Night in the Woods

I’m enjoying this game so far. It feels oddly therapeutic in a way.

oh hey, i beat this game.

nothing like picking up a chill adventure game with a cute/spooky art style and enjoyable characters and then actually playing it and being reminded of what a huge, selfish piece of shit you were to all your friends and loved ones when you were in your early 20s.

anyways, i liked the rhythm game parts

3 Likes

I got the good ending

4 Likes

highly throwable imp yessss

1 Like

Just got to Part 3 after sinking 50 hours into Zelda.

I don’t understand what I’m supposed to be getting out of the dream sequences. They don’t have any immediate relation to the story that I can tell, and they’re only interactive enough to give you a reason to walk around in them.

Mae is still a jerk btw.

The bit with Gregg in the woods was odd. His anxiety about being a bad person seemed like it was building to a specific act, but it was just vague class anxiety? That’s OK, I was just waiting for Gregg the Assailant to fess up to a stabbing.

Selmers

Just finished this. I didn’t think it needed a run button but I did start thinking about what a slide woulda brought to the table…

Shocked that Lori’s trophy was under 10% achieved on PS4, considering she’s the best character after Germ… and Selmers (the library scene… omg). I also opted for Bea and don’t think I have the patience (or time) for a second playthrough anytime soon (cos I kind of don’t care about Gregg?).

The game’s pacing is so strange. I’m still divided on whether the Animal Crossing-esque ‘checking everywhere every day’ thing became endearing to me by the end, or if it was just repetitive in a tedious way. The potential for neat hidden-in-plain-sight secrets that the excellent Germ sewer vignette promises briefly breathed new life into the game for me, but ultimately I felt like the traversal and exploring could have been more rewarding. With that said, it’s obviously a game about the characters and they did that pretttttty darn well.

2 Likes

I finished it yesterday and I feel like a good GameFAQs overview and maybe some YouTube vids and I’m good to go. Good game.

How urgent is getting in close to when it hits for this? I know I’m going to get this and Abzu but it’s a matter of which one first

In lieu of me actually contributing like I should (very sorry, I’ve been struggling with energy lately), here’s a really good little bit chat about this game with the Talk Simulator 2/Mumblesquad boys. As far as I can tell, it is not spoily.

Ronk’s post was spot on, yeah. But like that’s another reason why I’m happy to have played this game.

My favorite character was Germ for sure. He’s got some cut content that is FULL OF END GAME SPOILERS so I am just gonna link without embedding here. I’ve played through this game twice already; I never pick up a game immediately after beating it, but I wanted to try a buncha different stuff this time and hunt secrets. Totally worth it. A lot of trophies are still bugged on PS4 so I’ll probably wait awhile before playing again.

I feel like the game does sorta fall apart around the climax/crux of what’s going on - I don’t think the characters’ narrative style allows for them to talk about deep shit. Maybe the Germ’s grandma stuff (from the link above) would have helped, I dunno. Spoiled that last part even though I’m not too specific about it.

3 Likes

Pushing my way through this again, and it’s starting to get to the downer shit and fucked up shit, so I’m pumped. Mae is definitely showing off her asshole side, now that I’m following the Bea route (assuming there are routes). Kind of already tired of doing the “stealth” segments.

I don’t see my younger self in Mae so much, or at least not enough that I feel bad, but the game is certainly invoking some existential future dread in me. Maybe that means I’m more immature or less experienced than most of the other people here. Good times!

I picked this up earlier, but I’m just now getting into it after a weekend in rural Missouri, which feels very much the kind of setting this is invoking. Rereading the thread, I forgot about the supplementary materials!! Gonna have to play those tonight, I guess? Had one major split so far, and went with Bea.

Good god but Gregg throws a mean bottle.

gregg rulz ok

4 Likes

This game is so great.

1 Like

I finished my playthrough!

…what a weird game!

To spare others some trouble, assuming people who haven’t played yet are even reading this, it is okay to hang out with incidental characters on days when you ostensibly have to pick between Gregg, Bea, and/or Angus. I would have been hanging with townies nonstop if I’d known that this wasn’t going to derail my plans for Crimes, etc.

I liked the dreams. Yes, they were probably the worst parts. I got stuck a couple times, and I was a little underwhelmed by the ways the dreams changed as you located each objective. (I was really excited by the idea when I first realized what was happening, but something about the execution failed to deliver on the promise I saw in it.) Even with those complaints, the dreams seemed important in a way that felt consistent with the best of actual dreams.

I tried to alternate who I spent time with, but things wound up feeling in this playthrough like Bea’s story, featuring Random Acts of Gregg. Maybe as a consequence, the ending felt a bit jumbled? Like, the Big Secrets all made enough sense, but the simple progression of events felt really rushed, for how long it took to play out. I’m probably just picking nits.

Probably gonna play through more, but I really agree with anothergod about wanting a story FAQ. I kind of doubt I’ll find one that goes into as much detail as I want.

1 Like

If I had infinite time this is the kind of game I’d try to get all the trophies/achievements for. It’s like a distilled version of Persona.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is emphatically My Kind Of Game, but I’m still relieved to think how many neighbors I won’t have to check in with next time I try to play through it. (Unrelatedly, it kind of reminds me of Slouching Towards Bedlam, not that it’s all that similar.) I was a little disappointed at the FAQ selection available, as I suspected I might be, but the achievement guide in the Steam community for the game gave me a pretty good sense for how the whole thing fits together.