Night in the Woods

(There were a smattering of posts in GYPD, but they’re buried under an avalanche about how Shovel Knight is either good or so good it’s bad.)

The art and animation in this are astonishing. The music is very Album Leaf.

I intensely dislike Mae so far. That might be the point!

3 Likes

I really want to play this. Maybe when my tax refund comes in. I also need to play the little prologue game they released on itch.io.

So it turns out there are two “supplementary” games on itch.io, Lost Constellation and Longest Night. I just played through the former, and oh man is that some satisfying folklore. You get to play as the protagonist of a spooky bedtime story being told to the child version of the main game’s protag. The dialogue is consistently hilarious and foreboding. The music is insanely good (play this with headphones). You even get to make snowmen.

It’s really late here so I’m gonna have to play the latter supplement tomorrow. Then I’ll start NITW itself.

what genre of game is this? puzzle platformer?

I’d say it’s an adventure game with some brief genre mixing (including platforming). You are mostly walking around while reading and talking.

2 Likes

someone report back to me re: how lamezone this game is

I also don’t really like Guybrush, grandfather of sarcastic jackholes. Manny Calavera’s my favorite adventure game protagonist.

I like all of Mae’s friends!

1 Like

Eh, I don’t know that it works when the protagonist is supposed to be a real character instead of a half character/half theatrical narrator. At that point you’re just an asshole that says mean things to people (which, you know, same.)

I have been poking away at this very slowly because I don’t have any free time in my workweek. I’m glad the game has a very discreet structure that makes 45-minutes-to-an-hour-sessions work well! At the party scene, the game suddenly started to be really charming and funny, and just more of the experience I was expecting going in. I can’t decide if there is actually a change in the writing itself or if I was in a better mood or what.

Maybe I’m just less sensitive to being a dick to everyone when you actually know them? At the very least, I am inordinately sympathetic to being a huge uncomfortable mess with bad self control.

2 Likes

maybe let’s not do arguments and just have regular discussion with differing opinions. the SK tangent was a bad situation imo.

!

Yeah, this is the difference between Guybrush and Manny.

Looking forward to this party scene! I liked the band practice and dungeon crawler.

What is lamezone

Is it the opposite of sharez0ne

http://lamezone.net/

i think they are probably adjacent in some sense

Just played through the Longest Night supplement, which is much more representative of the characters, and also really short. I really like how the writing for this can shift tones so quickly but naturally. The dialogue was a bit more Oxenfree in this supplement, which I’m okay with, but the dialogue in Lost Constellation was so killer that I’m expecting NITW itself to get really good. Gonna go grab my PS4 controller and dive in!

Jeeze, my OCD can’t handle how much this game branches. Also, I still have no idea where the plot is going and that’s pretty cool.

Also, I’m going to say the bad thing: I wish this game had a run button.

3 Likes

Okay I finally got time and I’m super charmed by this game. While I’m not in the age group of the protagonist, I’m still in that mindset of being stuck in the middle, lost in an era where the older people dislike you and the younger ones don’t understand you. If anything, I relate to this more because I’m some five years older than my irl friends, who are in Mae’s age group, but successful.

I can understand some people not feeling her character, but for me I love seeing that she’s a bit lost and bratty because that just means it’s gonna take a lot to knock her out of that.

Demontower is super basic Hyper Light Drifter with a Souls skin and it’s cute but I don’t really enjoy it. Love the cute bosses though, and the title music. According to one of the community guides, it has a secret True Ending, which is a cute touch.

I like how Mae clearly just heard the “All Cops Are Bastards” acronym somehow and latched onto it because she’s mentally a teen and doesn’t understand the historical context. She’s just being a punk.’

Hey look, a Betsy DeVos joke!

5 Likes

I had no idea this was a thing and thought it was “Assigned Cop At Birth”

5 Likes

I hung out with Gregg at the first branch and Bea at the second and both sections were my favorite so far. Looking forward to seeing the opposite options on revisiting.

There are some places where they stick in bullshit modes of interactivity, like the dream sequences where you walk around until all the lights are on. It’s odd considering the cute use of minigames elsewhere.

I stuck with Beatrice (although I took a chance on the light bulb thing being a free slot. I wish those were more clear) because of course I’m going to hang out with the aloof older sister type. I haven’t seen the other side yet, but most of those scenes are Mae at her absolute worst and you also get amazing dancing animations so I’m going to say I made the right choice.

I’d need to replay it regardless because I didn’t figure out you can save scum conversations by quitting before it ends until AFTER the ‘most embarrassing moment’ bit. I really need to know what the other two options are because I picked ‘college’ and it was the funniest part in the entire game.

1 Like