MUWT 2: The Quickening

Last night Errol Morris (who lives in and shoots his films in the Boston area) showed his new film American Dharma at the Harvard Film Archive and spoke about it afterward. In the tradition of his previous films Mr. Death, The Fog of War, and The Unknown Known, it’s a feature-length interview with an absolutely terrible piece of shit. This time it’s Steve Bannon.

Morris has had a hell of a time with this film. It’s gotten a more negative reception than any of his past work. It still doesn’t have a distributor. Nobody wants to release it. It’s gotten a scathing critical response. People are mad at him for giving Bannon a platform, and they criticize him for treating Bannon with kid gloves. Well, I saw the film for myself. I’m a big fan of Morris’s work, but this film is… pretty bad!

Morris’s previous films in this vein all worked because each managed to get to the absolute core of its subject and expose the inherent contradiction or emptiness in their worldview. He was able to surgically dissect the subject and display their guts to the camera, without the subject even realizing it. You hear that the subject actually liked the documentary, and then you watch it and you think “how the hell do they not see that they look like a fucking maniac?” Because Morris gets the subject to open up so deeply that the subject looks at the film and sees a mirror, but the audience looks at it and sees right through them. Morris did not pull this off in American Dharma for a number of reasons.

First off, Morris inserts himself into this film in a way he never really had before. In his previous films, you’d occasionally hear his voice asking a question or prompting, but in this one you hear entire conversations between Morris and Bannon. Unlike his previous films, it’s often less the subject explaining themselves and more of an argument between political rivals. And when they argue, Morris just isn’t that good at it! He sometimes makes a good point (e.g. that all Bannon’s ‘economic populism’ is really in service of the wealthy), but then he lets Bannon give a typical dissembling response and drops it, moving on to the next subject.

Morris clearly does not understand Bannon at all. He comes off as totally out of touch with the political moment. At one point Morris tells Bannon “at times you remind me of Lucifer in Paradise Lost, that quote, ‘Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven’.” Bannon agrees and seems very happy with the comparison. During the director Q&A after the film, Morris talked about how outrageous it was that Bannon compared himself to the devil. He was like “typically when you interview someone, they don’t invite comparisons like that, they don’t want you to call them evil.” I was thinking “you fucking old out of touch liberal, have you never seen a Joker meme?”

Morris seemed to think that it was sufficient that he elicited a full description of Bannon’s shitty ideology and put it all on screen. He thought that the inherent contradictions and nihilism spoke for themselves. But anyone who’s been paying any attention already knows that it’s nihilistic and contradictory. That’s what fascism is. He never got Bannon to reveal anything private about himself. The guy was always totally comfortable, in his element. He’s a practiced bullshitter, and he spent the entire film bullshitting. I felt like Bannon was more in control of this film than Morris. And that’s a fucking depressing thought.

7 Likes

this is amazing

i watched this canadian tv documentary called malls r us also that has some interviews w people that compare religious architecture and symbolism with mall architecture

water, natural light, trees

1 Like

for film fans and mall fans,

just learned that this 1988 sammo hung movie was filmed in the west edmonton mall, which was (for a time) the biggest mall in the world
(there are many bigger ones now though)

the channel of the second vid has lots of other videos on the history of this weird thing.

on a more personal note, this movie was filmed in edmonton where i live now, but in the movie it is supposed to be los angeles, where i used to live. i find this very implausible.

1 Like

It’s Extremely Stupid but maybe the only movie where you can see two different Academy Award Winning Actors go head-to-head as two different variations of a Steven Seagal character at different Restraint Levels?

When they run around Portland and it’s endless “wait geography doesn’t work like that” I assume that’s what it’s like for people who are familiar with NYC or LA when watching movies just all the time.

The knife making thing is conceivable but it would take for fucking ever to get your scrap leaf-spring to workable temp without some kind of forced air. He’d be there all day between heats, getting barely anything out of each one with his awkward spring hammer and the makeshift anvil that doesn’t have any mass underneath it (should have found a big rock to lay it on, or just used a big flat rock?). On review the montage acts like it takes likes… an hour? No. He hasn’t even hit a thing with another thing by then.

They don’t account for how he cut the knife end off the rest of the spring. Probably a chisel made out of the end of another piece of spring, which would take more time and more heats, though I guess he could alternate one and the other if he was thinking ahead.

There’s a real danger of cracking when you quench spring steel with that thin a cross section in water, especially cold, running water. Especially if you’re way over critical temp, which he defo is if it’s that bright in fucking daylight! They don’t show him tempering it. Probably should have just done an edge quench and kept your fingers crossed, Benicio.

No matter how close to finished shape he forged he’d still be at the mercy of found, local abrasives to finish the edge which could take a very long time depending on what he found and the form they took and the specifics of his obviously shoddy heat treatment.

In conclusion it’s a strong character moment but it doesn’t happen like that and the cops have already found him by the sound of the “hammer” blows (and the smoke from the fire) within two heats. Should have just used whatever cut the keyhole slot in the bottom board he used for fire-starting (his teeth? his dick??) to make some sticks pointier and stabbed Tommy Lee Jones with them. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Oh hey I know this mall.

1 Like

Farocki is 100% my favourite filmmaker he blows my mind.

1 Like

Polar’s entire conclusion is framed as a subplot up until they ran out of action. There’s a big ol’ shootout scene near Mad’s cabin that feels like a movie conclusion but it ends up being the end of the second act. There’s also a specific sequence afterward that I thought ‘they made this movie purely because they really liked this scene.’

When they revealed their source was a graphic novel I was not surprised.

1 Like

i’m looking forward to it for tighten Mads but none of this is surprising me

1 Like

I stuck with the movie purely on the basis of Mads.

the dragon ball movie is so hype, what the fuck

1 Like

I always think we’re at peak Netflix then we get a Soderbergh Zazie Beetz vehicle out of nowhere

1 Like

man an alt-history black empowerment version of the 2011 NBA lockout that contains almost no actual basketball is the most niche concept on earth but that was a solid flick

girlfriend experience, magic mike, and this one really make for a labor/bodies as commodities college syllabus

5 Likes

being 14 is watching little miss sunshine and thinking its cool when dwayne screams “fuck”, being 22 is crying at that part and the part where he says ‘do what u love and fuck the rest’, and noticing the dad’s character is funny because hes a self help guy who commits the sin of actually believing his own bullshit

america’s motto is ‘let delusions drive you’

1 Like

I watched dirty dancing last night. now i get why people were real sad when patrick swayze died. he brings a lot of, uh, pathos? to a sort of dirtbag character, and his transformation from gruff hard-ass to sensitive guy feels earned. especially because it doesn’t feel like a transformation…more of “letting himself be seen.”

jennifer grey is of course wonderful as well. her good-girl-doing-naughty-things doesn’t feel forced at all - she’s just…learning i guess.

anyway, she’s supposed to be 17 and he’s definitely at least 27 so that’s creepy

1 Like

my favourite anecdote about Patrick Swayze is how apparently for years every time Road House was on cable, Joel and Bill Murray would call Kelly Lynch’s husband and say “hey. turn on channel 33. Patrick Swayze is sleeping with your wife again.”

3 Likes

When I was a kid, every once in a while my parent’s would play their copy of the Dirty Dancing soundtrack on cassette at night, when everyone was in bed, at high volume. It would come blasting down the hall

I

HAD

THE TIME OF MY LIFE

etc.

I don’t know how old I was when I figured out that it meant they were putting things into other things, etc. but now I can’t be confronted with Dirty Dancing without thinking of my folks doin’ it so thanks Mom + Dad?

4 Likes

I, too, will now think of your parents having sex when I watch Dirty Dancing

6 Likes

you’re welcome

1 Like

To hide my sex crimes from my parents it was definitely TV volume on 50, DVDs of Fifth Element and Rush Hour thru the PS2

were you a big chris tucker fan

2 Likes