MUWT 2: The Quickening

Yeah, there are occasionally OK things in the movie, which made the rest even more depressing. It was far from the worst movie I hopped to, but definitely one of the ones that left me feeling the most disappointed.

is hitchhiker’s guide the end of the era of directing music videos as a pipeline to directing feature films

1 Like

She’s still more interesting in the radio series!!! it’s 5 steps backwards!!!

god i’m angry

1 Like

it was all over for Trillian as soon as they cast Zooey Deschanel. she’s terrrrible.

The puppet aliens are so goddamn fucking good

1 Like

I just saw Burning. I don’t know how I feel about it, except that I am so done with sad, disaffected, self-centered young loner dude protagonists who have problems with women. This movie was basically one form of toxic masculinity vs. another. The movie seemed aware of this at least, and I guess was commenting on it? But the one main lady character didn’t get much of any interiority, which made the whole thing feel gross. It was pretty miserable to sit through for a lot of it. It turns into a mystery thriller thing in the second half in a way that was mildly enjoyable though, and it had a pretty cool ending.

Good commentary on wealth disparity in South Korea too, I felt that the film was strongest when it was going hard on that theme.

1 Like

Might I recommend Masahiro Shinoda’s Our Marriage. Same director as Flame On The Pier. It’s a film in which a woman has to choose between marrying her poor sweatheart or a well-to-do man in post war Japan. No one is a villian! It’s just a sweet little movie that as all post-war Japan films show, post war Japan fucking sucks. And it isn’t just a love versus money thing it is love and hungry versus having the base comforts in life guaranteed.

For better or for worse, now I can’t stop thinking about Burning. I think it crept up on me. One of those movies like Nocturama where I’m not really sure I liked it, but it really stuck in my brain.

Also I was reading critical takes on it online (which are pretty universally positive) and I was reminded of a crucial scene where a woman totally schools the main character on how South Korean society is terrible to women. Further evidence that the film knew what it was doing, even if it felt kinda dodgy at times.

1 Like

wehoa

5 Likes
13 Likes

Can love bloom during motion capture?

3 Likes

Hideo says YES

1 Like

7 Likes

Hideo to announce new Death Stranding mobile gatcha tie in, preorder for bonus Naked Mads in freeze

finally got around to watch Glass, and I agree, like you mentioned the idea of setting up the big superhero showdown like that was a nice idea

and they got me there as well, when that TV news report introduced the osaka tower, i was all ‘yeah OK, that’s going to play a role in this story, alright’… i expected the shyamalan trademark twist to be the great escape from Samuel L., though that was quite a nice surprise.

also, am i the only person that was kind of irritated that during the third day trial-esque scene, the turtle neck of psychologist was sloped? i was expecting that it magically got corrected in the next scene, but no, it remains that way throughout the whole scene, so it may have been a deliberate choice.
I interpreted this as a way of showing that the audience should get that she’s not perfect as well, though in hindsight, it was probably just Mr Shyamalan being obsessed with details, because that would be a weird way of foreshadowing…

Anyway, i liked Glass better than Split, though i haven’t seen unbreakable for a long time, so that may/may not be the better of this trilogy.

Unbreakable is the only good adaptation of Beowulf in any medium send tweet

4 Likes

this is gonna be my favorite movie that i absolutely never watch

i like to take every possible moment to recommend people getting into anthony wong’s extremely poorly conceived singing career

(this song actually owns though)

3 Likes

i saw ‘the interview’ by harun farocki (not seth rogen) and now i need to watch every harun farocki documentary there is

3 Likes

Rules
a92cacfc4afa9cfd28f4121b68e6f0c5471791b4_full

1 Like