MST2K17

I hope it was just a one way thing and they didnt hear me!

2 Likes

I saw the RiffTrax version of this and there was at least one line that made the GF and I ugly-laugh enough that we had to pause it

Have they ever done a Full Moon feature before? I feel like if they’re going to branch out into stuff the old show wouldn’t have done, and also far more genuinely good bad than the pandering of The Asylum.

They did a bunch of family films too, so if the violence and nudity is an issue they could chose one of those. Magic Island or Prehysteria would be a great fit, IMO

I misread that as ‘talking shit in earshot’ and I got huuge second hand anxiety lol

1 Like

I’d only do that to Mike.

I don’t want to know how he’s progressed since vocally supporting GW Bush and the Iraq War. I’m kind of afraid.

1 Like

i like the new season but i miss the season 11 commercial bumpers even if they were fake. i think the rhythm of the show feels better with them

When they ran one of the season 11 episodes on Pluto and YouTube for the marathon last Saturday, they used the fake commercial breaks to insert actual commercials. I wonder if those were designed pre streaming deal and weren’t intended to be fake.

1 Like

that’s possible! but they were at least made with the knowledge they were going to be on netflix cause one of the bumpers is patton oswalt describing…the bumpers and how they are meant to evoke the feeling of a commercial break in a place with no commercials

1 Like

really amazing how Erhardt of all people shows back up lol

1 Like

i have a cold so spent the day in bed binging the new season. I think it’s much better than the last season, much better pacing with the jokes, the host segments actually made me laugh a few times, and the mads have settled with a “dorks who are bad at being evil” thing which I enjoy. still a few things that rub me the wrong way but for the most part had a good time with this season

i also thought it was funny that one character came back, though i was disappointed they didn’t say their catchphrase

also holy shit altantic rim is an awful movie, how can you fuck up a movie with giant robots and monsters os badly

2 Likes

the worst thing was the ending, the payoff for what they were leading up to was incredibly underwhelming

Live MST3K cast from earlier today:

It’s… extremely odd? For some reason they watched an old episode of Joel’s, and then commented over Joel’s old riffs, rather than do a movie themselves. Maybe it’s meant to be like a “watch party”, rather than an episode.

Anyways, cute that they did it at all, cool seeing a female host. Only time I can remember that ever happening was when Pearl switched places with Mike for the first half of… I think Delta Knights, which was great.

They set her up as the new host at the end of the last live tour… for future live tours I guess, as the Netflix show was still alive and well at that point.

1 Like

I watched the brand new El Santo episode last weekend, and I guess it was ok.

Sometime still just feels off about it. The old shows sort of felt like a weird thing from weird people for weird people, and now it sort of feels adjacent to the nerdy Hot Topic/Gamestop T-shirt rack sort of humor. I know we had a nerd monoculture back then hence all the Star Trek jokes, but bringing up Dark Souls just to bring up Dark Souls just sort of feels like they know who butters their Kickstarter bread.

I would have watched this movie on its own. I think getting stuff from Shout’s library rather than cut for TV movies with zero home video prospects hurts the endeavor too.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good way to put it.

I think part of what made the Joel and Mike-era MST3K particularly funny was that it was these comedians making jokes for each other, saying stuff that they got a laugh out of. It made it a specific, unique Minnesota-style humor that felt really genuine.

I like the new stuff and all, but, it’s so broadened for mass appeal, so targeted and calculated and scripted, it’s hard to find that genuine spirit.

I want to see how the new host is, at the least, that can really make or break an era of MST3K.

4 Likes