Movies You Watched Today: Return Of The Thread (Part 1)

sadly kate mantilini, the beverly hills hollywood douche restaurant where pacino and deniro have their scene in heat together, no longer exists

you could just cut out the middle man and visit the site of the north hollywood shootout

wandering around the less gentrified parts of downtown la in the middle of the night will probably make you feel like you’re in collateral but be careful and use the buddy system i guess

2 Likes

still can’t believe club silencio/fireman’s theater was turned into a fucking apple store

6 Likes

Watched The Great Muppet Caper last night. Full-body suit Miss Piggy is peak cinema.

highdivepiggy

8 Likes

Gunpowder Milkshake was a video game cutscene for 2 hours. Gunpowder Milkshake was girlboss John Wick in the worst possible way. It was extremely fine but offended my sensibilities deeply.

I like Karen Gillan a lot but her accent is vaguely atrocious and she’s not that good at fight choreography.

the second-to-last scene was just this, except with a small girl:

2 Likes

Oh this movie sucked ass. And with such a great cast too

The last panning slo mo action shot was pretty cool. Everything else, bad

1 Like

thought I should rewatch Pale Flower which I first saw almost exactly seven years ago (must be something in the august night air) and it turns out it’s still my favorite yakuza film

12 Likes

should’a watched Garth M. instead!

the obvious answer to so many, many instances of disappointed media usage.

1 Like

I want to see this.

4 Likes

seconded, that sounds awesome!

Saw the suicide squad sequel. Very gory and violent and fun.

Going to watch The Empty Man tonight. No idea what this is, but I am suspicious about the way I have seen people talk about it, give it quiet praise, but never say where they heard of it or what motivated them past the generic poster and title and premise to actually watch the thing. Where did this film come from? It is shrouded in mystery to me.

2 Likes

I heard of it on SB (for obvious reasons) and I thought it was pretty good. Like, obvs flawed but it hit a lot of great notes, and I actually love the unwieldy structure. It’s impressive for a debut.

2 Likes

Did anyone else check out Jesus Shows You The Way to the Highway? I can’t decide if I was into it or not.

Ah this background is so interesting, knew nothing about it. But I did end up liking it quite a bit. I basically agree with you both, it’s super impressive for a debut feature film. There were some really great scenes, a lot of interesting cinematography, super eerie throughout, and this super grumbly and heightened noir line about how you can’t solve cases like these because they’re too big and “you can’t indict the cosmos.”

1 Like

Re-posting but a good conversation with the Director of Empty Man

Everything Zen: David Prior on “The Empty Man” on Notebook | MUBI

1 Like

Empty Man should’ve been two separate movies.

watched the night of the hunter again and once again realized that never has water looked more beautiful than in the river sequence

6 Likes

the silent hill movie was fun, like glossy 2000s studio horror bent out of shape by the source material, so that what it lacks in dread it sort of makes up for with a weird kind of manic energy in never being sure how they’re next gonna approach the wire mesh hell dimension. it drags whenever they start talking and there are plenty of corny touches but i dunno, even then i was somehow pretty charmed by the sense of videogame logic and movie logic running interference on each other. trying to check out the school after seeing a creepy drawing labelled “school” or extract a key you don’t need from a corpse’s mouth only to be tackled and arrested by the motorcycle cop from the first act instead. it draws pretty heavily from the first game but in some weird ways, like a bunch of the vgm tracks are reused here and there’s a direct reproduction of the camerawork in that one bit from the start of sh1 where you’re going down an alleyway and the camera seems to lurch straight up a wall as you pass (is this the silent hill equivalent of the “dogs jump through the window” bit??). also it’s nearly all women in the town sequences since they took most of the supporting characters from sh1 but changed the dad to a mom, which is kind of cool but to counterbalance it they added a truly unnecessary subplot with sean bean solving mysteries outside the town. there’s a very minor nun character who’s presented as cartoonishly loving and kind presumably to ward off any accusations of bias towards the religious orders, since the other main religious spokesfigure is played by the lady who was the borg queen on star trek first contact. pyramid head and some evil nurses make surprisingly brief appearances. there’s some bad 2000s cgi that may actually be more uncanny looking now than the good kind would be, particularly in the part about being chased through a maze by evil kids. i liked the ending!

8 Likes

rewatched Miracle Mile with my gf and it’s as good as I remember
Acting is very hammy throughout and the script is iffy but it’s incredibly well directed and composed, great pacing and tension

4 Likes