MUWT 2: The Quickening

Siren is a tie in with the second game. It features MTV Cribs style slow motion speed up establishing shots. It features minimal farsight-zombos-hellscape netherplane. The kinetic energy of the boring first half eventually drowns under them not having any budget to do anything and none of the actors being any good.

There is a 4 minute scene where the heroine reads and excel article full of information the audience has already seen. We see the openning scene again.

Despite that there are several multicam style scenes where either they film the scene 5 times from different angles or filmed once with 5 cameras. It was uhh strangely noticable.

Good movie to yell at with friends.

Taking Of Pelham 123 was a boring older movie but that final shot had me cough laughing for three minutes straight.

1 Like

Here is my top 10 movies, 2017:

1. Paterson: Happy Night in the Woods

2. Mother! : Aronofsky made a metaphorical story with Xenogearesque biblical references about how heā€™s a shitty boyfriend to Jennifer Lawrence. She broke up with him afterwards. Whatā€™s not to love

3. Your name: This is definitely Anime BS but I did almost cry at the end so there you go

4. Good time: See title

5. Open at Night: French comedy that maybe wasnā€™t even released in the states, moving on

6. Okja: I mean, big guts to put such a huge anti-meat message in this blockbuster

7. Dunkirk: Oh no Iā€™m running out of time

8. Raw

9. Get out

10. Faces Places

6 Likes

Hereā€™s my best-of for the year:

1. Twin Peaks: The Return - It totally counts, damnit! This may have aired as TV, but itā€™s one of David Lynchā€™s greatest works of cinema. My whole summer was all about this show.

2. The Florida Project - This captured Orlando, FL perfectly. It portrayed the experience of extreme poverty without judgement, but also without condescending sentimentality or romanticism. It was empathetic without being exploitative. It really situated me in the point of view of a child. The ending made me cry.

3. Fraud - Not enough people saw this, and fully explaining whatā€™s great about it would spoil the movie. A documentary filmmaker found a youtube channel full of hundreds of hours of home movies from a family obsessively documenting their lives. From that footage he constructed a narrative of their lives, including an act of insurance fraud and arson that they committed and filmed. The family is punch drunk on consumerism, and the way the movie documents this is mind blowing. This thing has more to say about class in America than pretty much any other film Iā€™ve ever seen. Also, itā€™s directed by the person who made Marcel the Shell, weirdly enough. Donā€™t look up anything more, just watch this movie.

4. Raw - Amazing French coming-of-age body horror film. The sibling relationship in this is so well-drawn. The scene with the finger was so visceral, so awkward, so funny, and so horrifying. It was maybe the moment that stuck with me the most from any film this year.

5. Good Time - One of the most effective one-night-in-NYC thrillers I can think of. Tense all the way through, and the way the main character operates will baffle and impress you.

6. Get Out - Not much I need to say about this one, itā€™s all been said. Jordan Peele is such an exciting new voice in cinema. I can feel that this dude is going to be a great American master.

7. Okja - The worldā€™s cutest and funniest eco-terrorists. I loved this movieā€™s simple absurdist vibe.

8. Dawson City: Frozen Time - This is a collage film documentary about the discovery of a collection of frozen film reels buried in the ice under a hockey rink in the gold rush city of Dawson in the Yukon. The collection contained a bunch of silent films that were formerly thought to be lost. This film tells the story of Dawson City, the gold rush, and the film prints by using footage from those prints themselves. I have a real soft spot for collage film, and this one is done very well.

9. Nocturama - I still donā€™t know whether I think this film is good, but I can tell itā€™s going to stick with me more than most films I saw this year. Itā€™s hard to explain but thereā€™s something about this thing.

10. Blade Runner 2049 - I want more epic, uncompromising big-budget sci-fi art films please!

7 Likes

I finally watched Logan, it was actually pretty good imo. It felt kind of like a Marvel movie in the style of the Marvel Netflix shows. The good ones at least. I can imagine that wolverine hanging out with Jessica Jones

haha comparisons to marvel netflix made me lose all interest in eventually watching this

I liked that they did the Fury Road thing and released a B&W version as well, which works pretty well. Also that they made the comics exist in the universe.

1 Like

Maybe thatā€™s for the best, though basically that comparison amounts to there being more violence, drinking, and talking than most Marvel movies. It also has (at least) two (simulated) long-take action sequences that are kind of a hallmark of the Netflix shows. There is nothing nearly as hamfisted as the Daredevil courtroom antics/deus ex ninjitsu. Iā€™d say if you hated even Jessica Jones you probably would not get anything out of Logan.

Everyone says ā€œfuckā€ a lot! Itā€™s weird to hear Professor X say ā€œFuck!ā€

There is one sequence that totally just becomes way too ā€œedgyā€ for my liking and makes the whole thing just feel incredibly dismal and mean spirited, rather than just gritty and dark. If youā€™ve seen it you know what Iā€™m talking about Iā€™m sure. any time a movie introduces innocent bystander supporting characters with relative depth only to kill them all off for the sake of motivating the main characters, I just get really sad. But I guess itā€™s cool to see Eriq La Salle again

But other than that I liked it. For some reason based on the trailers and the Old Man Logan comparisons I thought it was meant to be totally post-apocalyptic, but itā€™s actually set in a somewhat plausible ā€œnear-futureā€ setting. The score is also pretty good for a Marvel movie.

It also has a surprising amount of ā€œworld buildingā€ crammed into like 2 dialogue lines, things that would have been entire unneeded subplots in a normal X Men movie (Genetically engineered Corn Syrup making it so that no mutants have been born in 20 years, Wolverine being slowly poisoned to death by his adamantium skeleton, Professor X having basically accidentally killed all the X-Men after having a psychic seizure, etc.it also has the least stupid ā€œultimate villain is a dark reflection of the protagonistā€ gimmick in any superhero movie Iā€™ve seen, but it is still pretty stupid)

4 Likes

lemme think, what did I like this year

• the square ā€“ one of the better palme dā€™or winners in a while imo

• woodshock ā€“ this was a much better use of the setting & subject matter than I hoped!

• ingrid goes west ā€“ pretty effectively horrifying, though the last half drops the ball a bit

• meyerowitz stories ā€“ a lot of people I donā€™t normally like all got together and did something really endearing

• get out ā€“ this was miraculously smart & entertaining & mainstream

apparently elle and toni erdmann only got US theatrical releases this year and both were great too

havenā€™t seen: florida project, death of stalin

1 Like

okay so I gotta watch Ingrid goes west and Raw apparently

1 Like

oh and I think the only non-festival movies I saw in theatres were fate of the furious and the last jedi and neither one disappointed so thereā€™s that!

that was this year?

god it has been a long year

just googling a bunch of best-of-year lists and esquireā€™s seems pretty well chosen as far as the stuff Iā€™ve actually seen so I might use that as a guide to others http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a52209/best-movies-of-2017/

has anyone itt watched Wormwood yet? I have not been a huge fan of other true crime type stuff as of late (and this is why, I think, although I liked American Vandal I wasnā€™t as thrilled by it as other people have been), but it is Errol Morris after all so I figure it would still be worth watching. Canā€™t decide if itā€™s the sort of thing I really want to devote so many hours to.

Itā€™s really, really good, especially if you are interested in the CIAā€™s dirty little secrets. Itā€™s also only 6 episodes which are like 45 min each, not that much of an investment in this day and age

1 Like

Damn, I hadnā€™t heard of Wormwood at all. Iā€™m a huge Errol Morris fan. I gotta check this out!

Watched the first episode of Wormwood tonight. The production and editing are quite good and the story has good hooks so far! Iā€™m impressed by it. Think the only other Morris stuff Iā€™ve seen is Vernon, Florida.

I did like American Vandal, although I may not have watched the whole thing had I not been sick when it came out. A lot of my enjoyment of it was as a sort of biting criticism of Serial and other true crime shows. American Vandal leans pretty heavily into satire and Wormwood doesnā€™t seem to at all.

1 Like

My end of year movie list of movies I saw this year that stayed with me (it is hella pedestrian because I am obsessed with the spectacle).

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Logan
Spider-man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
John Wick: Chapter 2
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Blade Runner 2049

I also saw Split and Wonder Woman but I was kind of meh on both. Split is just another M. Night Shyamalan movie that hints at some of his other movies taking place in a shared universe which is only interesting if you already like his movies and Wonder Woman, while generally being a decent enough superhero origin story movie with good performances from the leads, kind of drags on a bit too long and overstays its welcome by the time the end finally does arrive.

Saw Lego Batman as well and while it was fun I donā€™t really have any interest in watching it again. Alien: Covenant as well. It was a visual feast but as a story about humans and androids and a xenomorph it didnā€™t really do much for me. Every time the plot did anything it was like, yep, saw that one coming and yep, thatā€™s a twist thatā€™s going to come back in the next movie etc.

Still want to see:

Justice League
Thor: Ragnorok
Atomic Blonde
War for the Planet of the Apes
The Mummy with Tom Cruise
Ghost in the Shell

and other stuff I guess but it can all wait until I catch it on cable or Netflix or amazon or whatever random movie streaming site is working this week etc.

1 Like

The film I had the most fun with in a theater was Ghost In The Shell.

Oh man I totally forgot about the Apes movie. It ruled.