Coffee (Formerly Eternally Doomed (Formerly Nu-DOOM Murder Junkies (Formerly I played the Doom closed alpha on PS4)))

I was actually getting more impatient immediately before the first trip to hell (i.e. the tower), as that was when the hidden stuff was at its most fiddly – though I’ve probably gotten 85%+ of it through the whole game and found it pretty tasteful and fun – and the difficulty was failing to ramp up. it’s true that a lot of the best setpieces came between the first and the second hell trip but it doesn’t really outstay its welcome.

the best runes are clearly longer range glory kills and infinite ammo above a certain armor threshold. I constantly forget I have grenades but I love how many options the game gives you despite (and because of) being entirely linear

1 Like

I’m guessing that last good setpiece you were referring to was between the train and the elevator? because yeow.

"where’s the summoner where’s the summoner where’s the–shit

1 Like

the final boss is tricky

There’s a platforming element in there that would have been pretty cool if they had used it in the regular game up to that point.

The bosses felt really out of place, considering how original DOOM handled them. All of a sudden you have a health bar popping up and now you gotta fight this big dude in an empty circular arena. I think it would have been fine with visual cues instead. And I agree that the later set pieces felt like multiplayer arenas; still had the verticality I appreciated but it no longer felt organic to the world I’m fighting in.

Felt satisfied by the game after I finished though. Well worth spending money buying a newish PC so I could actually play Nu-Doom (and other modern AAA games).

1 Like

End of the first one is why Im so glad I was a four year old playing Final Doom on the Playstation.

Has anyone tried out any of these recommended Snapmap campaigns?

2 Likes

is anything in this game other than the main campaign (i.e. multiplayer or snapmap) worth a look?

That’s what I’m asking, they give a recommended list of fan-made campaigns at the end of this video on Snapmap updates, which to be fair, looks like it might be fairly consequential.

http://www.gamesradar.com/10-amazing-doom-snapmaps-you-should-play-now/

I have finally started playing this (it was really cheap in the store, cheaper than the steam sale??) and the opening level is great, the second level is kinda hmm i wonder where it’s going, i am now on the third, let us see what happens

2 Likes

i sequence broke the third level so that was cool

3 Likes

I have been playing this a lot! I think I’m near the end.

THINGS I LIKE
no hitscan enemies!
good focus on movement!
moving is fun!
finding secrets is fun!
i like how early you go to hell!
the story is fun!
this game is fun!

THINGS I DON’T LIKE
levels go on for fucking ever
those dudes with the shields really mess up the flow of the combat imo
art design is pretty meh (some of the enemy designs are cool though, its more the environments which are boring) but at least it’s a pretty meh
didn’t like the early level objectives (find three of these things) the later leels where you pretty much just find your way from a to b are better
don’t like the arena lock in stuff. well i don’t mind them, i just prefer wandering around and fighting pre-placed groups of enemies as i explore

3 Likes

i never really worked out a consistent way to deal with the shields and assumed it was just me being dumb. glad someone else find that stuff bad.

I would like this game so much more if they had toned down all the player progression stuff and possibly the amount of fairly redundant weapons.

Also if the HUD informed you of your whole ammo pool rather than just the gun you’re holding in hand.

1 Like

SELECTBUTTON.NET

3 Likes