Coffee (Formerly Eternally Doomed (Formerly Nu-DOOM Murder Junkies (Formerly I played the Doom closed alpha on PS4)))

I mean why the hell would you ever call a game Doom Eternal instead of Eternal Doom

4 Likes

Your sig amps very nicely.

And hellonearthyeah. Such a simple build to that skull stomp, with meaty chugg-snare ost sounds. Reminds me how on point this was too.

2 Likes

I really wish their monster design was better; it doesn’t read as scary or cool or metal-cheese or much of anything, really. And in a game that gets so much else right

2 Likes

I think it was hard for them, to not stand out too much from the environment. Many designs do carry “techno-organic demon” pretty well imo, they’re just less colorful and comic book looking than the original icons, for obvious reasons.

There’s a strong consistency, kind of sleeker realism among them though that works with everything else in the game. But yeah, having a few more oddly grafted or freakish monstrosities that creep, as opposed to the largely overwhelming types, would’ve been great.

I would have preferred them to skew towards more comic-booky all-around. For some reason techno-base scifi has no risk of going stale for me and Mars was saturated enough but I wanted charismatic monsters to push against.

I think the best tone compromise with their higher-fidelity world would be something like Warhammer 40k, which usually keeps its demons interesting while you have to pay attention to realize how goofy it is. I think of that as the same tone as Mad Max: Fury Road; impossibly indulgently stupid, but deadly serious to the characters in the story. It doesn’t feel pandering or insulting and satisfies more modern desires for ‘gritty realism’.

Mostly I think they don’t have artists or art direction strong enough to pull that off or be less safely conservative. It’s a shame given the risks they took in rethinking shooter design that mostly paid off.

6 Likes

Definitely could’ve used a bit more character in all that fodder. Looking at their art, 40k creatures are actually an excellent example, getting up close and personal Doomguy style with their graphicals.

I feel you on Fury Road but to me this one would be that, if we were to loosely analog w/the original 3 of both series.

I would extend this criticism to the visual design of the guns and the Praetor armor itself, all the more important because of how it becomes a divine relic of iconic theological importance in the new game’s cosmology.

Agree, though it didn’t bother me as much. I don’t think they had a clear idea why and how Doomguy looks different from Master Chief

nuDoomguy should have had his abdomen exposed and there should have been a convoluted lore reason for it

like the codex entry is so long and painfully worded you get a headache by the end, if you make it

5 Likes

The abdominal armor is flesh colored to trick the demons into attacking that spot thinking it’s a weak spot but it’s really not. Now get Hugo and turn that into 4,000 words of loredump.

NO

ABDOMEN. EXPOSED.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Wow you found the guy that sucks.

1 Like

16 Likes

Weirdly, I really want this new game to connect the stories of Doom 1, 2, and 64 to the modern games. Like, the story in DOOOMMM is kinda silly, but something about it got me really attached to the ideas. I want some sort of time loop thing where the Doom Guy is somehow the Doom Slayer from that ancient race, but also a marine somehow too??? I dunno, this game just makes me feel like a silly kid reveling in the cheesy story of Diablo 1 and 2. I love it.

Like, the story explicitly says that Doomguy’s armor is some alien material created by, uh, the ancient alien whatevers who originally lost to Hell. It’s also augmented by some denizen of hell, I think. But it’s also pretty clear that this is meant to be a direct sequel to Doom 64 where doomguy (the marine) stayed in hell to battle forever and ever.

So maybe Doomguy staying in hell somehow means he crossed a bunch of barriers and is not only a permanent resident of hell, but exists in all time periods in hell as well. Some sort of eternal vengeance spirit.

I love this garbage.

2 Likes

um excuse me i just realized the ending of this is essentially ripped off in Doom 2016

3 Likes
4 Likes

I talked about it very briefly in the games megathread but I finished NOOM and it fuckin ruled my school. I thought about immediately playing again on Nightmare but didn’t want to not have all my tools again - exploring was fun exactly once but I have no desire to do all those challenges and whatnot. You’d think that would mean Arcade Mode was for me and it too kind of rules but honestly I’ve never felt compelled by any kind of hi-score or chain system in any game ever. I just want to have all the stuff and not “grind” or do “challenges” and play a difficult single player game please.

6 Likes

I’m playing through it again on Ultra Violence a year after finishing Hurt Me Plenty, I think that’s about the right amount of time to let it sit. Nightmare kicked my ass too hard so it wasn’t fun, but I also suck at video games.

This game fucking rules (except the music is kinda meh)

I wish there was an option to just turn off the glory kill animations though, still. Or at least have a…less violent option? just snapping necks and stuff, I got sick of the real gross ones. I’ve already made this complaint upstream though so

1 Like

Play Arcade mode through at least a level or two; I’m not interested in bettering my time but the game really benefits from some pressure to keep moving forward and not secret-hunt. A frantic energy imbued by a down-ticking combo counter sits well on top of the frantic combat in which you can’t afford to get more than a glimpse of each enemy in favor of movement movement movement.

1 Like