MUWT 2: The Quickening

Lady Bird I know this isn’t what you need to hear right now but sexuality… is a spectrum.

2 Likes
6 Likes

can any/all of ya’ll give me a list of films i should see that came out last year, all i’ve seen is get out, baby driver, okja, star wars (2017 film), and…bright…

did you see The Red Turtle, 2017’s best movie about turtle fucking?

Everyone should see Colossal

1 Like

Clothing themed double feature:
Phantom Thread (haven’t seen it yet but prolly great)
Personal Shopper

brawl in cell block 99 seems pretty well praised, though I haven’t seen it myself

a new naomi kawase film called ‘hikari’ was released last year if i’m not mistaken. it’s probably really good

I was skeptical on Vince Vaughn being a genuinely scary menacing dude due to the much maligned True Detective Season 2, but he absolutely is in Cell Block 99.

I recommend it if you like lots of bone crunching noises.

2 Likes

I missed out on seeing The Florida Project, Good Time and Raw but heard good things about them. Verhoeven’s Elle came out last year in some places, strongly recommended if you can stomach it.

Free Fire was really entertaining, so was Lady Macbeth. Seconding Personal Shopper for sure. Blade Runner 2049 is uneven but ultimately interesting. Also check out Blade of the Immortal and The Villainness. Along those same lines of action movies, John Wick: Chapter 2 delivered and Atomic Blonde has a couple compelling action setpieces but that’s about all it has.

2 Likes

The Florida Project and the films like it—Tangerine, Moonlight, and Good Time—center characters ranging from generations Y to Z, all brought up in a culture of aspiration coupled with crumbling economic infrastructure. The older set appear disillusioned throughout each film, and their dreams have become much more grounded: Halley wants a regular job; Connie, the small-time thief of Good Time, played by Robert Pattinson, wants to keep his brother. This generation’s dreams were built off the foundations of a liberal meritocracy declaring that you can do anything that you put your mind to. But Sin-Dee, Connie, Chiron, and Halley wind up in their unfortunate situations not because of what they do but because of who they are. Their identities—those derived from race and/or class—become active forces in their lives, and we as viewers are made privy to how little control they’ve had about how their lives have formed around them. Tangerine, for example, only follows Alexandra and Sin-Dee’s misadventures on Christmas day, but it’s enough to serve as a microcosm for their little economic security due to being Black and transgender. They latch onto whatever provides stability in their lives, whether it be a cheating boyfriend or a shot at fame.

The children in The Florida Project, meanwhile, retain the wonder that protects them from their situations. Though Moonee and her friends do express slivers of their hopes and dreams, they keep their eyes down toward the grass, whereas children from wealthier backgrounds may look to the sky.

Rather than postponing the hyperconsumerist dystopia to a few years down the line (as in Blade Runner) or arguing that technocratic utopia is right under our noses if we just worked hard and believed in ourselves (as Tomorrowland does), Baker grapples with the loss of this 20th century dream by distilling it through our reality, via children who’ve ceased to dream and started making do with what’s right in front of them.

7 Likes

okay I’m def gonna see this first, sounds like it’s got a bunch of characters I relate to

The shared cinematic universe we need

8 Likes

Moonlight is amazing and has one of the most emotionally devastating conclusions I’ve ever seen

8 Likes

just wanted to put this vending machine from Out of Time (2003) somewhere

7 Likes

I saw Phantom Thread and loved it.

I can sense the readings (or more appropriately misreadings) into the relationship of the film. It is very much a gothic romance with DDL (Reynolds Woodcock) as the Byronic type. However I feel Vicky Krieps (Alma Elson) is the true dom of the relationship/hero of the story, and that the darkly comic yet in some respects romantically optimistic ending makes it clear.

PTA is very much in top form. He does the brunt of the cinematography for the first time (his work in driving scenes is particularly strong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHso_OCwCs) and his utilization of Jonny Greenwood’s score (perhaps Greenwood’s best work full stop) is masterful in creating an overall atmosphere of delirious romanticism.

I think it should be said that the movie often feels like a food movie than a fashion one. DDL has a truly inhuman literal appetite and metabolism in this. He really is a hungry boy.

3 Likes

vlcsnap-2018-01-20-21h18m18s023

tfw you need money so you take a contract hit from the mob then spend the advance gambling and win a small fortune and don’t want to risk your new life on the job so your hire your own assassin to do it but after a week of french new wave type lovey dovey shit like cutting each other’s hair badly fall in love and don’t want to risk their life on the job either

12 Likes

I saw Phantom Thread in a theater with a total of six people in it, two of which left after about an hour. I felt kinda guilty because I couldn’t stop laughing at Woodcock’s breakfast order in that scene where he meets Alma.

Even if I didn’t like it, I’d be glad just to have a new Jonny Greenwood soundtrack, but I also really, really liked it. I was a bit worried going in it’d be another “difficult men” movie, but the Reynolds/Cyril/Alma dynamic is so much better than that.

Does anyone know if her being named Alma is intended as a Persona reference? I haven’t seen it recently enough to make good comparisons.

2 Likes

You Were Never Really Here has a greenwood soundtrack too

2 Likes

I keep thinking about how Reynolds’ body and clothes inform his character - he’s a very slight person who’s literally built up through tailoring. It helps that, compared to some other regional styles, english tailoring is intended to do just that kind of compensatory thing. It’s most clearly seen, I think, in the chalk striped double breasted suit he’s usually wearing. The slightly extended, but soft, shoulder and draped chest help give him a kind of imposing elegance, so, imo, it’s really disarming when you later see him sick and sweating through pajamas.

4 Likes