Coffee (Formerly Eternally Doomed (Formerly Nu-DOOM Murder Junkies (Formerly I played the Doom closed alpha on PS4)))

At least Machinegames nee Starbreeze are using the idtech engine for something worthwhile. Not a Doom successor, though.

There actually is an upgrade system in this new Doom. There are three tiers to it: The first kind is an item you find in chests that lets you increase your armor, ammo or health capacity. The second kind is a performance enhancer you find on certain fallen enemies that improves general capabilities such as agility and eqiupment efficiency. The third kind are runes that are combined with the performance enhancers. Supposedly you can swap runes and performance enhancers out on the fly as the situation calls for it, like respeccing for a different character build.

I’ve read previews where they mention playing with a character built towards max dexterity and how this makes you move around, glory kill and mantle on and over objects even faster than it already is. Which is really dumb if you think about it because why would they make you go to all the trouble of finding all these different items so you can go just that little bit faster when they could have just stuck all that on a run button like in every other Doom game up to now.

I just… I don’t know. I’m shaking my head just thinking about it. Quit talking about how you’re designing everything to be faster paced and just make a fast-paced game. I wish now that MachineGames were remaking Doom because they did such a good job with Wolfenstein (a fast-paced FPS where it being fast-paced isn’t a marketing point!) because I really don’t trust any of the people left at id to do it.

I’ll still play this new Doom but only after it’s really cheap.

do tell

I wouldn’t call nuWolfenstein fast-paced, really. It plays more like Quake 2 or a real Duke3D sequel that didn’t suck. I mean you can stealth half of it for god’s sake. This is what I mean when I say that it’s a spectacular single-player FPS but it’s not a Doom successor.

It’d almost certainly be better than whatever id’s going to make, though. From what I saw of the multiplayer alpha it actually seems more like Halo. Big chunky guns, floaty jumps, emphasis on melee, that moderate pace to accommodate thumbstick twaddling.

Yeah you can stealth it if you want, and I totally did on my first play through, but holy hell if you aren’t flying around in that game gibbing dudes with dual wielded shotguns you need to start.

I’d call Quake 2 reasonably fast paced. Not classic Doom fast, but faster than Q1, and definitely faster than lots of more modern stuff.

keep forgetting none of the quake games were technically doom

coming soon from id software

as our follow-up to the commander keen trilogy, id software is working on
“the fight for justice”: a completely new approach to fantasy gaming. you
start not as a weakling with no food–you start as quake, the
strongest, most dangerous person on the continent. you start off with a
hammer of thunderbolts, a ring of regeneration, and a trans-dimensional
artifact. here the fun begins. you fight for justice, a secret
organization devoted to vanquishing evil from the land! this is
role-playing excitement.

and you don’t chunk around the screen. “the fight for justice” contains
fully animated scrolling backgrounds. all the people you meet have their
own lives, personalities, and objectives. a 256-color vga version will be
available (smooth scrolling 256-color screens–fancy that)!

and the depth of play will be intense. no more “whack whack here’s some
gold.” there will be interesting puzzles and decisions won’t be
“yes/no” but complex correlations of people and events.

“the fight for justice” will be the finest pc game yet.

[1990, found in a Commander Keen manual .txt file]

1 Like

the melee canned takedown things ruin any flow even in the trailers

is this a singleplayer thing? the main complaint re: q2 from the qw community was “fuck, this game is slow”

2 Likes

Yes. It’s more a difference in map and enemy design than how the player and weapons function, as opposed to MP where player and weapon function is the meat of it.

We can debate the relative pace of Quake 1 and 2, but what I really meant to say is that almost no significant FPS has matched Doom’s speed. Despite being in many ways the progenitor of the genre, mechanically it actually represents a dead branch of the evolutionary tree. Sadly.

tbh, few have matched how it approached combat, too.

It was heavy on projectiles and required keeping in mind where your enemies were from all directions and how to manipulate them to move and act the way you wanted them to. It wasn’t just control over your character but also of the environment and those within it.

I’ve been concerned about Doom 4’s projectiles ever since seeing them because they’re all very fast and in confined areas, making it kind of hard to tell one enemy apart from another.

Am I just completely failing to remember Quake adequately? I though that game was fast as hell. I mean, you can bunny hop all over the motherfucker. Granted I haven’t played that game since like, near the time of its release, but.

1 Like

Yes. The closest thing is probably Serious Sam, but SS lacks any kind of level design (huge in Doom) and replaces it with wave design, making it play more like a first-person Robotron than anything else.

1 Like

Well, like I said in my other post, I’m mainly referring to overall pacing of the SP game, not just how the player moves.

Q1 generally has smaller encounters of harder to kill things and trap rooms and such that tend give it much more inconsistent flow. You’ll be zipping around when Fiends are leaping through the air and grenades are bouncing all over, but not as much in between when you have to deal with the environment itself, both in navigating traps and obstacles and just finding your way through.

I feel like Q2 tends to keep a steadier flow, throwing more things at you that drop easier in more streamlined environments that let you rush through more, though it definitely has its slower parts as well. And those streamlined environments are less memorable and engaging than what you find in Q1, particularly when you start poking around for secrets.

I also don’t think there’s a huge difference between the two, but enough for me to notice. Though maybe it’s just me, and I approach Q2 differently than Q1 for some reason. And as I said in the previous post, it’s very much a matter of level design, so it can be quite variable once you expand into user maps.

Someone should mention that Romero made ANOTHER new Doom level and it’s pretty good. A good marketing campaign for his kickstarter, I guess.

Well, shoot, that doesn’t look half bad. I was relieved to see all the options for turning the HUD off and even adjusting the field of view.

Still wasn’t quite sold on the level design. I liked the degree of veticality on display and all the little hidden areas but everything still looked a little too wide open. Maybe I just need to see a higher difficulty level with more enemies filling up those spaces. It’s cool that the levels seemed really big.

All the upgrade stuff is, well, it’s upgrade stuff that’s for sure. Every game has to have a Skinner box of an upgrade system built into it these days. It might be interesting to play the game without upgrading anything though. Or it might be really tedious I don’t know.

Still not really on board with enemies dropping health and ammo but at least you can turn off the shiny “eviscerate me now” glow.

Maybe I won’t wait until it’s really cheap to play it.

Man with this new Doom shaping up to maybe be something and John Romero and Adrian Carmack making a new game it’s really kind of the best of both worlds right now.