Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

speaking from anecdotal experience i can tell u chapo recruited a ton of ppl to DSA, so no

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15143

Interesting. Good progress on FPGA SNES implementation.

1 Like

cooooooooooooooooool

(but still Nintendo why did you have to use that weird CPU that was backwards register-compatible with the almost-6502 in the NES if you weren’t going to actually make the SNES backwards compatible, it’s made emulation so needlessly difficult for so long)

I wish I immediately grasped the import of such a project

FPGAs theoretically allow for much more hardware-accurate emulation, rather than needing to convert everything to x86/ARM instructions

it’s not clear how popular they will ever become (e.g. whether they’ll be a stock addition to a desktop PC), and most people are never going to need emulation that accurate, but it’s a neat project

Not much import per se, it’s a technical exercise. It’s just cool that this is the first 100%-hardware SNES-compatible device made since Nintendo stopped manufacturing them. He built it by swapping out the chips on an original SNES with his own one by one like a ship of Theseus. It looks like the hardware analysis techniques he used to build it will also help further improve emulator accuracy.

[quote]
(but still Nintendo why did you have to use that weird CPU that was backwards register-compatible with the almost-6502 in the NES if you weren’t going to actually make the SNES backwards compatible, it’s made emulation so needlessly difficult for so long)[/quote]

Sounds like a case of project goals changing midway through development.

1 Like

yeah, must’ve been. the only good thing it ever accomplished, as far as I know, was letting them reuse the another world SNES source for the Apple IIGS port, because the IIGS actually did use the same weird CPU for backwards compatibility with their 8-bit computer

FPGAs are really slow compared to a fixed microchip. But they can sometimes be faster than an algorithm running on a non-custom chip. So they fall into these small-scale niche that are important enough to justify hardware, but not important enough to justify mass-produced hardware. For example, bitcoin mining went from CPU → GPU → FPGA → proper microchips as it scaled up.

1 Like

ARMS looks fantastic

dammit, I didn’t really want to get a switch yet

ARMS’s style looks super generic and forgettable. Maybe it’s that this techno-sport setting has been done too often before. Anyway, looks like they failed to pull off another Splatoon here.

ilu guys

ARMS looks the closest thing to Power Stone I’ve seen since

and people say I can be dismissive

Every time I see something about ARMS I have no idea if I want to play it or not. I wish the gloves had more creative names. I love Min Min.

It’s mostly my high expectations for Nintendo. They’ve several times now in their modern 3d games achieved this combination of crisp readability, polished prettiness and distinctiveness (in Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, BotW, Splatoon). Whereas this looks fine, but in the same league as Blizzard, Ubisoft, Activision.

I guess the same loosening up and fresh blood that led to Splatoon/BotW might also inevitably lead to experiments that don’t work quite so perfectly, so I might think of this (and Mario Odyssey) as part of a good process overall even though I’m ambivalent about the specific games. I tried to trace the studio/staff trends in their recent games on Wikipedia, but it looks like they merged most everybody into one giant “EPD” blob so it’s impossible.

So a screwball on Twitter named @burgerdrome wrote a dumbass article

I fought with him on Twitter all day about the fact he doesn’t point out anything positive that Steam has done and that it’s just crazy negative for no reason
(not that steam can’t improve but bad writing isn’t helping anyone)

Anywho…

IDK there it is.

Yeah this all looks fine to me.

because valve is garbage and he’s right

Steam can be both hostile and rent-seeking and much better than all previous storefronts and have saved PC games and created a much better scene for small developers than has ever existed and continue to be on the leading edge of consumer-friendly features

8 Likes

so we’re just going to ignore that Nintendo was was worse in the NES days? or that we have a more diverse amount of games because of a platform that allowed for varied pricing? Or that without Steam there’s no Humble Bundle?

Yes Steam can and should be better, but honestly, they’re digital distribution, and the best at it. Is there room for improvement, should we always argue for the consumer over corporate greed? Critisim is good, and steam gets it all the time. But that article has no mitigation, it’s just a take down. There’s good and bad, and Steam overall has been good for video games, sure they suck up a lot of money, but ultimately they get more to creators, and again allowed smaller developers to have a market.