Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

DeadlySniper6969 is that you you motherfucker you ruined Star Trek: Elite Force for me

2 Likes

I put over 30 hours into Brink. I also liked Brink

i almost forgot about spending 60 on that game before refunds were a thingā€¦ you monster

1 Like

This looks cool. (Hotline Miami - Shitty Gamer Philosophy) + Co-Op sounds great.

EDIT: added parentheses to make sure the order of operations was clear

1 Like

So I DLed Brink and it isā€¦pretty decent so far for the like hour I have played. Should we make an SB thing of this?

Itā€™s a decent game, it just had a terrible launch and bad timing. While I loved Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and Quake Wars Enemy Territory, I was definitely in a small set of people who were looking forward to Brink.

I was starving for more Mirrorā€™s Edge at the time but I should have known it wasnā€™t really going to scratch the same itch

1 Like

new xcom 2 expansion sounds like alien hunters but moreso, and I already didnā€™t love the direction that was taking. think Iā€™m gonna pass but curious to hear othersā€™ impressions.

however, the dishonored standalone expansion actually sounds like itā€™s going to make needed additions to dishonored 2 in terms of mission structure (more conditional bonus objectives, more hitman-esque non-hostile zones, no elixirs to refill mana, no too-obvious upgrade trees), which is encouraging

still fifth fiddle to absolver / rock of ages 2 / original sin 2 / wolfenstein 2, but itā€™s officially in there

also pathologic and iconoclasts still arenā€™t scheduled for release

what iā€™ve played of absolver - admittedly only a couple of hours of a very early build and the beta, was kinda disappointing

it definitely has some crunch to it at least

I think I was in as soon as they said ā€œchoose your fur typeā€

thereā€™s definitely a lot that could go wrong, itā€™s a very crunch-centric genre being developed at a scale that necessitates a lot of middleware which historically has been a problem with euramerican fightmans, and it needs to be relatively successful as a competitive game to work, which is not a given. plus devolver has had a string of misses lately (or at least a lot of cases where their marketing budget seemed to far exceed their polishing budget)

nevertheless it seems very admirable and interesting

Never forget

Brink launched on Steam and had 70,000 players

a week later it was maybe half that

the slide kept on a goinā€™

I can safely say though that more people played Brink on PC than Battleborn. thatā€™s a win!

My biggest gripe with Absolver in the beta was how you only have one button to do attacks with one other alternate attack button to change your string with. You kinda have to be your own combat designer to make an attack string worth something. Feels like some half way between AAA combat and God hand and it just throws me off. I wouldā€™ve liked one more alternate attack button so Iā€™d have more access to utility attacks immediately.

ā€œOvercomplicated God Handā€ is a good, concise description of my experience with the beta. Which admittedly wasnā€™t that long, but, it felt like a game that had more ā€œto doā€ than the mechanics really seemed to support.

Also kinda turned off by how it feels like Frame Traps are the main path to opening people up outside of whiff punishing or style actions(parry, absorb, right stick dodge). If you are able to get a guard break or kill their stamina it only feels like you can get one or two hits in before they have enough to start guarding again. Also doesnā€™t feel like the game has ā€œtrueā€ combos at least not with the stuff I got and had arranged. So until the real stuff gets labbed out, it just feels like alot of mashing and hoping you land stuff and win the life/damage race.

Also, Brink came out on 360 and PS3 at a time where PSN had that big outage so people couldnā€™t actually play the game with other people.

Yeah I like the look of it. The customization options and the melee/shooting/jumping combat look pretty meaty. And the narrator! I hope the narrator is a constant presence. Also having to occasionally choose the good or evil path.

Iā€™m kind of leery about the seemingly Borderlands-style questing but Iā€™m giving it a pass for now since itā€™s early days and itā€™s just a demo. Looking forward to seeing what itā€™s like once the game world opens up more.

"post-apocalyptic kung fu fable"