pot of the universe” and the “demon can be offensive word, they prefer the term mortally challenged”, not the presenters?

oh wait is that actually the joke?

lol

that is just a straight up dad joke, that’s not a commentary on supposed political correctness at all

1 Like

Hi, it’s me, the guy who reads too much into everything!

I think the “Earth is the melting pot of the universe” and “demon can be an offensive term; refer to them as ‘mortally challenged’” lines are pot shots at the idea of diversity being a good thing by equating the idea of “political correctness” with literal demon worship!

It’s also very lazy and boring, and I suppose it was foolish of me to expect more from this game! It’s probably not worth making a big deal out of because: I’m sick of everything being a big controversial thing! There’s more important stuff to worry about!

Looks fun as hell though, will definitely buy at $20.

3 Likes

The first goddamn stumble is that there are any lines at all in Doom game beyond a grim end sequence

8 Likes

I dunno, I liked how in the first one people kept telling Doomy what to do and then he would ignore them and break stuff. That stopped happening at the halfway point of the game, though, and then I was over it.

8 Likes

In the opening, after some voice actor blathered for a minute from a screen and then Doomguy reacted by hurling the screen at the wall, I honestly believed that this was a declaration of the game’s attitude towards voice-based exposition and that the rest of the game would be blissfully free of it

3 Likes

Same. Then the game starts having people talk in your ear and it’s cute for a bit for them to go ‘Hey Doomn, got turn off that stupid scifi space bullshit,’ and then he would break it and they’d go, ‘Ugh, stop breaking things!’ and then by the end they’re just doing normal video game ear talking and I was :expressionless:

1 Like

I posted about the boring joke on Twitter and now I’m getting people all I’M GOING TO BUY TEN COPIES JUST FOR THAT JOKE!! in my mentions now lol

1 Like

I didn’t think the exposition was all that bad really, but where a certain amount gave some decent sci-if grounding they eventually tethered too much conventional (now) noise.

Stripped down some of the logs files or whatever gave some pretty amusing insights, not quite the same thing but reminding me of good Metroid Prime stuffs

I really liked the exposition in the first game, weirdly? Like, I was a pretty big fan of the log files and encyclopedia entries too. I really dig the idea of a corporation recklessly exploiting energy from literal Hell, and inspiring a cult-like dedication to the company itself. It’s a decent parody of the sorts of Tech Savior garbage we see in real life, and there’s all sorts of COOL BLOOD.

I honest-to-god want to know if Samuel Roboto thinks he’s a savior or is just trying to summon hell for no dang reason.

3 Likes

Also not like he needs more reason but giving the guy a little rationale in the second half then screwed over might work well for the upcoming outburst