methods of input (Part 1)

Obligatory dongle latency post: most of the 360/PS3 era sticks from Hori and Madcatz have inexplicable latency issues. They’re not terrible, but expect 1-2 frames of latency.

You can always replace the PCB with something found here:
https://www.focusattack.com/hardware-pcb/console-fighting/ps3ps4

$12 for a zero-delay usb encoder! not bad! should be a pretty easy DIY project.

1 Like

Oh yeah defo get a wired model.

Oh, it’s not about wired vs wireless. The encoders that were used in the HRAP series up until the revised HRAP 5 and in the Madcatz sticks until the TE2 had latency. Bummer!

2 Likes

I failed to realise your user id is in fact, dongle :confounded:

Looks like i’ll be getting a new encoder!

1 Like

One thing I don’t get is why every stick I see has a square gate and then in the comments on every store page people talk about changing it for an octogonal one.

Some people find it difficult to hit the diagonals on a square gate but I’ve never had an issue. Maybe see if you can try a friends out to see what you think?

1 Like

Square gates are what Arcades use. So that is the real pro option.

Octo gates which are easy enough to install are what I put in mine.

It is reallynot hard to replace the innards.

I mean since you really don’t know what you want I would maybe go the guitar route and get the cheapest chinese knockoff then figure out what you hate about it.

2 Likes

That’s also an option I had in mind! Especially since I already do it with guitars while I’m learning. (I just recently bought another 81€ guitar after my 30€ guitar gave up the ghost after, what, 10 years? I only used it for a couple of months in all that time though, thus still/again learning.)

I see a 30€ stick on my local amazon page and that’s an option. The other is to wait and save and then buy a quanba carbon for 80€. I’ll give it like 2 months to see if I still play Tekken 7 then and then I’ll buy whatever I can reasonably afford.

Thanks for the advice y’all!

Quanba are good except they are very large.

1 Like

@BLUE_BLACK_PURPLE don’t go the cheap stick route, buy the other gate and switch them so you can test. Just need to research your stick to make sure you can/do get the right part. It’ll be way cheaper.

1 Like

it should be noted that if you don’t cheap out and get a Real Stick you’re good to go for an eternity. the only thing you’d ever have to worry about is wanting to eventually play a fighting game on a platform you can’t plug your stick into. I’m no super fightmans player, but I’ve had my current stick since I preordered SFIV and there’s nothing wrong with it. that was like eight and half years ago (?!?!?!??). maybe one day I’ll replace the buttons, which is not exactly a difficult proposition.

1 Like

In Rudie’s guitar analogy a Mad Catz WWE stick is a Mexican Telecaster.

4 Likes

Now that pretty much every fighting game dev has been shamed into using the “Legacy Controller” driver the Skullgirls folks commissioned, you probably don’t even need to replace the board again to keep playing on PS4. In some games, like ASW’s releases, it’s arguably superior to playing in “PS4 mode” because your Select button still works for training mode reset instead of taking screenshots.

It’s a good time to buy a high-quality expensive controller exactly once.

1 Like

my stick is a 360 stick though, so I probably have to do something fancy to get it to work on PS4. works fine on everything PC though. that’s good enough for me.

Oh, yeah, you probably need an adapter for those. The ones that are out there are pretty reliable*. If you got an old dual-mod done back in the PS3/360 days, you’d be covered, though.

*You need to download firmware updates every once in a while when Sony updates the system software.

Yeah, the gates aren’t expensive at all in my opinion so I’ll probably do just that.

Yeah, that’s a good argument. I might as well just shell out for a good one instead of buying a cheap one twice.[quote=“geist, post:167, topic:250”]
I preordered
[/quote]

say whaaaaat?

man street fighter iv was like the only game I wanted. I was waiting for that shit since like alpha 3 ok

1 Like

I’ll also say that the difference in feel between sanwa parts and something like horii parts is huuuuuuuuuuuuge, at least to me. the stick is more important, but even the buttons are night and day. my stick (the original madcatz sfiv stick) is 8 button with two hori buttons for the shit you’ll never use for some reason and if I ever touch those two buttons I basically feel violated

That much of a difference, huh? I thought that to me as non-arcadeplayer and non-connoisseur of sticks and buttons I’d probably be happy with whatever you gave me. But maybe not!

It is not that much of a difference (also the new Hori Hayabusa stuff is just as good as anything else). Builder’s grade B-tier Hori stuff from the PS3/360 era is totally usable.